Friend with ES problem rebuilding shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
This may be more appropriate for the tech problems area but, I'm looking for exposure to the most experience possible.

I have a friend (contrary to what some you assholes may think) who's ridden BMW's and Ducati's all his days. I've been extolling the virtues of the "bulletproof" Feejer to him as long as I can remember. So he finally succumbed and snagged a low-mile 2014 ES. Second time he rode it he noticed a bit of weeping from the rear shock. Didn't look critical so he rode it back to his Summer home in Washington. I just got an e-mail from him stating that he'd taken it to the local dealer who quoted him $3,300 plus labor for a new ES rear shock.

Does this sound right? Anybody else had an issue with the ES suspenders? Some will argue that he deserves whatever punishment comes his way for being stupid enough to listen to me. That being stipulated, if anybody has some constructive/instructive input I'd much appreciate it.

AK

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the shock needs a new seal and oil, commonly called a rebuild. I believe Yamaha's official position is that the ES shocks are to be sent to them for rebuild, I suspect any competent suspension shop could do it. Your friend needs to find a new dealer before he does anything.

This could be an interesting thread because there are probably a lot of ES shocks in need of a rebuild and I haven't heard of anyone who has found someone to do it.

This may be more appropriate for the tech problems area but, I'm looking for exposure to the most experience possible.
I have a friend (contrary to what some you assholes may think)
Way to endear yourself to the forum....
fool.gif

I'd suggest your friend sign up for the forum and ask advice himself in the Tech Problems area. I have 2 or 3 good suggestions I'd love share with him being a '14 ES owner who's already thought about stock shock maintenance.
wink.png

IF a person really went the route to buy a new OEM Yamaha rear shock, a local dealer shows the assembly for $2500:

https://parts.ecklundmotorsports.com/oemparts/a/yam/52869a0bf8700230dc2a753e/rear-suspension

No mention of the bike having any warranty on it?

One would think Yamaha could offer the shock alone w/o all of the other pieces-might be time to investigate the aftermarket suspension guys and see what they can do?

Thinking the purchase of a YES warranty is a good thing.

Subscribed to this thread.

OEM shock prices seems stupid crazy...gotta be someone who can replace seals, oil and N2.

--G

Hmmmm. Was he not subscripted to the Y.E.S. warrantee thought process ?

Seems you have been here for quite some time with your post count... Did you not steer him in the direction of this ?

Pretty sure that it's been spelled out quite frequently over many many years here on the forum..

$500 for 4 years

Following this, too . . . since it seems to address the concern that still has me uneasy with electronically adjustable suspension on a ST motorcycle. A couple preliminary questions:

1. Are there aftermarket shocks and fork internals for these ES beasts yet and what's the ransom?

2. Can the OEM shock be rebuilt, resprung, or tweaked by suspension pros like GP and Traxxion?

What's the cost of a non-ES shock? $485 or so? Installation? Easy-peasy. This is an example of why I remain leery of "state-of-the-art" technology and engineering. $3,300 for a shock replacement is simply outrageous (unless its BMW). Why has a '14 shock started leaking? Why isn't Yamaha stepping up to fix this? Even if it's out of warranty by a few days or weeks, a $3,300 failure ought to be remedied.

(Bought a low mile FJR) So with that statement in the OP he is the second owner. Most likely why he does not have a warranty.

Dave

Following this, too . . . since it seems to address the concern that still has me uneasy with electronically adjustable suspension on a ST motorcycle. A couple preliminary questions:
1. Are there aftermarket shocks and fork internals for these ES beasts yet and what's the ransom?

2. Can the OEM shock be rebuilt, resprung, or tweaked by suspension pros like GP and Traxxion?
Cal24Master made the following comment on STN.com shortly after buying his ES:

"My big question was what to do when the shock wears out at typically 20,000 to 25,000 miles. I took it to Catalyst Reaction in Redwood City CA. He looked at it and said it was no big deal to rebuild it. I will probably find out this fall how that goes."

I have been waiting for his feedback on the rebuild but wasn't aware of his health issues.

Cal24Master made the following comment on STN.com shortly after buying his ES:

"My big question was what to do when the shock wears out at typically 20,000 to 25,000 miles. I took it to Catalyst Reaction in Redwood City CA. He looked at it and said it was no big deal to rebuild it. I will probably find out this fall how that goes."
Maybe contacting Catalyst Reaction would shed some light on a ES shock rebuild?

(I just shot them a message to see.)

Warranty should transfer with the bike if sold while in the warranty period.

As Big Sky mentions, I would definitely contact Yamaha to see if they would offer any assistance if it actually is out of the warranty period

I am currious to know how much it would cost to change a blown shock on a BMW or Ducatti. Might be about the same would be my guess. So if I bought a low mile K1600 and blew the shock out my guess is I would be out the same amount of change maybe more.

So what's the issue here, just get it fixed and keep riding.

Dave

Where did you go Jerry?

More info would be helpful....... such as miles, original purchase date, and any communication your friend has had directly with Yamaha and NOT the dealer.

YES warranty is transferable. One would have to assume the initial 12 month warranty would be too.

Which reminds me... I need to call D&H and get my YES coverage.