Oil Filter Purolator 14612

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flars

Reaction score
Here's an interesting discovery/problem. I have used Purolator 14612 filters on my 2008 for the last 50,000 miles (and my other bikes for circa 200,000 miles or more). Ten days ago, I changed the oil prior to riding in the Mason Dixon 20/20 rally. When I got back, I found I had an 'oil leak', which I traced to the damn oil filter. When I had changed it the other day, it didn't seem quite right - you know, you feel the gasket make contact, then give it a little additional part turn. I didn't get that feel at that time. Anyway, I changed the filter again, thinking I had over tightened it and distorted it the last time or something. Nope - same problem with the new filter.

It appears Purolator has either changed the depth of the filter (outside of gasket to the metal part of the filter body), or I got two bad ones (one 'regular service' filter and one 'extra special, cost three bucks more' filter). When I spin the filter on, I get no 'gasket contact' feel, so there is no 'just a little more' turn.

I just went and bought a Wix filter from O'Reilly auto, and measured the depth - the Wix has about 3-4 mm more room before the filter would bottom out on the nut on the 'oil filter cartridge bolt' that the filter screws onto. New filter goes on as it should.

Weird.

And no, the cartridge bolt hasn't backed out of the crankcase (it's on with lotsa torque from the factory) over the last 108,000 miles, so it has to be the filters..

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been some problems with some of the Bosch filters lately. In that case, the bottom plate on the filter was convex rather than concave. Is this concave, but just not as deep?

I think I'd just go blow up the auto parts store... The sons of bitches are probably buying Chinese knock offs and selling 'em as the real McCoy..

You seen what happened to that dumb fuk Carver and his import radiator?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom plate looks slightly convex, which, if it is supposed to be concave, would explain the bad fit. I never really looked at the bottom of one that closely before.

I just put a Purolator Pure One 14610 on mine and it seemed the same as in the past. Wonder if they changed just particular ones to fit more cars?/?

I too have been running the Purolator 14612 Pure One filters on my FJR for the past 200k miles, never had so much as a mist of oil from the filter. On the last oil change I used on of the recently purchased Pure One filters and the POS was leaking every time I stopped. Funny enough it would only start leaking after the engine cooled down a bit, and not before that.

I noticed that the gasket on the defective filter was not the usual bright red color but noticeably darker red, almost brown color.

Flars, did you happen to notice the color of the gasket/seal on your defective filter? I'll be using the color difference to separate/sort my Purolator stocks as I still have some of the older type which worked perfectly.

Exactly the same problem for me. The Purolator just didn't feel exactly right on installation. The gasket touched and I wasn't able to turn

it the 1/2 to 3/4 extra. I chalked it up to me not paying attention as I screwed it on and figured I'd just missed sensing when it first came

in contact.. About 600 miles later I saw a puddle when I used the side stand. Hmmmm. Checked the filter and it was tight.

Pulled the filter off and installed a new one, that I'd bought with the first one. I paid attention the second time and it felt "better" but not

like the gasket was compressing as much as I was used to. We'll see what happens.

@flars - Was this the Purolator L14612 (standard, white painted) or the PL14612 Pure One, (wrinkle finish, puke yellow)?

This fitment problem may affect one and not the other.

As a data point, mine was the Yellow wrinkle finish version (PL14612 Pure One), which is the same type I've run for years, and never had a leak until this last batch with the dark colored (brownish) rubber seal.

Why are you using the 14612 instead of the 14610?

Should be identical except that the 14610 is 1/2" longer/taller.

I've always used the 14610 on my '04 FJR.

I haven't noticed any additional wind drag from the longer filter however the extra length may be reducing my max lean angle.

Due to the added weight distribution of the longer filters you tires will now wear slightly more on the left side. Please take notice if using longer filters.

Good Day,
uhoh.gif

Dave

Due to the added weight distribution of the longer filters you tires will now wear slightly more on the left side. Please take notice if using longer filters.
Good Day,
uhoh.gif

Dave
I'm not buyin' it...... anything that throws you off balance just causes you to lean slightly in the opposite direction. The additional wear will be on the right side....... çept in the twisty bits.

The first one to leak was the standard (white, with black gasket) filter. The second was yeller (with red gasket).

I have always used the 14612.

Exactly the same problem for me. The Purolator just didn't feel exactly right on installation. The gasket touched and I wasn't able to turnit the 1/2 to 3/4 extra. I chalked it up to me not paying attention as I screwed it on and figured I'd just missed sensing when it first came

in contact.. About 600 miles later I saw a puddle when I used the side stand.
My experience as well. Been using this type of Purolator for 90,000 miles. Back to using the Yamaha filters.