OK Hoosier's - Cloverdale to Haubstadt tomorrow morning!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I'm sure that some of you Hoosiers are up for showing this Darksider from the West some of the great but unknown roads in Southern Central and South Western IN.

I'm hoping to see at least one or two of yah!

I don't need to be in Haubstadt until 1800. Want to go by my motel in Evansville on the way so I can find it in the dark.

What say you Hoosiers? Anyone up for a little ride?

My cell is six oh five six for five six two six ate.

Thanks in advance.

If you can't come post me a scenic route!

I am sure the ones wheatie posted are good. The Lower Terra Haute road is a good one, but depending on how you go, you may have to ride a long way to get to it.

CLoverdale is closer than I thought. I may have to join in on this. I just do not know many of the roads over there.....

Allen C has arranged a meet up at 1000. Looking forward to it. Hope to get down along the river and go through Troy, my mother's birthplace.

Allen C has arranged a meet up at 1000. Looking forward to it. Hope to get down along the river and go through Troy, my mother's birthplace.
Our route will end in Troy so you can spend time roaming around the small town at your leisure!

Our route will end in Troy so you can spend time roaming around the small town at your leisure!
That will take all of about three minutes unless it has changed a whole lot since I was last there in 2000.

Too bad I had to work today or I would have been in. And other than the heat, today was a nice day, no rain at least.

Mike

If your travels bring you anywhere near North West Indiana or northeast Illinois, let me know. I'll buy you a cold one and burn a few miles as well.

Alan-C and Cav47 met me at 1000. We did a couple hundred miles together before Alan broke for home just North of Tell City. Josh and I continued to Troy then on to Evansville where I checked in and he bolted for home still some 200 mikes away. Thanks to you both, I saw places I would never have found on my own, also gained a new perspective on a "French Lick"

I'm heading for Sun Prairie WI early tomorrow morning. Slab city, another race to attend if it doesn't rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad I had to work today or I would have been in. And other than the heat, today was a nice day, no rain at least.
Mike
It was hot in south central IN - good thing for air conditioned convenience stores! And it did rain on is a bit in southern IN, which actually felt great and dropped the temps 20f!
Did you say hi to Larry Bird?
Larry lives in Indy now, so no! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel like a break halfway, consider brickstone brewery in Kankakee IL. Great food and quick access to the only curvy road in the area (Along the kankakee river) ... I would meet for lunch or whatever and shoot down the river road ... Than deposit you on I80 west to continue to 39 north to your destination ...

Ill be in the area burning gas ...

Allen was PERFECT in 3 of 4 aspects of a great ride. The roads were curvy and mostly shaded, the food place he picked was awesome, and he rode A challenging but comfortable pace. The one aspect that he forgot was to tell the Devil to turn off the HEAT!! Not sure I have ever ridden in this kind of heat for 14 hours in the Midwest. That heat today was Nevada-like.

Thanks to Allen for putting it together. Also thank you to John for coming this way and inviting us along. Just got home after 514 miles. Good long day.

If you feel like a break halfway, consider brickstone brewery in Kankakee IL. Great food and quick access to the only curvy road in the area (Along the kankakee river) ... I would meet for lunch or whatever and shoot down the river road ... Than deposit you on I80 west to continue to 39 north to your destination ...
Ill be in the area burning gas ...
Thanks for the offer, but, I'm hoping to be well past the hustle and bustle of Metro Chicago etc long before noon. I'm going up 39 through Rockford and do not intend to set a wheel on I-80.

Next time!

John

Some quick pics from the trip.

Had a few places like this
1023CEC6-7EC2-47B4-A6C5-AB9C618B0CC2_zpsporc1nuz.jpg

Not willing to pull a Panama Canal Cross on this one. We did have a few that were less than 6 inches deep that we headed through.

John's Dark side tire throws up a lot of water while fording small washes. No picture, but believe me, I was behind him and you can't slow way down to get away from the spray once you are in the water.

018753E3-EEAF-4594-8D78-B43E1507DB85_zpsehdmqbpi.jpg

Notice the debris from the high water mark. Some places had full size trees that were placed on the roadside from the amount of water pushing them. Had we been a day earlier, many of the places we went would have been impassable even by TopSpeed.

Planning a new way around the closure.
E5998061-8379-44C0-80C2-7D3B4ADB03F6_zpsftxgtaqf.jpg

Notice we are parked in the shade.

John is saying "People that live here must like being flame roasted" Allen is saying "I wonder how much ice I could pack in here to keep me cool?"

B4837142-8204-4AF4-99B7-B9BD3CC6F523_zpsmcrxlc6x.jpg

All I know is it was 95+ for much of the afternoon.

You guys weren't in Bloomington Indiana yesterday morning were you? I passed three FJR's lead by a red '14 waiting to turn right onto Hwy 46.

I was on a Grey '!3, yelllow helmet. Gave a thumbs up and a wave when i passed.

You guys weren't in Bloomington Indiana yesterday morning were you? I passed three FJR's lead by a red '14 waiting to turn right onto Hwy 46.
I was on a Grey '!3, yelllow helmet. Gave a thumbs up and a wave when i passed.
Yes, that was us! I was the red bike, John's is same as yours, and Cav was on his light blue. You should have stopped and joined us!

Latest posts