OHV Rider Missing in Georgetown

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
In case anyone is out riding in the area this weekend... hope it's a good outcome.

https://ama-d36.org/ohv-rider-missing-in-georgetown/

OHV Rider Missing In Georgetown
By Bill McGibbon | July 24, 2015

We have just received a report of a OHV Rider missing on the Georgetown Divide. Ed Cavanaugh, who has a cabin on Darling ridge went up there last Thursday or Friday to do some riding over the weekend. Friends couldn’t reach him this week and a check of his cabin by the Sheriffs’ office revealed that his truck was there, the cabin locked and the lights on but his 2006 Yamaha YZ250 was not there.

It’s not typical of Mr. Cavanaugh to take off for a period of time without letting someone know and all his camping gear is still at his cabin.

A helicopter search and ground search has been started by the Sheriffs office today and they are asking anyone that may be going riding up there today or this weekend to be on the look out, both on the trails and the surrounding areas for anything unusual. The search has started in the Trail 7 area but it’s possible he could be anywhere in the trail system.

Ed Cavanaugh is approximate 45 years old, 5′ 11″ tall, 160 lbs., bald head with a moustache. Although reported to be in good health, Ed is a diabetic.

If you have any information that may help please contact the Georgetown Ranger Station at 530 333-4312

Off Highway Vehicle.. JB. DirtBike. Trails. Woods. Not I-5..
Ofcourse some parts of I-5 are rougher than dirt roads....

I hope he is found safe and sound. But these things usually do not end that way. I carry a DeLorme InReach with me, at least then my family will know where I am, even if I don't.

11 days now and no sign of him. What's really sad is he teaches back country survival to city kids. Going alone in the high country breaks the common sense rule of never travel alone in the forest without a gps tracker-even then in the heavy tree canopy that can be iffy.

Hope his skills help him but they also said on the news he is diabetic, doubt he has enough meds for this long away from his cabin..

Last edited by a moderator:
But no sign of his bike means .... something pretty bad, like riding off a cliff.

One can disappear just riding off the road in dense brush or trees. We have had cars go off mountain roads and unless they brake first and leave scratch marks you can't distinguish where they left the road as the brush just swallows up whatever goes between the stems and over the edge.

11 days now and no sign of him. What's really sad is he teaches back country survival to city kids. Going alone in the high country breaks the common sense rule of never travel alone in the forest without a gps tracker-even then in the heavy tree canopy that can be iffy.

Hope his skills help him but they also said on the news he is diabetic, doubt he has enough meds for this long away from his cabin..
Dougie Bear, I was so damn lucky and fortunate that my Buddies RussL (left) and DarrellW (right) were with me on the day of my catastrophic crash.

I had ridden that route so many damn times alone without a Spot or a GPS-tracker, I thank God my Pals quickly found me! I'd have been so Dead!

P1010045.jpg

11 days now and no sign of him. What's really sad is he teaches back country survival to city kids. Going alone in the high country breaks the common sense rule of never travel alone in the forest without a gps tracker-even then in the heavy tree canopy that can be iffy.Hope his skills help him but they also said on the news he is diabetic, doubt he has enough meds for this long away from his cabin..
He is also a diabetic which could explain another mode of going missing without a distress call. Missing since July 17, this is not looking good at all.

https://abc7news.com/news/search-intensifies-for-missing-san-francisco-teacher/883173/

072615-kgo-ed-cavanaugh-motorcycle-img.jpg

Bugnatr posted: One can disappear just riding off the road in dense brush or trees. We have had cars go off mountain roads and unless they brake first and leave scratch marks you can't distinguish where they left the road as the brush just swallows up whatever goes between the stems and over the edge.
With all due respect, I thought California forests were like Rocky Mountain forests: well-spaced trees, boulders, little to no grass or underbrush, etc.

Instead, sounds like you have woods like ours. Beginning in May, you can't see 15 feet through the tangle of leaves, vines, brambles, and tall grasses.

Bugnatr posted: One can disappear just riding off the road in dense brush or trees. We have had cars go off mountain roads and unless they brake first and leave scratch marks you can't distinguish where they left the road as the brush just swallows up whatever goes between the stems and over the edge.
With all due respect, I thought California forests were like Rocky Mountain forests: well-spaced trees, boulders, little to no grass or underbrush, etc.

Instead, sounds like you have woods like ours. Beginning in May, you can't see 15 feet through the tangle of leaves, vines, brambles, and tall grasses.
It's not as lush, and it burns pretty good. At elevations from 2000 to 6000 feet where he is lost, it is really thick.

I hadn't heard anything in the last few days and this is a sad outcome. Prayers for the family and friends, from all the news reports he was a very well liked man.

Latest posts