Gen III OEM Comfort seat - Canada/France version

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffon

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I’m looking for another seat for my 2015. I have read a few posts about the OEM Comfort seat, in general people seem to like it better than the stock seat, so I may give it a try. Here in Canada the seats that are listed for the Gen III are part numbers 1MC-F47C0-80-00 (fwd section) and 1MC-F47E0-80-00 (aft section). We can also get the same ABA-2D221-10-00 seat than you guys have in the USA but it’s only listed for earlier years here (2012 and before). And the Yamaha rep told me that he cannot guarantee that the ABA seat will fit on my 2015 (I'm sure it will but anyway...).

I know the ABA seat has some gel inside. I have asked Yamaha Canada twice about the construction of the 1MC seats and I didn't get an answer. No mention of any gel in these seats on the Canadian website.

Is there any Canadian rider here (or from France 'cause they have the same) having these 1MC seats (fwd and aft) on their Gen III? I would like to know how they are compared to the stock seat. Are they firmer and flatter? Any idea about the materials used? Do you like it?

Thanks!

Richard

I have a UK Comfort seat. Part number is 1MC-F47C0-80-00, so the same as yours. To be honest, I don't find it any more comfortable than the standard seat, but it looks a bit smarter! If you want, I'll take a couple of pics to compare them visually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Yamaha comfort gel seat for my Gen2. I use it on a daily basis for local riding. Now what I can tell you is it is wider than stock. It is harder than stock. It does get very hot when left in the sun and stays hot for a while. At best I can log another 100 miles versus using the stock seat. IMO it is not worth the extra money if paying full price. I picked mine up used with very little use. It did bother my hips at first but my body has now comformed to it. On long trips I use the RDL and its worth every penny extra.

Save you pennies for an RDL

Dave

I have a UK Comfort seat. Part number is 1MC-F47C0-80-00, so the same as yours. To be honest, I don't find it any more comfortable than the standard seat, but it looks a bit smarter! If you want, I'll take a couple of pics to compare them visually.
Mcatrophy: Thanks for the info. Yes, I would really appreciate if you could take a few pictures. When you say not any more comfortable, was it harder? I'm not a very big guy (153 lbs all wet) and I'm not sinking a lot into the stock seat, but on long runs it creates some discomfort. Looking for something just a little stiffer than stock and I think I'll be happy. I had a Corbin on my FJ1200 which was hard like a plywood sheet, and I loved it. I did 1450 kms in one shot coming back from the Dragon a few years ago and had no pain at all. Thanks!

08FJR4ME: Thanks for your comments. I know I can also get the same seat as you (even if Yamaha Canada says it doesn't fit... yeah, yeah) so it's another option. Heat may not be a big issue here, it doesn't get over 30C very often, maybe a few days here and there. I'll see.

Thanks guys!

I have one of the comfort seats also and I don't find it any more comfortable than the oem one I traded for it. In fact I'm about to make an appointment with a local seat builder to give it a complete makeover. If someone locally wanted to try it out I would be glad to trade straight up then have theirs rebuilt. It being a little wider than the original one probably would give a little shorter guy some food for thought before he got one. I don't know how much in height it adds but you do notice some difference. Of course IMHO!

Mcatrophy: Thanks for the info. Yes, I would really appreciate if you could take a few pictures. When you say not any more comfortable, was it harder? I'm not a very big guy (153 lbs all wet) and I'm not sinking a lot into the stock seat, but on long runs it creates some discomfort. Looking for something just a little stiffer than stock and I think I'll be happy. I had a Corbin on my FJ1200 which was hard like a plywood sheet, and I loved it. I did 1450 kms in one shot coming back from the Dragon a few years ago and had no pain at all. Thanks!
08FJR4ME: Thanks for your comments. I know I can also get the same seat as you (even if Yamaha Canada says it doesn't fit... yeah, yeah) so it's another option. Heat may not be a big issue here, it doesn't get over 30C very often, maybe a few days here and there. I'll see.

Thanks guys!

Ok, comments first. I don't find much difference when sitting on either seat. The Comfort seat is actually a little lower, but cut a little wider, feels slightly higher, but the difference is negligible. With my 5ft 8.5in height, 21 inch inseam, I can just flat-foot if I slide as far forward as I can, normally the balls of both feet securely on the ground - I weigh about 150 - 160 lbs, my Gen 3 fancy suspension set to rider only, but no difference than I can remember from my Gen 2.

I have no problem with either seat after 6 hours or so in the saddle, but I've rarely ridden for more than 8 hours. Both seats get a little uncomfortable for me at that, but certainly not intolerable, simple moving myself around or standing on the pegs eases any discomfort sufficiently to keep going.

The surfaces are different, the standard has quite pronounced bobbles, the Comfort is smoother, but the surface is rough enough to prevent any sliding around. If anything, the Comfort grips your seat a little better (at least with my textile suit).

Pictures: I've paired each of these with the camera on a tripod, so differences in position is negligible. Standard seat on the left, Comfort on the right.

It's worth clicking on the left image of a pair which will open a new window with a larger image, then clicking on the "next" link on that page (below and to the right of the picture), which will bring up a larger view of the right-hand image. Now use your browser's previous and next view buttons to rapidly swap between the two images.

(Click on image for larger view)

Overview

Side view - note tape measure hung behind ...

... blow-up of centre of above pictures to show difference in uncompressed height (arbitrary datum, not actual height from ground)

Views to try to show the cuts

And showing the surface and the nice logo on the passenger Comfort seat

Hope that gives some help. Ask if you want any further clarification.

You can see all the images on my web site here.

I have circled the Yamaha Comfort Seat several times, and never pulled the trigger. I don't like the tacky (texture) covering on the stock seat. It's the first motorcycle seat I've ever had that didn't have pleather or other vinyl that you could slide around on when you wanted to.

Mcatrophy, great job with the pictures, thank you very, very much! That comparison helps a lot!

Yep, I can see that they're about the same size, with maybe the front seat just a little bit larger going towards the rear. And I agree with you, they look good with that nice logo! It adds an extra touch of class to the bike.

More food for thought!

Thanks!

Bill, FYI the seats we have north of the border are the same as Mcatrophy. Just in case you decide to go for a set...

Richard

The commie version sure looks better. But at around $100 less and $95 less shipping than the prettier one from France, (that's $195 cheaper for those following along at home), I caved and ordered the US OEM comfort seat. I think it'll be better. But we know the natural progression here. It may give way to a Laam or something similar in a year or two.

Bought one too (the non-US version). Got a 25% discount coupon from my dealer to spend on accessories, so I grabbed the seat and a tank bag. Can't wait to give it a try, if the &/!$/& snow can go away...

Got mine. Notably lower, notably more saddle shaped, notably harder, more neutral in that it does not force me toward the tank. While the seat is lower, it is wider, so there's no net improvement if you're short and looking for help flat-footing the bike. But riding characteristics weren't necessarily the most notable thing about it. The upholstery did not look like the stock pictures (nor did it look like Mac's Fronch seat). It's much nicer in appearance than I expected. My wife didn't know there was a different seat on the bike, and her butt informed her forthwith, through negative feedback. I'm going to put a few thousand miles on it and see if or how it breaks in.

Latest posts