170 amp draw starter motor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...bigger battery will phix that dc! (You can thank me later)

Hope putting humpty back together goes as well as takin apart. ;-)

--G

And that was on the bench!! Any pics of the autopsy?
I don't know if Don took pictures after I took it apart. The oil seal had failed and coated the armature with carbon dust and oil. It smelled real bad and some of the smoke came out. I'll order some replacement smoke and seals. It will live on the shelf waiting for it's next home.

Last edited by a moderator:
...The oil seal had failed and coated the armature with carbon dust and oil...
Representative pictures to illustrate what Ray is talking about when the oil seal leaks:

StarterReplacement30.jpg

StarterReplacement32.jpg

These pix are from the starter motor that came out of KrZy8. Recall this is engine #2, approx 80 to 90k on it now.

The gunk. The oil seal had leaked, and the commutator had bridged segments.

Commutator.

The leaked oil just served a compound to bridge spent carbon from the brushes. Each of the grooves on the copper part to the right of the splined shaft should be clear.. not bridged with conductive gunk.

The brush cap.. and signs of oil intrusion.

Ray has an exchange program, 80 bucks plus core. The 'new' e.g. rebuilt starter draws 20 amps on the bench, unloaded. My old one, on the bench, drew a whopping 170 amps! Crap, you can weld with that!

AND !!!! I just found out Mama Yama doesn't sell the seal. I'll look for it later cause it's time to start herding cats at the RR.

Woah, those are some ugly photos! All that mess for a $5 oil seal. (It's good to see that the windings are epoxied though, I've had some failure issues on motors without that protection in place)

Woah, those are some ugly photos! All that mess for a $5 oil seal. (It's good to see that the windings are epoxied though, I've had some failure issues on motors without that protection in place)

I hope the seals are cheap. Going to the bearing house in the morning. If I find a source I'll stock up. Still don't understand why Yamaha doesn't sell the part.

Latest posts