Newbie - ABS Saved My Ass Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SProkai

Reaction score
This is a bit long winded, but I felt complelled to share this with y'all

I have been lurking here for a few months researching the FJR. I learned so much from so many members here. Thank you all.

First, some background.

I used to ride dirt bikes as a kid and after decades of not riding, started riding again this year. Back in early March I bought a 1998 Kawasaki Vulcan cruiser to get my riding chops back up to speed and I took the MFS Beginning Rider Safety Course. That class was absolutely amazing. I quickly became obsessed with riding and was putting hundreds of miles (and sometimes a thousand plus miles) on the bike every week. It didn't take me long to start wanting to over-ride the Vulcan's capabilities. I live in Westchester county New York where there are a lot of twisty roads, so I was occasionally scraping the pegs and worse, when you lean too far right on that bike you scrape one of the bolts on the frame and not the foot peg. It is a fine motorcycle, but I started looking for an upgrade at the end of April. Since I know a few sport touring riders and had been on a few outings with them (bringing up the rear) I naturally started looking at the FJR.

When I first saw the FJR it was "love at first sight." After tons of reading and research I was convinced that not only was it stunning to look at, but it was the best s/t bike out there. I started the hunt. I really wanted one with ABS since one key reason for upgrading from the Vulcan was safety.

Holding out for an '06 with ABS was wholly justified this afternoon when at a busy intersection on an arterial 4 lane road in Danbury CT a "left turner" decided to pull right out into my lane. I was doing about 40 in the 45 mph zone, and there was a car in front of me that peeled off into the left turn only lane. When he went left the oncoming "left turner" started into my lane. I was extremely lucky that they saw me and jammed on their brakes, but I squeezed the front brakes and kicked in the ABS and was able to successfully swerve right to avoid hitting them. I guess I missed the car by about one or two feet.

I am totally convinced that had I been on the Vulcan I would have locked the front wheel and either dumped the bike and or hit the car. No way would that bike have been able to do what I needed it to do to avoid the accident. That was my first real close call on a bike and I am so so so glad it was on an FJR with ABS.

One thing that still amazes me about the experience is that my reaction to the situation was totally automatic. I did not have to think about progressively "squeezing" the front brake to execute the quick stop procedure or the proper swerve technique at all. For that I thank the MFS course and my regular practicing of those techniques in a local parking lot. In fact what I remember thinking when I was performing those maneuvers was "holy shit, this is it. I am going to get taken out by a "left turner!"

Cheers and thanks again to all of the excellent posters on this forum (and other forums). It was in part due to your posts that lead me to go for the ABS model.

SProkai,

first, and foremost, good that it ended well for you! Those are the type of frights that no motorcyclist needs, and the aware ones dread.

I'd like to better understand though, if you have the time, were you braking at the same time as you were swerving? my understanding is that is a no no even if you have abs? That's because when you swerve, you're on the sides of the tires, and traction is limitied. If you swerve dramatically, all of your traction capability can be used up, and there's none left for braking (abs or not).

Did you brake hard (engaging the abs as you say), then release the brakes and then swerve?

again, good yer ok and survived that!

regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you can brake and swerve (turn) at the same time. You do it each time you come into a curve fast and you need to scrub off some speed. Racers do it all the time. You wouldn't want to hit the back brake hard and turn at the same time, but you should depend on your front brake, not your back to slow you down.

Glad you got to try out your ABS with no bad results. I have ABS but have never had to use it on the street. Glad you missed the cage. It sounds like you would not have been able to stop in time if you couldn't swerve around him. Good maneuver. It does make you realize how quick your open road can be closed. Let us know if this does or does not change your ridning habits.

I'd like to better understand though, if you have the time, were you braking at the same time as you were swerving? my understanding is that is a no no even if you have abs? That's because when you swerve, you're on the sides of the tires, and traction is limitied. If you swerve dramatically, all of your traction capability can be used up, and there's none left for braking (abs or not).
Did you brake hard (engaging the abs as you say), then release the brakes and then swerve?
Thanks. I did not swerve while under hard braking. I did my quick stop procedure then let off the brakes to swerve. This was not a part of the techniques taught in the MFS course, but one that I have practiced a bunch of times. It just seemed a natural, useful maneuver to know how to do, so I incorporated it into my practice routine.

I have the benefit of having a huge, newly repaved parking lot in my town with no concrete dividers and no light posts (for a kart racing track that's being built ;-) ). I go there two or three times a week to practice the stuff I learned in the MFS class like figure 8s, quick stops, swerving, weaving, quick stops in a turn etc. 10 or 15 minutes each time.

I should have remembered the "cover your front brake through interesections" tip from David Hough's Street Strategies. I could have hit the brake's that half second earlier and I may not have had to brake so hard as to engage the ABS.

Cheers

Congrats on the new bike and your avoidance of a collision. I live in Putnam County by the Danbury border and ride through it all the time. Where exactly did this occur? Maybe we can do a ride sometime, let me know. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Chris

Glad you got to try out your ABS with no bad results. I have ABS but have never had to use it on the street. Glad you missed the cage. It sounds like you would not have been able to stop in time if you couldn't swerve around him. Good maneuver. It does make you realize how quick your open road can be closed. Let us know if this does or does not change your ridning habits.
I think I will certainly be a little more wary of the infamous "left turner." A Signal Dynamics headlight modulator is sitting on the desk right next me and wish I had installed it yesterday. I think they might have seen me coming with dual, obnoxious, strobing high beams. ;-)

Congrats on the new bike and your avoidance of a collision. I live in Putnam County by the Danbury border and ride through it all the time. Where exactly did this occur? Maybe we can do a ride sometime, let me know. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Chris
Hi Chris,

I had just picked up the bike after having an oil change a thorough once over by the service folks at Danbury Power Sports. I took a left out of their parking lot and was heading towards the I-84 Exit 4 onramp. It was right at the McDonald's traffic light; right here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=....00721&z=17

I would love to do a ride sometime. I often do the Bear Mountain/Seven Lakes Drive ride. Always a ton of fun and not too far. Maybe in the morning on Sunday the 28th?

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Steve:

I am from Danbury CT. I think I saw you at Danbury Power Sports today. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was on the Red 07 FJR and I had my bright yellow jacket on. :rolleyes:

I also think we spoke at Danbury Power Sports just before I bought my FJR. :)

Its really cool that you used your MSF techniques you learned to keep you out of trouble today. :clapping: You had someone looking out for you. :angel:

I have taken three riding courses this year and have one more to go in August up at the New Hampshire Raceway. :yahoo:

We should try to get a local FJR group ride going this summer. :)

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
A Signal Dynamics headlight modulator is sitting on the desk right next me and wish I had installed it yesterday.
I dunno.... I'm afraid of those headlight modulator things 'cuz the International Signal for "Go Ahead" is flicking High-Low-High. Like with truckers: flashing the lights means "Go ahead and change lanes" or "Go ahead and turn".

I'm afraid someone will be sitting there not paying attention until they see my headlights flashing and then think: "Oh, OK, go ahead and turn".

I wouldn't have one. I think it is dangerous.

I don't want to spook anyone into doing something stupid.

Welcome aboard you are in for a treat whether it be on the FJR or the board be it good or bad....

Thanks or testing out those ABS brakes to show that they do work as designed and applied as ment to be. Just squeeze the handle..

:) weekend rider :)

Hey Steve:
I am from Danbury CT. I think I saw you at Danbury Power Sports today.

<snip>

We should try to get a local FJR group ride going this summer. :)

Mike
Haha! Yeah I noticed as you were pulling out.

A local FJR ride sounds fun. So far there's three of us (with Chris from Putnam) :) Time will be tight though because I am supposed to be transferred to Toronto at the end of August. I'm just waiting for the work permit to go through. Looking forward to a whole new location to explore.

Cheers

Glad you got through that. I recommend getting & reading David Houghs Proficient Motorcycling. Use his some 50 years of riding to access risk. If Steve Parks puts on a 'Total Control' class in your area, I am sure you would enjoy taking it. TJ

A Signal Dynamics headlight modulator is sitting on the desk right next me and wish I had installed it yesterday.
I dunno.... I'm afraid of those headlight modulator things 'cuz the International Signal for "Go Ahead" is flicking High-Low-High. Like with truckers: flashing the lights means "Go ahead and change lanes" or "Go ahead and turn".

I'm afraid someone will be sitting there not paying attention until they see my headlights flashing and then think: "Oh, OK, go ahead and turn".

I wouldn't have one. I think it is dangerous.

I don't want to spook anyone into doing something stupid.

While you're correct about the Hi on off... it's not High low high.... it's high off high, at least on all the US interstates I've ridden/driven in.

I have the headlight modulators on my bike... the only real difference is that some cagers see those flashing headlights coming up on the left side and pull over.

No problem with the truckers... I can still flash my high beans for them to pull in front of me....

Cagers dont' recgonize much of anything. <G>

Mary

Hi Steve, I too had a near miss the second day I rode my FJR. Almost the same way too, riding along minding my own business running about 35 in a 40. I came around a slight bend in the road and noticed a truck coming toward me and in his lane, when I got to within 10' of this guy he decided to turn left in front of me. Immediately I got hard on the brakes and thought to myself there isn't any room to maneuver. At the last second he stopped leaving me enough room between his front bumper and a fence at the roadside, that's where I went. I swear there's paint on that fence somewhere!

I purchased the FJR specifically because both models had the anti-loc brakes, I ended up getting the AE Model. After some thinking it dawned on me had it not been for a few factors that day I would have ended up in the Hospital or Morgue. It wasn't just one of these things that saved me, it was all of these things. I was going slower than the speed limit, the guy saw me and stopped at the last second, I had previous riding time, I had recently taken a riding class, and I had anti-loc brakes.

About 1 month after my deal another rider didn't have the same luck. He was riding on a country road as I was, the guard rail was on both sides of the road, so for him there was no place to run. This rider was going the speed limit (40), as he approached a turn toward his right; a car coming the other way at a high rate of speed lost control and hit the guardrail on his side of the road. The motorcycle rider saw this happening and immediately hit his brakes, by this time the car bounced from the right side to the left side hitting the guardrail on the riders side of the road. Still going at a high rate of speed the car bounced off the left side guardrail and started going back across the road where he should have been in the first place. As the car got to the middle of the road and sliding to the right he hit the motorcycle head-on. The rider was thrown 35' from where his motorcycle was impacted by the car, the motorcycle now stuck in the grill of the car got crushed into the right hand guardrail pinning it between the car and guardrail. The rider died on the scene, the driver of the car was found to be on drugs.

I know this is what happened, the driver of a County School Bus who was behind the rider saw this happen and held the rider until he died. The bus driver works for a friend of mine, and it was my friend who had to call the Medics and Police.

Is this relevent? Yes! The next day after this accident I saw the skid mark left by the motorcycle rider. It, I say it, because there was only one, and it was over 30' long. This tells me the rider in a panic only hit the rear brake when he saw this car, this wrong braking action caused the bike to slide and not stop. These skid marks continued until he was hit. From what I saw if he had grabbed the front brake as well, the car wouldn't have hit him head-on. I looked at the paint marks on the road left by the State Police when they did their investigation the day of the accident. These marks show if the bike stopped 5' shorter this would have been the difference between getting hit and not getting hit. By any means correct braking action would have given him at least a chance. Would this have been any different if he had linked anti-loc brakes? I doubt it, but we'll never know? Brakes used correctly can and do save lives, I'm with you though, I wanted the anti-loc brakes.

Ride Safe, C1

I'm afraid someone will be sitting there not paying attention until they see my headlights flashing and then think: "Oh, OK, go ahead and turn".I wouldn't have one. I think it is dangerous.
While you're correct about the Hi on off... it's not High low high.... it's high off high, at least on all the US interstates I've ridden/driven in.I have the headlight modulators on my bike... the only real difference is that some cagers see those flashing headlights coming up on the left side and pull over.No problem with the truckers... I can still flash my high beans for them to pull in front of me....Cagers dont' recgonize much of anything. <G>Mary
Before I even knew what the headlight modulator was I had seen it a few times and it really caught my attention. I did not mistake it as an "OK, Go ahead" signal from the rider. It's too fast and to consistant. I ride with a guy who has one and people notice and stay clear. I am going to put it on.
Glad you got through that. I recommend getting & reading David Houghs Proficient Motorcycling. Use his some 50 years of riding to access risk. If Steve Parks puts on a 'Total Control' class in your area, I am sure you would enjoy taking it. TJ
Got it. Read it. Reading it some more. ;-) I agree it is an excellent book. Cheers.

I purchased the FJR specifically because both models had the anti-loc brakes, I ended up getting the AE Model. After some thinking it dawned on me had it not been for a few factors that day I would have ended up in the Hospital or Morgue. It wasn't just one of these things that saved me, it was all of these things. I was going slower than the speed limit, the guy saw me and stopped at the last second, I had previous riding time, I had recently taken a riding class, and I had anti-loc brakes.
Brakes used correctly can and do save lives, I'm with you though, I wanted the anti-loc brakes.
A sad story indeed. But I agree it was a combination of factors that allowed me to escape unscathed. Not the least of which is having a state of the art bike that has impeccable handling and braking qualities. I am so thrilled that the bike performed for me without even the slightest bit of resistance. Full on braking on the FJR is really astounding and it was the ABS that helped me stay up and stable.

clutchless1 - a very sad story indeed, but I think you are jumping through some major hoops with your conclusions. You have no idea how much (if any) front brake that rider used. In a panic situation, it's not at all uncommon to lock the rear wheel, while SIMULTANEOUSLY also using the front brake. It's happened to me several times.