Need a backrest for my wife

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figstr

Reaction score
I'll hopefully pick up my new FJR next weekend and need a backrest for the wife. Who carries them at the best prices. I would like to have it sent directly to my dealer so I don't have to mess with it. I just wanna be able to put the wife on the back and go.

There are a few options. Russel seats make a back rest for their seats. I plan on getting one down the road. Gary a forum member makes a rack for the back with a back rest for a passenger. I have one and it is very nice. I'm sure some others will have some other options to share. Go to forum vender and see what gaurald has to offer. Its nice.

A few backrest options are Corbin, requires a Corbin seat, $$$; Givi, size, color and lighting are options; Yamaha top case, big bux, poor availability, long shipping time and color availability may be bad, call University Motors in Fargo, ND for good pricing; Garauld, from here in the Forum, check Vendors. Russell and Sargent seats also offer backrests. If you search for backrests you should have at least a days worth of good reading.

We offer a standalone backrest just for the 06 and 07 FJR. You can find out more information by viewing our website! Click Here!

BackrestNewsmallpic.jpg

Or use the top case that you're going to get ;)

they work great for Pillions, with the Give you can go with just the case or two different back rest materials.

Or use the top case that you're going to get ;)
they work great for Pillions, with the Give you can go with just the case or two different back rest materials.

After the wife saw the top case she said she didn't want it. My wife is the boss of the back and it's her call on comfort back there. So no top case for now. I'm sure I'll eventually talk her into one. Anyway, I had a brainstorm this morning. I sell the 2 Corbins I have for my Warrior and buy the Corbin seat. I alredy have the backrests, just need the seat...wish I thought of that earlier. Duh :unsure:

I gave my brother my FJR Corbin backrest and it fit the Corbin seat on his ST just fine. I believe Corbin has standardized the size.

Generally speaking, backrests that attach to the back rack, through a variety of means, are more comfortable for the passenger. Those that are an attachment to the rear seat tend to push the passenger too far forward.

The Corbin backrest in my avatar is actually mounted to a bracket that is bolted to the FJR trunk mounting plate. When I replaced the Corbin backrest with a Yamaha trunk my wife didn't want the backrest attached to the trunk because it pushed her too far forward. She said that she was willing to trade the slickness of the trunk lid for the extra room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...my wife was comfortable with the backrest on the Corbin. I'm not sure how much we'll use it anymore as she now has her own bike!

Generally speaking, backrests that attach to the back rack, through a variety of means, are more comfortable for the passenger. Those that are an attachment to the rear seat tend to push the passenger too far forward.
I have a corbin dual tourer that I use on my Warrior when my wife rides with me. I also have both backrests for it and my wife loves the seat. She has a lower back problem that prevents her from riding for any great length of time, but the corbin allows her to ride for hours. She says the corbin backrest is much more comfortable than the stock pillion with the MCE sissybar I got for her. She likes the lower back support alot.

A few backrest options are Corbin, requires a Corbin seat, $$$; Givi, size, color and lighting are options; Yamaha top case, big bux, poor availability, long shipping time and color availability may be bad, call University Motors in Fargo, ND for good pricing; Garauld, from here in the Forum, check Vendors. Russell and Sargent seats also offer backrests. If you search for backrests you should have at least a days worth of good reading.
I hear you about the "days worth of reading" on this subject. A backrest and rack are on my list as well. Garauld looks like he does real nice work but I'm not real crazy about the backrest piece of his set up (for the 06-07 version). What I am really looking for is a fairly low in height backrest and smaller version of his rack (just a little bigger than the tail piece that it mounts to).

As you can guess I'm trying to save the "sporty" look of the bike while adding some security for my wife that makes her feel like she won't fly off the back if I hit the gas a little hard. I don't anticiapte many long distance rides but want her to feel safe. A small rack would be nice to have to strap (small) things to. Aside from when I go on my annual bike trip up north, I don't plan to have the side bags on much...

I thought I saw a pic of an earlier verion of Garauld's rack/backrest that fell in to the smaller/lower style I mentioned but haven't been able to "re-find" it. Anyone know if Garauld put's out a single thread of all his models/styles that he's produced without having to scan thru countless pages with random pics??? Thx :)

I hear you about the "days worth of reading" on this subject. A backrest and rack are on my list as well. Garauld looks like he does real nice work but I'm not real crazy about the backrest piece of his set up (for the 06-07 version). What I am really looking for is a fairly low in height backrest and smaller version of his rack (just a little bigger than the tail piece that it mounts to).

As you can guess I'm trying to save the "sporty" look of the bike while adding some security for my wife that makes her feel like she won't fly off the back if I hit the gas a little hard. I don't anticiapte many long distance rides but want her to feel safe. A small rack would be nice to have to strap (small) things to. Aside from when I go on my annual bike trip up north, I don't plan to have the side bags on much...

I thought I saw a pic of an earlier verion of Garauld's rack/backrest that fell in to the smaller/lower style I mentioned but haven't been able to "re-find" it. Anyone know if Garauld put's out a single thread of all his models/styles that he's produced without having to scan thru countless pages with random pics??? Thx :)

Call or email Gary and explain your want's If you can draw it, HE can build it! just got mine from Gary for my 05. SUPERB Quality, an outstanding person to deal with!

Here's a couple of photos of a mini rack and backrest that I recently made for an '06. Other colors are available.

P4150002.jpg

P4150001.jpg

I can add other options like antenna mounts, LED brakelight bar mounting bracket, or a different plate style to fit your pad. If you need it in a hurry, contact OHFJR, however...

Here's a couple of photos of a mini rack and backrest that I recently made for an '06. Other colors are available.
P4150002.jpg

P4150001.jpg

I can add other options like antenna mounts, LED brakelight bar mounting bracket, or a different plate style to fit your pad. If you need it in a hurry, contact OHFJR, however...
Thanks. I'll PM you with some pics of my old KG rack/backrest setup on my SECA when I take them so you have a better idea of what I'm talking about... I definitely like the smaller size rack but any issues finding good points to bungee things to it? Looks like they could slip around the frame easily as there's not many "lock in" points within the tubing...

Call or email Gary and explain your want's If you can draw it, HE can build it! just got mine from Gary for my 05. SUPERB Quality, an outstanding person to deal with!
+1 Gary will make you pretty much whatever you'd like to have. I sent him some pieces, a detailed letter and below is what he made me. the wife just loves it!

Jim

RackwBackrest5.jpg