Dunlop Roadsmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Dunlop's words, sport-touring riders are "very experienced and skilled" with thousands of miles behind them, and "their knowledge of tire design and capability is significant."
They obviously never met me.

:)

Well, I just picked up a set of Roadsmarts at my local Cycle Gear for a good price ($250). There is a very noticeable stripe on the back tire where the compound changes. I can take some pics and post them if anyone is interested. I'll be putting the new tires on in a couple weeks and begin giving ride reports.

Well, I just picked up a set of Roadsmarts at my local Cycle Gear for a good price ($250). There is a very noticeable stripe on the back tire where the compound changes. I can take some pics and post them if anyone is interested. I'll be putting the new tires on in a couple weeks and begin giving ride reports.
That would be good. We're always interested in tires.

Warchild posted up that he put a set on one of his bikes.... I'm sure he will be along sometime with a pro or con to the tire.

More the opinons are sometimes better.... well in some cases <_<

Look forward to comments form the Roadsmarties.

I liked the old D205's but not the D220's. Hmmm, we'll have to see about these.

Pics of the tires as promised. I've never seen a tire before where the changes in compound is so obvious.

RoadsmartTires.jpg

RoadsmartTires1.jpg

RoadsmartTires6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics of the tires as promised. I've never seen a tire before where the changes in compound is so obvious.
RoadsmartTires.jpg

RoadsmartTires1.jpg

RoadsmartTires6.jpg
You're right, very interesting. The hard compound strip even seems to be off center a bit.

It will be good to hear on how these tires work out.

Looks on center to me...

I can't wait to hear our fellow riders reviews!

Looks on center to me...I can't wait to hear our fellow riders reviews!
Hello there,

I had a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart installed about two weeks ago. The tires really are awesome. The ride home from my installer was on the highway. My FJR rides really smooth now compared to the Bridgestone OEMs. Though I have the firmness setting set to hard, with these tires the feel is softer that the soft setting on the firmness. At the same time the handling is great. The tires really feel like they are glued to the road. You will notice that the tires are more rounded. The response with these tires is very intuitive. You don't have to work the handlebars to get the bike to go where you want. I have to be careful with these tires because my riding speed has increased due to the superb handling. My FJR was awesome before. Now it's even better with these new Dunlop Roadsmart. It will be interesting to see how many miles I get out of them. For now, I will say stop thinking about them and just buy them. You really won't regret it.

Candymon, you running stock suspension or aftermarket on the '03? Settings?

Rider weight, typical loading, two or three bags?

Hello there,

I had a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart installed about two weeks ago. The tires really are awesome. The ride home from my installer was on the highway. My FJR rides really smooth now compared to the Bridgestone OEMs. Though I have the firmness setting set to hard, with these tires the feel is softer that the soft setting on the firmness. At the same time the handling is great. The tires really feel like they are glued to the road. You will notice that the tires are more rounded. The response with these tires is very intuitive. You don't have to work the handlebars to get the bike to go where you want. I have to be careful with these tires because my riding speed has increased due to the superb handling. My FJR was awesome before. Now it's even better with these new Dunlop Roadsmart. It will be interesting to see how many miles I get out of them. For now, I will say stop thinking about them and just buy them. You really won't regret it.
I am curious to hear how people who've tried both PR2 & RoadSmart tire compare them, since everything Candymon likes about the Dunlops is a given for the Michelins.

Hello there,

My experience with tires on the FJR, is the "more rounded" tires are the ones that are harder to steer into curves with a lot of countersteering effort. (Metzler, Michelin PR, Pirelli Strada) The Avon Azaro and Storm front tire is more angular and seem to me to steer easier with a lot less countersteering effort. That is the reason I still like the Avons. Less effort in the curves. I'm sure one of the tire experts on the forum could explain this much better than me.

GP

Posted in another thread about these but figured I'd bump this one also.

I have only put 100 miles on them as of this posting so it isn't much but from just this I think these are well worth looking into.

They don't do anything unexpected and rain groves don't effect them at all. I really like that as I have had other tires that get squirrelly when I have encountered them. About the only thing I can think of that' worth carping about is they seem to be a bit noisy when coming down from speed. That's not an issue for me though.

Bottom line in my opinion if you are thinking about getting a set of these all I can say is do it. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, but, we want to know about tire LIFE...how many miles can you get out of the? The 021's sucked in that department.

Add me to the list of Dunlop Roadsmart tires for my 06 AE. Will mount them just prior to my run to Washington DC 14-25 May and then back for the Word Rally in NV on 29 May. Ride is from Ontario CA to Wash. DC and is done each year. I wanted to do the annual Ride to the Wall(Vietnam Memorial) while I still can do it. I am a retired USAF flyer and flew tankers and have a number of friends that were lost in that war.

Yeah, but, we want to know about tire LIFE...how many miles can you get out of the? The 021's sucked in that department.
Get them and try them yourself then! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Time will tell. Seems to me there are a lot of choices out there and most tires seem to be about in the same price range. Quit your carping my car tires for 1 cost the price of 2 of these so it isn't all that bad.

You want to play you have to pay. :D :D :D

Ordered a set of Dunlops today. I hope they handle as well as the B021's that are on now, but last longer.

Seems to me that the tire manufactures are trying to provide longevity and performace with the dual compounds, but they still haven't quite figured it out.

Unfortunately, we still must choose between milage and performace.

Get them and try them yourself then! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Time will tell. Seems to me there are a lot of choices out there and most tires seem to be about in the same price range. Quit your carping my car tires for 1 cost the price of 2 of these so it isn't all that bad.

You want to play you have to pay. :D :D :D
[SIZE=14pt]DOH!!![/SIZE]

I go through 2 or 3 sets of tires a year, and I'm not an "Iron Butt" rider, so I do understand paying to play.

Years ago I mentally recorded words of wisdom from BikeEffects: "Tires are a wear item. You might as well try them all!"

BUT, since I wore out the Bridgestone 021s in 3500 miles on a little ride through NorCal, Oregon, Idaho & Southern Wyoming to get to Park City, UT for WFO-5, then enjoying the scenery in Northern Utah before coming back through Idaho, Hell's Canyon to Bend Or, and then riding Hwy 3 and 299 in NorCal on the final "leg" home.....being able to have SOME tire left at that mileage is rather important to me. The 021 front was "V" shaped and the rear had a rather prominent flat spot. The front I understood because I was rather enjoying the twisty bits in OR and NorCal. The rear wear pattern I found strange because the radii toward the tread edge had "hooks", so they were working well but I was disappointed and feel that dual-compound tires should not have flattened the center so badly.

Since I can get 7K-8.5K or more from Pilot Roads (First Iteration), Avons, Pirellis, 'Stone 020s, etc., I don't want to find out that PR2s or Dunlop Roadsmarts are only good for 4,000 miles (like the 021s) when I set out for my round trip to Golden, CO for NAFO. :blink:

Is there a part of a basic question about tire life you can't seem to grasp? For some, the contour of the tire isn't as important as the compound it is made from. We can always purchase sport bike tires for daily canyon carving....and a few of us actually have our own tire machines and balancers because of changing tires so often. :eek:

Many of us do more than take day rides or weekend trips and would like to have a tire combination that will actually allow us a complete trip of 5,000-6,000 miles, or more, without replacing tires on the road. Especially when the tires are reported to be specifically designed with two compounds to extend tire life and still maintain excellent cornering traction. :dribble:

Add me to the list of Dunlop Roadsmart tires for my 06 AE. Will mount them just prior to my run to Washington DC 14-25 May and then back for the Word Rally in NV on 29 May. Ride is from Ontario CA to Wash. DC and is done each year.
Uncle Dave is going to mount a set and ride from the L.A. basin to Washington, DC and back. I would hope that you understand a 3500 mile tire wouldn't be particularly good for THAT trip.
So...before you give a short answer that you think is clever, you might consider WHY the question is asked and by whom. :glare:

[SIZE=8pt]Rant over![/SIZE]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled progam.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: