08 FJR clutch revisited

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billfjr

Reaction score
Hi,

I posted a how-to article on Technicial Discussions "08 FJR R&R clutch plates", Feb 8, 09. (https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114431) I was unable to roadtest the bike until now. Before soaking the clutches, the trans clunked into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. When downshifting the clutch would grab and sometimes grind going into gear. My FJR did this from new intermittently and became worse. At 1200 miles, Dealer told me to ride the bike to "break it in". The dealer said they called Yamaha and there are no FJR clutch problems. If you feel capable of servicing your clutch follow post and pictures under Technicial Discussions. I did not change the engine oil, I wanted to determine if dry clutches were really the problem.

After soaking the clutches, clutch and trans application is perfect. What I have noticed, engine braking with the clutch can be gradually applied. The bike rolls backward in gear clutched depressed 20% better than before. Occasionally, 1 out 10 times the bike clunks into first gear. (adjusting idle speed lower has stopped 1st gear clunk)

I am not sure why Yamaha and their dealer network treat customers poorly with regard to the clutch. The labor rate on clutch soaking cannot be that expensive. After doing my clutch, if I had a set of clutches soaked, the labor operation could be performed in less than 45 minutes.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter how the plates are lined up in regard to that white and pink mark?

I know the plates themselves have to go back in order but do I have to "line up" any of the plates with those marks?

Does it matter how the plates are lined up in regard to that white and pink mark?
I know the plates themselves have to go back in order but do I have to "line up" any of the plates with those marks?
Hi,

The white dot has to face out, it going to rotate with the assembly.(there is no index for this part, just centered in the friction plate) The friction lined plates have pink index marks and they need to placed between the the two triangles on the clutch basket. The steel plates did not have any index marks. Alternate your plates friction, steel, friction. If you are confused see pic 1,2, & 3 in an older post

(https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114431)

Good Luck,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: