on hwy 129 above the Dragon...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
email I just sent to DealsGap.com and TailoftheDragon.com

Saturday April 25, 2009

I just wanted to comment on the great experience I had with a TN HP officer on 129 after the overlook and the Dragon along the lake. I was going along the lake and doing, I guess 60 in a 40 while my riding buddy was caught in traffic behind me. Looking in my mirror, I was not studying my speed and looking ahead for police interceptors. I was listening to my tunes and had turned off my radar detector audio headset speaker <edit>. As I came upon a brown vehicle parked on the right at the end of that really long straightaway, I glanced at my radar detector which was visually going crazy, then the police vehicle's brake lights started to flash and as I got closer and alongside, a hand reached out the driver's window and pointed to the side of the road. I warned and informed my riding buddys behind me over the CB and pulled over in front of the police cruiser. The policeman got out and walked slowly toward me to my rear, right. I sat silently and kept my hands in plane sight after raising my flip up helmet. He looked at my license plate (Louisiana) and my American flag, POW/MIA flag, and Patriot Guard Riders flag on the rear, walked up to my right, and looked at my PGR stickers.

He quietly said I needed to slow down, and for my and other's safety's sake, be very careful on his local roads. I agreed and apologized. "Yes, Sir, I certainly will. Thank you and be safe out here, OK?", I said. He nodded, looked at all my electronics, smiled, and turned to walk back to his vehicle. I said, "Wait" and he stopped a step away and I removed my glove and reached out my hand. He sheepishly shook my hand, ryely smiled, and walked back toward his vehicle. All my six buddies had ridden by, by then, and I said in my CB that he was very nice and had let me off with a warning. "He let me go, I can't believe it after reading about the horror stories for years now."

I am motivated to do the right thing in the future, be more careful and aware, and grateful for the attitude and professionalism of this officer and the TN HP in general.

Best to all

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike

Michael H. Oliver

Metairie, Louisiana

suburb of New Orleans

Last edited by a moderator:
I was listening to my tunes and had turned off my radar detector. As I came upon a brown vehicle parked on the right at the end of that really long straightaway, I glanced at my radar detector which was visually going crazy, then the police vehicle's brake lights started to flash and as I got closer and alongside
I don't understand. If your radar detector was turned off, how could it visually be going crazy?

I was listening to my tunes and had turned off my radar detector. As I came upon a brown vehicle parked on the right at the end of that really long straightaway, I glanced at my radar detector which was visually going crazy, then the police vehicle's brake lights started to flash and as I got closer and alongside
I don't understand. If your radar detector was turned off, how could it visually be going crazy?
Incredibly strong radar signal-probably cooking him as he sat there. Had it been me, no doubt I would have been before

MyCousinVinny3g.JPG

Doh!

Doh!
whoops, turned off the audio speaker in my helmet headset

Adaptiv wireless headset speaker running off calculator battery thingy

at lunch, I had turned it off and forgot to turn it back on

was not looking at the leds visual alert in time for the bust

fixed in original post

Doh!
whoops, turned off the audio speaker in my helmet headset

Adaptiv wireless headset speaker running off calculator battery thingy

at lunch, I had turned it off and forgot to turn it back on

was not looking at the leds visual alert in time for the bust

fixed in original post
If I send ya a buck will you play the Lottery for me?

I am motivated to do the right thing in the future, be more careful and aware, and grateful for the attitude and professionalism of this officer and the TN HP in general.
Bah, that's the wrong attitude. You deserved a ticket, now go out there and earn one! :lol:

I would have to say you were saved by all the POW / MIA / Patriot Guard stuff. In the future, one thing that you can do to improve your odds even better is to take off your helmet and let him see all the gray hair!!

They're out there hunting squids. They don't want to be hassling no Veteran Grandpas! :rolleyes:

I would have to say you were saved by all the POW / MIA / Patriot Guard stuff. In the future, one thing that you can do to improve your odds even better is to take off your helmet and let him see all the gray hair!!
They're out there hunting squids. They don't want to be hassling no Veteran Grandpas! :rolleyes:
+1

+1
have to agree

the 3 day gray beard may have helped and the sheepish look might have moved him

also, all the electronic farkles was blinding him and he wanted away from my feej as soon as possible

3229124651_d95899e6e2.jpg

not sure if I want him to see my CMA skull cap under my helmet...now that part was embarrassing and may have caused real consequences - the reap what ya sow thang

and I thank my lucky stars where was some traffic at the beginning of the road which slowed Jeff Q who was chasing me. I was waiting for him to come up whenever safe. 4 minutes before from the lookout to the lake, we came out of the curves and were just 10 or 20 mph below triple digits for a short jaunt - with no other vehicles in sight. That was real goofy on my part and won't happen again. And I sure it wouldn't have been dealt with so politely.

Patriot I think what you did was a good move. Sitting in a car hunting speeders has to be a drag. What you did was courteous and probably raised his opinion of bikers at least for the day. If you argue , you can only lose, they have already decided to pull you over. By being a decent guy they have a choice a ticket or warning, and you can effect the outcome.

being a Navy man, technically, I am a lifetime squid

4 minutes before from the lookout to the lake, we came out of the curves and were just 10 or 20 mph below triple digits for a short jaunt - with no other vehicles in sight. That was real goofy on my part and won't happen again.
Ha ha, yeah right... :rolleyes:

being a Navy man, technically, I am a lifetime squid
As am I. But although it (maybe) part of the etymology for the term, I don't think either of us would qualify for the modern definition.

Patriot,

It is not about the stickers and farkles, its all about the attitude!

As a former LEO, its the "yes sir and no sir" that shines out, and

being military, that comes natural for you, and most LEO's are

former military. A yes sir, no sir, kiss your ass very much sir,

works just about every time!

FWFE

Never the less....

I am thinking your Veteran status was a big key to victory...

Most folks in the brown/blue uniforms are willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a true patriot..

One that has sacrificed something for FREEDOM deserves that!

Been my policy for a decade an a half.

WW

email I just sent to DealsGap.com and TailoftheDragon.com
Saturday April 25, 2009

I just wanted to comment on the great experience I had with a TN HP officer on 129 after the overlook and the Dragon along the lake. I was going along the lake and doing, I guess 60 in a 40 while my riding buddy was caught in traffic behind me. Looking in my mirror, I was not studying my speed and looking ahead for police interceptors. I was listening to my tunes and had turned off my radar detector audio headset speaker <edit>. As I came upon a brown vehicle parked on the right at the end of that really long straightaway, I glanced at my radar detector which was visually going crazy, then the police vehicle's brake lights started to flash and as I got closer and alongside, a hand reached out the driver's window and pointed to the side of the road. I warned and informed my riding buddys behind me over the CB and pulled over in front of the police cruiser. The policeman got out and walked slowly toward me to my rear, right. I sat silently and kept my hands in plane sight after raising my flip up helmet. He looked at my license plate (Louisiana) and my American flag, POW/MIA flag, and Patriot Guard Riders flag on the rear, walked up to my right, and looked at my PGR stickers.

He quietly said I needed to slow down, and for my and other's safety's sake, be very careful on his local roads. I agreed and apologized. "Yes, Sir, I certainly will. Thank you and be safe out here, OK?", I said. He nodded, looked at all my electronics, smiled, and turned to walk back to his vehicle. I said, "Wait" and he stopped a step away and I removed my glove and reached out my hand. He sheepishly shook my hand, ryely smiled, and walked back toward his vehicle. All my six buddies had ridden by, by then, and I said in my CB that he was very nice and had let me off with a warning. "He let me go, I can't believe it after reading about the horror stories for years now."

Best to all

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike

Michael H. Oliver

Metairie, Louisiana

suburb of New Orleans
REPLY Below:

Mike:

Thanks for the heads-up. I witnessed a very similar situation on Sunday.

Rider was stopped at the pull-off where I was taking some pictures and

given a verbal warning for 59 in a 30. That's when I posted my opinion

that THP may be using a different approach with riders this year.

You comments seem to confirm my thoughts.

Thanks,

Ron