Wacked It!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHLANDER

naewittyshitepostedeere
Reaction score
So it was 100 degrees today and I got around to something I'd been meaning to do for a while, I chopped the screen. What a difference, nice clean non heated air rushing by. No turbulence at all! I painted the shield too as I had painted my FJ1200 shiedl a number of years ago, it's still holding up well. Turned out great, just needs a little edge work, but I wanted to go riding and I'm impaitient! 'Coure ya eat a few more bugs, but it's worth it! :D

Shield down

IMG_0140.jpg

Shield up

IMG_0139.jpg

Shield down

IMG_0137.jpg

Shield up

IMG_0138.jpg

Very cool. Got a bit of a cafe racer look there (from the side). :beach:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't you just take the shield off and hold your hand in front of your face? JB :lol:

Why didn't you just take the shield off and hold your hand in front of your face?

Good point gasman B)

This works for speeds up to 60 mph. Faster than that you slap yourself unconscious :bleh:

Stef

That looks kool as hell,,,, what did you use to cut it ??

I am working on a fairing mod right now,, I am removing the indicator lights and filling in the space with nickle plated screen,,, for air flow to the engine,,,new smaller lights to be installed on the forks where the useless reflectors once resided,,

btw ,,what kind of rad cover are you running???

Looks kewl, nice Job :D Hightlander!! :D

I ordered the Concave sport shield from CB, I hope it looks that kewl!

UnCaged

Thanks for the feedback!!

It only took a couple hours, mostly waiting for the paint to dry well.

Radiator gaurd is from BikeJohhny, Stainless steel , the kind! :D If you want real protection, SS is the way to go.

I cut it with a medium tooth blade with my electric jig saw. It cut like butter. You do not want to use a fine tooth blade or the shield will try to seal itself back together behind the cut. Make sure you clamp the screen to a bench or something secure.

I used a few layers of painters " blue " tape across the shield so I could layout the cut.

To polish the cut edge I used a palm orbital sander with fine sandpaper. Painted slowly with 5 coats black on the inside of the screen.

Galxy5.. ditchin the signals eh? That's a new one, keep us updated on the progress.

Uncaged - Is there a method to the shape or is just for style?

How do like riding behind it?

I just bought a Givi and I can tell I won't be happy with just one windshield. The Givi sucks on a hot day.

Coyote, make a spacer to raise the lower edge of the windshield. I use 2' 5/16 nuts under each mounting screw---between the "W" bracket sandwich and the motor bracket. When fully down, it allows a bit more air under the windshield for a cooling effect. You just have to buy 2 longer countersunk allen screws to allow for the "spacers". If you don't have time to do it before our trip, you can see mine in Auburn. :D

Or spend 76.00 and get the Rifle Tuning block which is the way I went but then again I've got a big barn door Rifle sheild for winter riding, it lays the sheild back far enough I get all the air I need, put on the stock with tuning block and even mor air than the stock set up. :D

rogerfjrfaster :D

Has anyone tried riding around without any windscreen at all? Or does that little bit of screen help "just enough"?

Coyote! I just ordered it, I haven't got it yet, I will let ya'll know when I do and give you and update.

I did however take off my stock screen and take the bike out, I loved the extra Airflow!

The shape is supposed to increase airflow to your chest area and keep it from bouncing your head around :haha: I'll let ya know if it works!! :D

ps, I also ordered the +2+2 light tint screen, because I ordered 2 screens they gave me a great deal (one for long trips, one for short trips,One for Summer, one for winter. :D )

UnCaged

Is that Rifle Tuning block $75.50 better than the 5/16" nuts? I alway feel better if I pay a litte too much, but that is much much if the end result is the same.

I'm also trying to locate a gadget I read about. It goes on top of your helmet and breaks the airflow making it stick to the helmet. This is supposed to eliminate the buffeting. I think it's like the vortex generators I've seen on airplanes.

I don't care if I'm completely out of the airflow, it's the friggin buffeting that drives me nuts. Rattles my eyeballs and gives me a headache. :bigeyes: