36mpg Isn't That Low ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Sounds a little low to me. Others have reported 45.

Could it be the heat here in Alabama?

bike history...almost none :D

3 months old

cruise control

mp3

Yami top box

James

I've found that elevation changes mileage most for me. Here a sea level, I get a constant 40 mpg, regardless of riding conditions. Above say, 3,500 feet, I get 50 mpg. Most I ever got was 52 mpg crossing highway 88, north of Yosemite last April. (No top box, small tail bag, screen down average of 70 mph.) Prolly an average elevation of 5,000 feet, I'd guess.

Screen up and top box would have an effect I suppose and I don't know how humidity would factor in, but heat does not enter into the equation for me...

There's another feller from Texas who claimed to have gotten 'only' 35 mpg or so. But, he'll not be joining in on this thread cause he got his sorry ass banned! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a little low to me. Others have reported 45.
It's not abhorrently low, though a bit lower than average. A slightly eager throttle hand (when coming off the start line, roll-ons in passing, etc) could easily account for it.

I get about 38-39 mpg even now (city commuting). This will climb to the very low 40's on the interstate.

IMO, 36 mpg is a pinch lower than average, but perhaps not excessively so.....
shrug.gif

Oh..yeah, forgot to mention that I do have the Yami touring screen. I ride with it mostly down..except at night.

Would a throttle sync increase mileage? I ask because I haven't done one yet.

James

My mileage is very similar to Warchilds.... I have averaged just under 41 MPG for the entire time I've owned the bike, but can see it drop into the high 30's when it's mostly stop and go city driving, and climb into the upper 40's when it's mostly highway cruising. I've also found that triple digit speeds tend to lower it significantly.... :ph34r:

It's all throttle and RPM related for me. Really flog it up a tight mountain pass trying to keep up with smaller/lighter bikes and I can dip into the low-30's. Steady-state interstate cruising at 70-80 mph will yield low- to mid-40's.

- Mark

FYI,

44.7mpg. Mostly flying around 65mph with as much "spirited" throttle as possible. I run either 87 or 89 octane. Some gas stations have run out of 87 around here.

MO

in Northern Michigan.

FYI,44.7mpg.  Mostly flying around 65mph with as much "spirited" throttle as possible.  I run either 87 or 89 octane.  Some gas stations have run out of 87 around here. 

MO

in Northern Michigan.

:erm: If they've run out of 87 then they are out of 89, too. 89 is a mix of 87 and 91. Really. I read that on the 'net.

I never bother to track the mileage.....when the tank is low I fill it up....that way it keeps the fun rolling!

**Sounds a little low to me. Others have reported 45***

As stated above. Your right wrist is to blame.

Try an experiment. Fill tank. Ride as if there is no more gas in the world. Slowish starts, gentle overtaking, anticipate red lights. Change gears +/- 3000 rpm. In other words ride it as if it were your girlfriend and not your ex wife.

Your riding style could lessen your tank range by 60 - 100 miles.

Howard

edited to add :: Never had to adjust TBS. Was spot on at 13,000 Kms

Last edited by a moderator:
Try putting it in 5th gear and see if it makes a difference. :bleh: :bleh:

Seriously, 36 mpg is pretty low, I've never been below 40 mpg on my '04 FJR, pretty consistently average in the 43-45 mpg range, using California's oxygenated gas and running in the 75 mph + range. My son and I only get about 35 mpg out of our GSXR's but those are much higher performance engines than the FJR's.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

James,

Don't feel too bad; I normally get more like 33. I've gotten 40 when driving sedately, but that doesn't happen all that often. Try driving it gently and see what you get. BTW, I'm betting a TBS doesn't help enough to be measurable.

I doubt it's the heat....I'm getting 42 -45 mpg in the 100 deg. weather with our typical 200% Houston humidity, even 2-up; while I'm not doing burnouts, I don't hesitate to twist the throttle either....didn't see a significant change after TB sync. BUT I did put 100% Helium in the tires..... :bleh:

The most I ever got was 44 mpg. That was 238 miles at cruising speed mostly slab at 500-1000ft.

I normally get around 38-40 depending on my riding style. Last Sunday I got 41 on mostly curvy backroads with an easy throttlehand.