36mpg Isn't That Low ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throttle body sync couldn't hurt. Spark plugs and dirty air filter could also be part of the problem. Most likely, in agreemnet with the others here, it is your riding style. The more you use that awesome torque the more fuel your bike will swill.

Of course the new '06 will get better mileage because of the additional 6th gear. ;)

I get 37-38 in the city and maybe 43 on the highway. Stock engine and windshield and no power commander.

43 miles x 6.6 gallon tank = 283.8 miles.

I get mostly mid to high 30's mpg (35-38) most of the time, but my throttle hand drinks too much coffee. I can easily increase that to 40 just by rolling through 1st & 2nd easier. I can get up to about 44-45 on the slab if the mph is kept under 80.

As long as you are riding as spirited as me, your mpg is fine.

I just added up my gas receipts and so far I'm averaging 44.3 mpg. I would guess that 25% has been highway and the rest just doing slow backroads and terrorizing our rural neighborhood. :assasin:

The only time my mileage was in the 30's, one of my inboard front brake pads was dragging. Stop & go eats alot of fuel. My usual commute sees several passes on a 2 lane highway in eccess of 100 mph, with little stop & go. Mpg is 43 to 45.

The lowest mileage I saw was in the low 20's. I hit the blinking reserve in 120 miles. Let's just say it didn't take a long time :D

It was running just fine at the time also. It now gets low 40's with a more judicious throttle hand.

Grady A. Dunham

Try an experiment. Fill tank. Ride as if there is no more gas in the world. Slowish starts, gentle overtaking, anticipate red lights. Change gears +/- 3000 rpm.
Now in the movie MadMax there was no more gas..... why did they always ride so fast? Ok, maybe the movie would have been I little boring if they all rode around slowish and gentle. Does anyone know if it was just Australia or was the whole world out of gas. I'm not sure. :dwarf: :mace: :eek:rc:

Last edited by a moderator:
bike history...almost none 
I've seen several reports in the past of increases in fuel mileage after the 5000 mile mark. Either way, I think I'd get at least a few thousand miles on it before making too many judgements or tearing it apart.

I went on a ride every day over the 4th. I got 48 mpg on flat state highways and interstate at around 65-70.

I don't think I've ever seen below 42.

I better lear how to ride more aggressively so I can start getting lower mileage1 :D

My annal-retentive nerdy calculations show the following:

Lowest MPG: 36

Highest MPG: 47

Mean of 40.248mpg

Sample size: 10

Sigma deviation is 3.161 (6 sigma = 18.969)

Cpk of 1.028.

From the above, I should not be surprised if I get as low as 21MPG or as high as 59MPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
My annal-retentive nerdy calculations show the following:
Lowest MPG: 36

Highest MPG: 47

Mean of 40.248mpg

Sample size: 10

Sigma deviation is 3.161 (6 sigma = 18.969)

Cpk of 1.028.

From the above, I should not be surprised if I get as low as 21MPG or as high as 59MPG.
Er, being 'anal retentive', you forgot to figure in the fart factor which should, in your case, be about 2.5 fpm. Consequently, you're mileage will increase by 2.5% provided your vector control releases the 'wind' in the right direction. Of course, this is all negated if your pillion gets a whiff and starts flailing hers hands creating extra aero drag in a desperate attempt to breathe in some untainted air... :stink:

I have had my bike for three weeks and a day, just about to hit 1000 miles on it. Had my 600 mile service done at 583 miles (including the TBS, of course) and I have not noticed a change in my fuel consumption. The bike wants to run, and I let her. I average around 37 to 38 mpg, across the board. I use Shell 89 octane gas everytime, and make every attempt to fill it to the bottom of the fuel neck as shown in the owner's manual. I get about an inch from the bottom of it, before the nozzle shuts off, so my calculations are pretty much dead on. I KNOW my problem is too much throttle. I say, just ride it like it was meant to be riden, hard and fast, put some miles on it, get it out of your system, and then go from there. I love this bike, and even if I only get 25 mpg, I wouldn't complain, because that is still 11 mpg more than my 00' Silverado gets.

P.S. TwoWheelNut, you are hilarious. I laugh at everyone of your posts. We have to get together and ride...........See ya!

Aaron