Question About ABS Warning Light Flashing.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LetzRoll

Reaction score
I thought I saw a thread here, on EZ or the Owners site about this and I searched all 3 places and can't find any reference to it. Can anyone here provide any help?

First instance was last Sunday afternoon. I was riding slow and easy at the time, after coming off the superslab for about an hour (also at a relaxed pace), when the ABS warning light starts flashing. The weather wasn't particularly hot or humid, in fact, it was beautiful out. I stopped the bike and visually inspected all obvious brake components. With bike on center stand the rear wheel spun a little too slow for me, so I figured the rear rotor may have heated up and caused problems with a sensor. Anyway, the light went off and stayed off, so I rode home easy and kept and eye on it. Took another ride later in the day and no problems.

Then rode to work and back yesterday at a relaxed pace with no problem. I rode to work this morning and at the end of the trip (@30 miles, mostly slab, foggy) it started flashing again. (Doh!) I don’t have Speiglers or anything, everything is box stock.

Before I take it to the dealer, which is hassle I won't go into detail about right now, any help would be appreciated. Wisecracks? Well, I probably deserve a few of those. :p

Thanks.

Blasphemy!!!! :eek: Sacrilege!! :eek:

That goes against everything this place stands for!

I went to a dealer for help, once. Ya know what they said?

Go ask the people on FJRForum! So I did. :blink:

When I asked the question here this morning, I was at work. Unfortunately for me, my service manual was at home. So for the benefit of those who don't know (or didn't like me).... from the Yamaha service manual troubleshooting section:

[C-4] ABS warning light flashes every 0.5 second. Make sure the customer understands the possible conditions when the ABS warning light comes on.

1. Warning light flashes

The following are probable causes to explain why the ABS warning light flashed while riding and then stopped flashing or stopped when the main switch was set to "OFF", then to "ON".

1) The rear wheel was rotated with the motorcycle on the centerstand.

===> The system is normal.

(Not the case with my situation.)

2) The rear wheel raced.

(Possible, but not probable in my situation.)

3) The motorcycle was ridden on the rear wheel with the front wheel

elevated.

(Not likely in my situation.)

4) The motorcycle was ridden on extremely uneven roads continuously.

(This could've been the case for me Sunday as I came into road

construction with uneven roads just around the time I noticed the

warning light flashing, but doesn't explain this morning's case.)

5) The brake switch is defective or improperly adjusted.

===> Replace or adjust.

This is a distinct possibility, as I have ruled out everything else.

2. Voltage drop

For the ABS to operate correctly, the voltage should always be higher than

the specified voltage. If the voltage drops to lower than 10v...

(Not in my case. I have a voltage meter onboard, it was @ 14v.)

3. ABS stopped by the ECU (ABS)

The ECU (ABS) may stop the operation if it is exposed to extremely strong electromagnetic waves or static electricity... Explain to the customer that

the ABS will operate normally.

In more than one place in the manual it states when the ABS flashes when riding it is normal and the system is always working.

If the warning light stays on, that's another story.

Hope this helps someone.

It happened to me twice in a two day period. Hot day, slow moving traffic. Both times the light continued to flash until I stopped and turned the bike off. When getting back on the light was back to normal (off). That was last August and it hasn't happened since. My service manager, who has an FJR, says that the computer reset itself and all is right with the world.

I just wish I had an on/off switch for the ABS so I could do stoppies! :D

Rog

Even if your system voltage reads 14 V that is not a guarantee the ABS system is seeing 14 V. All it takes is a loose or corroded connection.

Good point Pen'.

I'm just glad the flashing warning light was not serious. Maybe Yamaha should have a better reference to the issue in the owner's manual? (As opposed to the service manual.) Nah, nobody reads those, right? I bet most of us did, though. :hmmm:

And to think that TWN wanted you to see your dealer! What a crock! Who let that guy in here anyway?

:D :D

EDIT: This was intended as a light hearted joke, not to be taken seriously. (I don't want to go to any sarcastic harassment classes.)

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: This was intended as a light hearted joke, not to be taken seriously. (I don't want to go to any sarcastic harassment classes.)
Glad ya caught yerself Gun'... the PC police are everywhere! :detect:

And to think that TWN wanted you to see your dealer! What a crock! Who let that guy in here anyway? :D :D

Hey, mine's not ABS so I never read the blurb about the blinky lights. Honest mistake on my part.

You will be hearing from my barrister from the law firm of Dewey Screwem & Howe, LLC regarding the sarcasm... Here's their toll free number 800-328-7448! :p

No problem 'nut. :hi:

We know ya meant well. Who knew? :)

I'm sorry but you can't sick Dewey Screwem & Howe, LLC on me either, I already had them on retainer. (Conflict of interest?) Maybe we can sick them on GunMD and get his Viper?

BTW, is that a new phone number for them? (800.eat.shit) I thought it was 800.737.4687? :huh:

Stray Bullet sez:

I just wish I had an on/off switch for the ABS so I could do stoppies! biggrin.gif
Pull the f'n fuse and go for it. They make adapters that plug into the fuse socket so you can add other things -- how about a switch? Pain/No Pain, err On/Off :lol:

Alan

We know ya meant well. Who knew?
Yeah, I really do care, I just don't like to show it... ;)

I'm sorry but you can't sick Dewey Screwem & Howe, LLC on me either, I already had them on retainer. (Conflict of interest?) Maybe we can sick them on GunMD and get his Viper?

Ooooh, dunno about the Viper. Doubt he'll give that up without one hell of a fight! Besides, look at his screen name. I'm guessing he may be armed... :blink: