06 FJR "ADJUSTABLE???" handlebars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPDSGT

Reaction score
I have an '06 A. I did not like the "ANGLE" of the handlebars. They will move up and back almost an inch but the angle of the grips can not be changed. (The AE is the same I believe)

After 200 -- 300 miles the outside heals of my palms (away from the thumb) would get very sore and start to ache. I took the handlebars lose and found they are connected to each other via the larger bolt. I also found that there are "TWO" hardened line-up pins that only let the bars set at a certain angle. (They can only move up and back -- no twist).I asked my friend who is a top mechanic at a big dealership about this, and would it be possible to remove one of the pins or drill different holes.

I took it apart and we decided to remove one of the pins that was nearest the grip. I left the other pin in. Now these pins don't come out easy -- but they will come out. We used two people and side cutters (dykes) to pry them out. You can turn the bar to get under where the pins are. The pins are hardened and that makes them hard to get a grip on. If you do it -- just keep trying.

Now I can move the ends of the bars up or back 2-3 inches. I can get the exact angle for my hand to rest on the entire grip. It is very easy to tell if the two bars are at the same angle from the way they sit on the top crown.

When all set where I wanted them; I re-torqued all bolts and they are just as strong as ever. NOTE: This does not move the bars up or down (you can just chose your angle). They are attached the very same way they were from the factory. One little line-up pin is removed. This is "FREE" and it takes about 1/2 hour to do and you need no different bolts or harware. (I saved the two pins in case I ever want to put them back).

If this makes you nervous -- don't do it. I was brave and my hands feel completely different on the grips.

I am off for a 3000 mile trip next week and will let you know if there is any problem (I don't expect any).

I definitely need to look at this - It has been my suggestion all along that much of the hand numbing reported with the 06 fjr has much to do with the angle of the bars. A couple of degrees toward flat would be a huge improvement.

Yes, this is good to know. I have been waiting for someone to try this. Pictures would be good, as I would like to see the diffrence angle wise against the stock position. I would guess that doing this will move the bars farther away from the driver , which might be a good trade off for me anyway...

KM

VERY interesting, EXPDSGT!
Got some pics for us?
I didn't take pics -- it is very simple. You just look at the bottom of where the bar mounts to the tripleclamp and there is the two little pins. Take out the one that is closest to the grip (so you can swing the end of the bar) and you're good to go.

I don't know if it "levels" out the bars; but you sure can move the end of the bar up or back to where it fits in your hand like you want it to. It does not raise or lower the bar and the move is level as it still is tightly mounted to the triple clamp.

What I like is that you lose no strength and no new hardware is needed but you can get that "angle" right just for you. You would have to bend the end of the bar to do it witout removing one of the pins. And once you torque those bolts up those bars arn't going anywhere.

Everything is back together and I didn't take pics. A picture of it now would show nothing as I just put the one pin in the closest to me hole and moved the ends forward about two inches to where my palm fit perfectly with the grip. Before I had to move my elbows in towards each other for my palms to be even with the grips.

I have to leave so I can't disassemble now. Sorry --- trust me it is very simple except for getting the pin out. You might need vice grips, but it does come oiut with no damage to anything. (Oh cover the tank with a heavy towel or blanket as both bars are just flopping around so be careful about that.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like popular demand requires that you re-disassemble and do the photo shoot. Sorry, but get busy. :D

I definitely need to look at this - It has been my suggestion all along that much of the hand numbing reported with the 06 fjr has much to do with the angle of the bars. A couple of degrees toward flat would be a huge improvement.
Agreed!!

Tell ya what, ya'll... I wanna do this. So, this weekend, I'll break it down and take pics as I do it.

Agreed!!

Tell ya what, ya'll... I wanna do this. So, this weekend, I'll break it down and take pics as I do it.
Thanks for taking me off the hook. Honestly it is not hard. I asked the dealer to see the book they have on moving the handle bars and it is a joke. As you know the hand book tells you to "see your dealer" if you want to move them. It is not that hard. I removed both allen screws all the way. They bolt into a movable nut that stays under the triple clamp. (It won't fall out so take the allens all the way out).

The 17MM nut is very tight (from the factory) Remove that nut completely on both sides. Now with just a little wiggle both bars will lift straight up and one guy can hold it while the other grabs that little devil with sidecutters or vice-grips and twist and pry up. It took about a minute but it did move so go back and forth while prying and it will come out with no damage to anything.

I would not remove both pins as you would have no reference point then. However it would be just as strong.

The two bolts that stick up through the triple clamp are hooked to each other underneith. They are spring loaded to pull forward and you have to hook the handle bar over them and pull bachwards and get the one pin in the hole you want it in. I would start with the hole closest to rider as you probably will want to shove the bars forward to get your fit. They will go about three inches but I just went to where may hands were straight on the grips (where I wanted them). You could pull the ends towards you if you had short arms. They will pivot both ways. You can also use any of the three holes and the ends will still pivot.

Removing this pin gives you so many more options. Make sure you torque the nut and allen. The allen is about 24 and the 17 nut is like 44 (you will see that when you losen it).

I snuged all four bolts with my fingers and sat on the bike on the center stand and got them close and kept moving them till I got it perfect. NOTE: you will have both bars off and turned sideways so you can get to the pins. That is why it takes two guys -- don't want to bang that tank.

That is all I can think of -- didn't take pics cause I have to leave and wanted to do it quick. (less than 1/2 hour)

Not to side the thread but I mentioned in an earlier one that it would be great if someone with the resourses could bulid handlebars that mount with the stock setup, have rise built into them and with pullback also built into them. You could also as suggested here to put the grips into a good straight angle and in all this and still use the stock cables. Go figure. PM. <>< :blink:

Anyone can do it -- if you don't like it you can put them right back.

I don't think there is anything you can mess up.

After; the bars can be moved (rotated) forward or back from any of the three holes.

It does not raise the bars -- they are the same height.

It is easy to get the bars lined up the same on both sides by looking at the line-up of the holder and the triple clamp on both sides -- just make them the same..

Thanks for the tip! B) The only gripe I have w/my '06 was my numb right thumb and forefinger. Between this and the throttlemeisters I'm good to go. (well except maybe the stock seat).

+1 on the numb index finger and thumb.

Quick fix....don't white knuckel the throttle...relax your grip a little, it helps alot.

Picture1110001.jpg

I did this adjustment last week after finding it in the service manual (3-34&35). I set mine from B back to the C position which gave me a 1/4" back. I did the left one first with not much problem but getting the right bar back took just a little more effort because of the tight cables. When reassembling, the manual says to tighten the bolt first, but the bolt is hard to get started and it is easier to tighten the nut first which will bring up the receiving threads which gets your bolt started (that sounded vaguely vulgar). Then, go ahead and tighten the bolt all the way first as instructed.

Agreed!!

Where are the piccies?

Agreed!!

Where are the piccies?

I remember pictures, and someone posting that they cut a pin off, yet another who used CO2 to freeze a pin so it was easier to pull. Was it a different thread? I wanted to go back at some point and do this mod.......disappointed if we lost all that data. Anybody?

-- EDITED --

I think I found the thread here:

handlebar modification pictures and thread