BMW S1000RR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyUSN

Reaction score
A guy at work bought one of these machines. He damn near begged me to take it for a spin.

Talk about some Sick power! At just over 400lbs and just under 200HP... Just the thought of lofting the front wheel, and it's up.

Lucky bastage! I'd love to take one of those out for a spin. Couldn't own one though, I'd lose my licence in no time...or die!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...24.msg18592#new Our FJR Forum Member DingusKhan, he attends SW-FOG and other Forum Sponsored Ride Events, just bought a brand new S1000R from Sandia BMW in Albuquerque. DK is Dirk Keeler from Deming, New Mexico. He loves it and is chronicling his ownership experiences with this bike at BMW MOA #89 AZ Beemers website.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...24.msg18592#new Our FJR Forum Member DingusKhan, he attends SW-FOG and other Forum Sponsored Ride Events, just bought a brand new S1000R from Sandia BMW in Albuquerque. DK is Dirk Keeler from Deming, New Mexico. He loves it and is chronicling his ownership experiences with this bike at BMW MOA #89 AZ Beemers website.
I just contacted DingusKahn - DirkK and asked that he duplicate his ride findings of his new BMW S1000RR here on our FJR Forum, since there is some interest about this muy rapido BMW motorraden!

I just contacted DingusKahn - DirkK and asked that he duplicate his ride findings of his new BMW S1000RR here on our FJR Forum, since there is some interest about this muy rapido BMW motorraden sehr schnelle BMW Motorräder!
fixed that for you.

I just contacted DingusKahn - DirkK and asked that he duplicate his ride findings of his new BMW S1000RR here on our FJR Forum, since there is some interest about this muy rapido BMW motorraden sehr schnelle BMW Motorräder!
fixed that for you.
Ha, Ha: Good One, phroenips!

This bike definately requires respect for power. What I brought to my tame little spin was probably more fear than respect.

1. I was not my toy to break.

2. I've never been on anything that powerful.

I worry even more now about our young military returning from desert deployments with money to burn, lacking healthy fear, knowledge, and respect for these machines.

About a week ago I took possesion of a Thunder Grey S1000RR. Wow - what a bike. I already have over 700 miles on it and will be taking it back to Sandia BMW for the first service on Tuesday. The thing feels feather light to me and it handles soooo nice. Quite different than the 1200GSA to say the least and the FJR.

The day I picked it up I rode around the south end of the Sandia Mountains and around the east side. I went up to the peak and back down on a nice twisty road. Coming back down I was a little more familiar with the road so I pushed it a bit more. Man was that fun. Then I went north to Madrid, made famous by "Wild Hogs". Little fartsy artsy town, not for me. Headed back the same way, loaded it up in the trailer and made the trip back south to home.

Here's a couple of pictures from Madrid.

SNC00066.jpg

SNC00070.jpg

SNC00069.jpg

Last Saturday my cousin (on his CBR1000RR) and I went over the mountain from Hilsburough to Silver City New Mexico. The pass on top is about 8,000ft, so it is a nice tight twisty road. I passed a guy on a 1200GS, several Harleys/ V-twins and a few cars. When I got to the bottom on the other side where the road straightened out I stopped to wait for the Honda. It's the rider that was slow, not the CBR. I can't beleive how well this thing handles. Keep in mind this is in the "break-in" period with the rev limiter set at 9,000RPM by BMW. I have a big sore spot on the top of my head from hitting the limiter so often. Tomorrow that goes away!!!! I have not run them side by side, but I think even at 9k limit the S1000 could take the FJR in a drag race. And the power band is 9k to 14,300 red line. The one I road in Tempe was indeed "scary fast". I'm not a pro. I hope I have enough respect and self control not to kill myself. "Let's see... how do I turn wheelie control off???"

The shift assist is the cats meow. It is really fun to shift without letting off the throttle or pulling in the clutch. Down shifting is done as normal, only the up-shifts are "assisted".

I will be taking it out to a track day at Arroy Seco in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I can keep it rubber side down!

DK :yahoo:

I will be taking it out to a track day at Arroy Seco in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I can keep it rubber side down!DK :yahoo:
I would love to rig up a heart monitor that reads out engine rmp -vs- heart bpm on your first non limited ride. I bet it would bring a laugh or two.

No scratches allowed while riding on temp tags! Enjoy, and be safe!

That's a gorgeous bike. Isn't it surprising how good looking the thing is even with that BMW badge on it? Have lots of fun with it, DK!

did a test ride on one last month. BMW of Bentonville AR had a demo bike.

fantasic bike, my 50+ body didn't care for the ergo's.

Lucky bastage! I'd love to take one of those out for a spin. Couldn't own one though, I'd lose my licence in no time...or die!
+1That and the closest BMW dealership to me went belly up last year....thankfully I guess. :unsure:

Ummm, oh yeah, full coverage insurance, that's a deterrent too!

Good luck with her, I'd be permanently mounting a RADAR detector on that puppy! :dribble:

Wouldn't matter if you're speeding or not...front wheel in the air =reckless op! I'd have a hard time NOT disabling the wheely control. It'd be the ultimate track toy, but I don't have the $$$ to burn.

Dingus, have you tried installing that little red plug under the seat yet?
BTW...I hate you...not really, just jealous!
I have not plugged in the red plug. What he is referring to is the plug that must be installed to go into "slick" mode. Slick mode allows more slip in the rear end and allows a wheelie of about 30degrees for 5 seconds. It is intended for use on a track with racing slicks.

Of course even without the red plug in, you can just turn DTC off. Then you can wheelie and fip it over, do doughnuts, burnouts etc. No traction control at all.

I'm not a good enough rider to try any of that.

DK

Congrats, that is a sexy machine with tons and tons of power....

Have had my eye on one or an R1 for a little while now.... we'll see how things pan out in that direction... :)

Latest posts