FJR 1300 Turbo Charged ??????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmotion

Reaction score
A thought was inspired from mention in another post. What is the feasibility of turbo charging a FJR? Are there any turbo kits out there that can be modified to work with the JFR? Just how much power can be gained keeping reasonable reliability? How controllable would the power delivery be on a FJR-AE compared to the FJR-A?

Just a few thoughts and questions that came to my mind. WHAT IF?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything is possible with enough cash....remember the old saying 'Speed costs money..how fast do you want to go?'

Many years ago there was a guy putting turbos on Honda CBXs; recently I read about a shop that specializes in Triumphs (Bonnies & the Rocket III!).

So go ahead, add the turbo; please upload the video for us to see.

Oh, and, you may want to buy stock in Michelin first.... ;)

Edit: And I would gladly pay for test ride! B)

I brought up the same subject about a year ago. I think it would be insane so why not. Could the rest of the bike take it I don't know. Alot of riders are concerned about heat. Turbos throw off alot of heat. But I would not be to concered about heat while riding a 200 plus HP FJR. That would be fun!! If the factory produced one would you buy it?????????? I would!!!! Or just go with a simple Blower "super charger". No Turbo Lag or plumbing!

Cut the crap. You want to go fast? Buy a turbo 'busa or a ZX-14 with the butterfies out.
-BD

I think all FJR owners like to go fast.......DON'T WE? If not I would venture that most would have just bought a touring bike and called it a day. Because of my girth and age of my knees I'm just not at all comfortable on a Busa or ZX-14. With a modest 5 to 6 lbs of boost my FJR would be a lot more likeble to me. I'd have no problem handling or utilizing all of the speedometer. For a cost of about $4000 it would still be as cheap as a BMW 1200-GT. I made this post because I was wondering if anyone was aware of a practical application that would fit and work on an FJR. I would contemplate turbo charging a Honda Goldwing but I own a FJR. Besides I would imagine that it wouildn't be fun trying to stop the Goldwing and it just wouldn't handle well at speed considering the clearances.

Things that make you say "Hmmmmmm".

Make no mistake. This is a very serious post. Not just for entertainment purposes only. The FJR would be for entertainment purposes only. A supercharger would work too if the application would be better suited for the FJR. Since there is no drive belt system on motorcycle engines it might get complicated fabricating some type of gear driven system from the crank. I think turbos would be more practical for a motorcycle installation. It appears that Mr. Turbo in Texas must agree with you since they only make turbo systems for Suzuki and Kawasaki. I did place a call to them and that was the response I got.

<snip>With a modest 5 to 6 lbs of boost my FJR would be a lot more likeble to me. I'd have no problem handling or utilizing all of the speedometer. For a cost of about $4000 it would still be as cheap as a BMW 1200-GT. I made this post because I was wondering if anyone was aware of a practical application that would fit and work on an FJR.

<snip>
First off, about 80% of the people I run into that want more power, don't use the power they have to begin with. Red line may be 9k, but the fuel cut is at 10k. If you're shifting early when you want power, you're throwing power away now.

Now, if you want a turbo, it's fairly easy to do. Buy a spare exhaust manifold and a small KKK turbo and get a flange welded to the manifold by a shop specializing in turbo work. Then you need a downpipe to mate back to the can(s) and an inlet pipe to route the compressed air to the intake. Toss in a filter for the turbo inlet and the plumbing is done. Not simple to solve some of those areas, but do-able.

Now you need to manage spark timing and fuel delivery. A simple rising rate aux. fuel pressure regulator might do for a start on th epre-'06 bikes, though not spiffy high tech.

I haven't groked the bike's system, but it probably uses a MAP sensor for air flow sensing, which may lend itself to boost, or replacement with a sensor capable of signaling for boost. This may allow the stock system to deal with a low boost turbo addition and send more fuel based on the increase in air flow/pressure. The stock injectors will likely handle more fuel delivery. Alternatively, a piggyback ECU to manage fuel and timing is not that hard and several potential candidates are available. Link, Tech III, etc. Stuffing them into the tight quarters may be the bigger problem.

I like power as much as the next guy, and have done a bunch of turbo system work on cars, but just don't see the idea of a turbo FJR as very appealing. Throttle induced oversteer in a turbo car is fun, and predictable in the right circumstances, but on a bike it might be a handfull.

Oh, and full use of the speedo has more to do with gearing than power I suspect. ;)

I want a turbocharged and supercharged FJR that puts out 250+ horsepower, has traction control, has stickier tires than Avons, but still gets 15,000 miles on the rear. I want all of this and get over 50 mpg on regular gas and make it so that I only have to service it every 100,000 miles. The bike should corner better than an R1, but still be able to run the desert like a KTM 990 Adventure.

There needs to be a thermostatic control for the tank heat and a refrigerated cup holder capable of a 64 oz. Big Gulp.

Color isn't that important.....as long as it's the right hue of red. And since it will be a touring bike my insurance should be less than $100 a year for full coverage.

Oh yeah, and make it cost only $9999.

......I also like cheese.

I want a turbocharged and supercharged FJR that puts out 250+ horsepower, has traction control, has stickier tires than Avons, but still gets 15,000 miles on the rear. I want all of this and get over 50 mpg on regular gas and make it so that I only have to service it every 100,000 miles. The bike should corner better than an R1, but still be able to run the desert like a KTM 990 Adventure.
There needs to be a thermostatic control for the tank heat and a refrigerated cup holder capable of a 64 oz. Big Gulp.

Color isn't that important.....as long as it's the right hue of red. And since it will be a touring bike my insurance should be less than $100 a year for full coverage.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Except for the KTM & $9999 parts you just described a turbo Miata.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Except for the KTM & $9999 parts you just described a turbo Miata.
And now that you can buy the Smarts starting in '08 are you planning your blown version now? :dntknw:

Think Landry or Kneebone will let me ride a Miata in the Butt under the "Hapless and Pointless" class?

And now that you can buy the Smarts starting in '08 are you planning your blown version now? :dntknw:
The diesel TDI versions are all turbocharged. Yes, I'd love to buy one ASAP. We will probably get stuck with only gas versions though. I'd really like a 3 liter commutor. (as in 3 liters of fuel to go 100 kms.) Nothing like that here now.

And Iggy, No, I don't think LL and MK will let you run a Miata in the 'butt. Not even if you take the heater out and promise not to use the top. :lol: Besides, you'd kick serious butt that way. ;) Remember, it's about the bonus notes. Pretty soon we'll be up to the Zulaski standards of missinformation for the IBR. :lol:

Some of yall are making light of the post but here are some links to shed light on actually applications. I just can't find one for a FJR.

https://www.mrturbo.com/kit.html

https://www.stedmanmotorsports.com/

https://www.turbotecusa.com/

https://www.mrturbo.com/kit_vulcan.htm

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm

https://www.motorcyclebg.com/listing.cfm?ty...ctg=MTC-144-000

https://www.drturbo.com/turbokits.html

If turbos can be made for some of these bikes....Why not one for the FJR. Some folks want to be comedians and make jokes but others are serious. Just a couple links for some serious bikers. I've tried shifting the FJR-AE at 100 RPM incriments from 7500 RPM to 9500 RPM to seek the maximum deliver from the stock setup. 40 to 60 more rear wheel horsepower just sounds sweet to me. I'm not looking for drag racing type acceleration as much as a higher top end with a smoothe delivery. Drivablity would be maintained until demanded.

A thought was inspired from mention in another post. What is the feasibility of turbo charging a FJR? Are there any turbo kits out there that can be modified to work with the JFR? Just how much power can be gained keeping reasonable reliability?How controllable would the power delivery be on a FJR-AE compared to the FJR-A?
Just a few thoughts and questions that came to my mind. WHAT IF?????
If you want the answer to these questions you're going to have to break new ground yourself and just do it. You won't find a ready made FJR turbo kit because the demand isn't there to justify the R&D time. If you supply the demand to one of the vendors, perhaps they will make a kit using your FJR as a test bed. That's the minimum you can expect for being the first.

The engine isn't designed for turbocharging, so how much power means how much boost can you safely run? That depends. If you're willing to replace the pistons with lower compression ones, you can run a lot more boost safely. If you just want to bolt the kit on and party, then lower boost, and lower Hp figures. Lower being relative to the stock 145 crank Hp. 50-70% is pretty common for gains on low boost systems for 4 cyl. car applications.

As to a kit that can be modified to the FJR, you'd need to check the exhaust port spacing on an R-1 to find out. That's the closest and most likely other bike that might have a kit available. The exhaust manifold to mount the turbo is one of the more expensive items and the one that you don't want cheesed up.

You asked: "How controllable would the power delivery be on a FJR-AE compared to the FJR-A?"

jeeze guy, we barely have AEs out here riding. No one is going to know that answer for sure. The clutches might be essentially the same in holding force, so no real difference, (maybe). What the electronic shifting under boost will be like is hard to say. If it will handle a full throttle shift now, it might be fine with boost, or the computer's shift might snap the throttle closed, cause a boost pulse backpressure wave and blow the intake pipe loose from a hose. It will have to be done to find out.

If you want one, start contacting the vendors close to you and see if they are willing to tackle it, or order the universal kit and go to town.

Well I am not the handiest guy with a welding torch, plus I would not even know what to R in the R&D. but If someone offered a bolt on turbo system for under $4000.00 they would have my visa number in way under 10 seconds. But on the other hand If they made the busa with Fjr ergos, hard bags, adjustable windscreen, comfy seat etc.. I would prob. go and buy one of those.......but 160hp would get boring and I would be bolting on a turbo on that too.