ABS sensor housing screwed?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy

Reaction score
ok...

i finally get home

i want to ride this weekend... it's been too long

i drop the front and rear wheels and shoe on new PR2s

i'm installing the front and doing two step torque tightens on everything.

everything is going just fine until i put the ABS sensor back into the housing

everything i've read says 22ft/lbs... which instinctively seems high to me as the pinch bolts list 17ft/lbs and they have alot more meat...

https://www.bestbits.org/fjr1300_tire_change.htm

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=19

well, you guessed it...

apparently 22 is too much.

now i'm FKD...

i need input here...

anyone know the part #???

i'm already trying to find a new disk somewhere in the region...

this bike is a 2010 with only 7k miles on it, i bought it new.

i can't believe i've screwed it up on the day before a group ride i've been looking forward to for MONTHS

Last edited by a moderator:
Doh...

You didn't post of photo of how bad it is. Can you drill it out and fix it with a thread repair kit or helicoil?

I don't think it would take much to keep the sensor in the disk.

I have seen the discs come and go on ebay from time to time.

-MD

Hey Some,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. What happened, did the threads strip, did the bolt break, what?

Dumb question, but can ya get away with leaving the ABS sensor off just for now, enjoy your ride, and then fix it later when ya got time?

Gary

darksider #44

none of the dealers can even see it on their fiche...

i can't find it either

i guess i can try a heli.... i'd prefer a timesert, but not sure they can be found in this town.

not sure about riding without...

I would think you could wrap up the sensor in a plastic bag, and zip tie it up out of the way.

Just know you don't have any ABS.

Rear Wheel: 3P6-2537A-00-00 HOUSING, SENSOR REAR

Front Wheel: 3P6-2517A-00-00 HOUSING, SENSOR FRONT

You didn't specify which one it was, or if you did I missed it.

-MD

Front Wheel: 3P6-2517A-00-00 HOUSING, SENSOR FRONT

i think thats the one i need... front wheel.

i see the sensor and the button head bolt

once again, you guys rock. always.

now i just gotta find one close :)

Blue or nothing. That bolt needs to be removed every time you change the wheels. Also, you can easily match the length and thread of that bolt at the local hardware store, and use something stronger, like stainless steel.

Just my guess, but I doubt he stripped the bolt, probably likely the sensor housing which is aluminum?

-MD

Yep. Bolt is fine. Housing stripped. Have a heli kit and will cripple on it till I get a new housing in. This was a spendy lesson. But I'm smarter now.

Why, oh why, do people insist on using a torque wrench on little tiddly parts like this where no torque wrench is needed? :huh:

I'm not making fun of you, someguy. I'm just hoping that some other folks might learn something from your little mistake. More threads have been stripped due to (improper) use of torque wrenches, than from not using torque wrenches. There are places to use them, and others where common sense says that you really shouldn't.

No! You do not need to put locktite (of any color) on that stupid littlke bolt. Just snug it up to a reasonable tightness (Good 'n Tight works) and let it be. That sensor gets removed every time you change a front tire or otherwise pull off the wheel. Which is a whole lot. You'll be checking it pretty often, whether you want to or not.

And consider this: What do you think would happen if that bolt were to somehow loosen up and fall out? I would say: Most likely nothing!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok...

so, the helicoil kit worked beautifully...

and the new ABS sensor housing is on the way. nearly $200 wiser now... $150 housing plus $40 for the helicoil kit.

I appreciate all the input here...

Fred, I totally agree... this thing needs no torque wrench and if one must, the manual is terribly unclear but seems to point to 5.8ft/lb.

this was my first time pulling wheels on this bike and i was following exactly several much more experienced guys directions...

https://www.bestbits.org/fjr1300_tire_change.htm

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=34

I have sent a short note to both of them about my discovery, hoping that perhaps others will be spared...

all other details of the tutorials were excellent and made the job very simple.

at any rate, here's to a bit of wisdom painfully learned.

-someguy-

IMHO you don't need a timesert or a helicoil for this, just pick up a cheap tap & dye set from a place like HF and tap it to the next size up, it should be a walk in the park, given this is soft aluminum...

The later Gen II's have a different ABS system than '06-07. This sensor bolt was changed to a smaller one with a smaller hex (4 mm I believe) on the newer models, however the torque spec probably wasn't revised in the FSM. No surprise if you used 22 ft.lbs. on it. Good 'n Tight is good enough, especially if you used a drop of blue.

5mm hex on the 2010.

and i'm snuggin it up with index marks. that's it.

no locktite.

FredW is correct. if this thing drops out, the worse thing that can happen is your ABS light will go on. you will still have fully functional brakes.

IMHO you don't need a timesert or a helicoil for this, just pick up a cheap tap & dye set from a place like HF and tap it to the next size up, it should be a walk in the park, given this is soft aluminum...
+1. I've done this sooo many times with aluminum. Drill it for the next size, retap and you're done. Lot cheaper than a helicoil.

Gary

darksider #44