NERDS 2012 Tech-Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRed

Reaction score
NERDS 2012 is fast approaching. Once again, we're planning to hold a "Tech-Day" on the day before NERDS (Wednesday, August 15th) at my house in Waterbury, VT. So far, about 35 people have indicated they're planning to stop by. All are welcome, so don't feel like you can't show up just because you didn't say you were going to or don't think you'll know anybody.

Last year, we did a few Throttle-body syncs, swapped out a CCT, changed some oil, and did a few other minor adjustments and fiddlin around.

So, what's on everyone mind for this year's Tech-Day?

I've got plenty of tools and the stuff to do most of the basic tasks. TBS, Change Oil, Tires, Fork Seals, etc. Some people last year expressed interest in doing a valve check. I'm not sure I'd want to tear that much of my engine apart right before 3 days of planned riding, but if anybody's up for it, (and knows how to do it) we can give it a try. I've replaced the roller bearings in the rear suspension dogbone. It's a pain in the ass, but doable in a day (if you have all new bearings/seals in hand before we start)

If you're planning on doing anything that requires parts, you can have them shipped here and I'll hold them for you.

My house is about 10 miles from the hotel and it's not too hard to find. There'll be directions available at the hotel, or if you plan on coming directly here on Wednesday, PM me and I'll email you the address and directions.

Ed.

We will be arriving at Tech Dar sometime between 12:00 and 2:00; I will pick up on things and help progress or provide 101 in some areas of wrenching. I can do a DMM and basic electricity class if there is any interest.

I'm going to try and get there for Tech Day as I'd like to see someone else do the TBS. My attempts have not been that impressive.

I'll bring my CarbTune if it looks like I'll be there in time. Thanks for hosting this Ed.

Thank's Ed for again, being the host of tech day (along with all your crazy skills with NERDS THaPS) I have lg amount of the HD asphalt high temp wire loom and assorted electrical items that I could donate if someone needs to wire up farkles. bluejag

I'm sure I'll be around too. If anyone wants to submit their bike to my Definitely Completely Unauthorized Throttle Body Sync" we can so that.

Can't be any worse than Ross' CCT changeout last year! :p (I didn't do it, so don't blame me!)

I'm sure I'll be around too. If anyone wants to submit their bike to my Definitely Completely Unauthorized Throttle Body Sync" we can so that.

Can't be any worse than Ross' CCT changeout last year! :p (I didn't do it, so don't blame me!)
Hell yes, After seeing you make an FJR run for miles on nothing but fumes I have no problem with you using my bike for the demo.

See you on Tech Day, Dave

I was involved with that which is why I'm hiding out in the Alps this year so I can't get thrown under the bus again. In the end it had nothing to do with the CCT change and given that the bike had problems before it even showed up at the Tech Day I never thought the CCT change was the problem but some folks thought different.

Paul will probably be at tech day to pick up a few bits of knowledge. I'll be back at the hotel doing a chain maintenance demonstration if anyone's interested! :p

...given that the bike had problems before it even showed up at the Tech Day I never thought the CCT change was the problem...
Perhaps that should be a requirement for all tech day folks? Your bike needs to be running reasonably well before we start. :unsure:

I'll be back at the hotel doing a chain maintenance demonstration if anyone's interested! :p
:lol: Always a big hit with the FJR crowd! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was involved with that which is why I'm hiding out in the Alps this year so I can't get thrown under the bus again. In the end it had nothing to do with the CCT change and given that the bike had problems before it even showed up at the Tech Day I never thought the CCT change was the problem but some folks thought different.
Yeah, it was not running very well before the CCT - issues after running in the rain but was improving. After the CCT, I was thinking we had buggered up the cam timing despite all precautions. Subsequent cam timing check showed that it was done correctly. We actually did manage to pinch an O2 sensor wire between the engine and the oil pump cover which caused further running issues. (I think I was responsible for that, but I'm not sure) In any case, Yamafitter wasn't to blame. When I got home, it took me a week or so to get it all figured out; didn't find the pinched wire until I had it apart to check the cam timing (and do a valve check at the same time).

I agree that a Tech Day can't deal with a lot of unknown problems. Also, too many sets of hands working on one thing will almost guarantee that something gets missed or otherwise screwed up - "I thought YOU remembered to torque the rear wheel". I think that a valve check might be a bit too much; too many things could end up taking a lot more hours than anticipated!

The Tech Day is a great opportunity to hang out with the guys, learn something about the bike, and get some stuff done. Even though I don't think I'm going to do anything to my bike, I'll probably drop by and hang out for a couple of hours.

Ross

For anyone who is interested, I can demonstrate how an FJR can run fine for a thousand miles without having the positive battery cable secured to the battery.

I can do a DMM and basic electricity class if there is any interest.
Now THAT is something everyone should be clamoring for!

Maybe I should ride non-stop to NERDS, watch Prof IonBeam, then ride non-stop home?

(Wish I could be there)

We might want to keep some of these "class" type things in our back pockets, just in case there are any less than spectacular weather days during the week? :unsure:

I'm in as I need to rotate the air in my tires and change the water in my carbs..I could also assist anyone who wants to let the smoke out of any wiring problems ;)

We might want to keep some of these "class" type things in our back pockets, just in case there are any less than spectacular weather days during the week? :unsure:
So, are ya tuning up your GPS 101 course should we have an incident where it excessively pelts cats 'n dogs?

Bust, we don't rotate our air in New England, we always use seasonal air so the tires maintain proper inflation and wear evenly. We will still be running summer air during NERDs, but will be changing over to fall air for EOM. Everyone is using all-season blinker fluid so there will be no need to service that, plus it is considered a hazardous waste and needs special disposal.

I'm in as I need to rotate the air in my tires and change the water in my carbs..I could also assist anyone who wants to let the smoke out of any wiring problems ;)
C'mon, Bust, everyone knows that's the easy stuff. Real technical know-how is getting the smoke back into the wiring, but even Alan and I just take the easy way out the odd time and replace the offending wire. Our preference though is preventing it from escaping in the first place.

PS - Looks like my plans are such that I won't make tech day... most likely see y'all at hotel central.

Outta curiosity, is anyone gonna be there who is familiar with the Audiovox cruise control? Since we did the valve check at Tech Day ... uh .... was that #2? ... my CC has been slower than snot to engage. I think Ray was thinkin' that it could be that little chain-ish-looking mahoogy down in there somewhere under the tank (I think Hobbits and elves are under there, too).

I'd kinda like to get that fixed, especially since it seems like my right wrist / thumb start hurting like a mofo after a while and it'd be nice to use the CC more.

Outta curiosity, is anyone gonna be there who is familiar with the Audiovox cruise control?...
More 'n one. You need to find out what Fred W drinks, I'm easy, there just needs to be ethanol in it. Last time I visited with FJRed we troubleshot his AVCC and it turns out that Ed is a good troubleshooter too. We ended up with his cruise servo disassembled and tracked his failure down to a bad vacuum solenoid. A little disassemble of the solenoid shows that it was doomed to fail because of an assembly error at the factory. So, bring it on.

Edit to add: I see Fred types 2 minutes faster than I do.