burned fjr 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer157

Reaction score
fjrburnbike001.jpg

fjrburnbike012.jpg

I received this bike from a very good friend. I am now riding this bike. The second pic is as she is today. Thanks Larry!

fjr1300003.jpg

It took almost a year and lots of parts from ebay, about $3000 worth, to bring her back to life. She is't 100% yet, but will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ever get into the MC detailing business, please PM me with your number. Awesome job you did there. Could you give me some more details on the restoration?

Wow. B)

If you ever get into the MC detailing business, please PM me with your number. Awesome job you did there. Could you give me some more details on the restoration?
Wow. B)
Well when I first got her from the burned out garage I had to use a sawzall to cut the burned plastic from what was left. I had worked on that bike with her original owner since it was new. I loved the bike and had always wanted one. At first I didn't think she was worth saving. The thing that made me change my mind was how the plastic had protected so much of the metal. The only way I was able to do the project was because of EBAY. When I looked on that sight I thought maybe this will be possible. My friend Larry and I spent alot of hours cleaning and painting the forks rear sub frame tripple trees ect. The used plastic part literally came from all over the country. The only new parts came from University Motors, the wireing harnesses and tires. The tank ,seats, fairing pieces, side covers instruments etc. are all from different FJR's. The toughfest part to the whole project was not having taken a FJR completely apart and haveing to go to BIKEBANDIT.com to look at parts pictures see where things belonged. I am still looking for some locks for my bags and a couple of panels in the console area. I just got a heat fix kit from EBAY and look forward to cooler thighs. This is one bike I will never sell.

fjrburnbike001.jpg
I received this bike from a very good friend. I am now riding this bike. The second pic is as she is today. Thanks Larry!

fjr1300003.jpg

It took almost a year and lots of parts from ebay, about $3000 worth, to bring her back to life. She is't 100% yet, but will be.
That is awesome work, it's almost unbelievable! Yamaha reallly needs to know about you.

I can't help but to wonder what the rider looked like. I hope he's fine....

Wow! Quite an accomplishment. Well done. That FJR will be something you should be proud of for a very long time. Not just a bunch of metal and plastic there. Obviously a lot more has gone into that FJR.

OUTSTANDING!

I would keep a pic of the roasted one on me whenever I rode, talk about a conversation starter!

..does this automatically qualify you as a certified Yamaha tech? :)

racer157, I know from personal experience just how much effort it takes to do something like this. I am IMPRESSED. :yahoo:

You mention about 3K in parts - did you happen to track your hours? If you're married, you owe the SO a really nice dinner for putting up with your absences. ;)

Thats beautiful. I have nothing but respect for that kind of ability and tenacity. I certainly never would attempt it. The bag locks can be had from Yamaha and I believe that at this website or at FJRTEC.com there is a demonstration with photos showing how to match them to your ignition key. Some searching should turn it up. I would take a look around but I have to get to work. Really great job.

Wow

Where is Kelseyville anyway?

For someone mechanically challenged such as myself, I can't believe you did all that. I'm truly amazed.

Did the engine require any mechanical work or just cosmetic stuff?

Glenn

Hey! I just noticed - you're missing the painted windshield "W" gasket that helps hold the windscreen in place. Interesting look. Do you plan on keeping it off? I might be concerned with too much stress at each individual mounting hole without it. Or maybe it is purely cosmetic.

Incredible job. It almost look like you got the before and after pictures reversed. You must posses a great amount of patience, a quality I wish I had. Great Job.

If it wasn't for the black(ened) engine I'd almost have to call the BS flag. You did an awsome job sir. I hope you documented the rebuild w/ lots of pictures, I'd love to see it up on a website.

Josh

Hey! I just noticed - you're missing the painted windshield "W" gasket that helps hold the windscreen in place. Interesting look. Do you plan on keeping it off? I might be concerned with too much stress at each individual mounting hole without it. Or maybe it is purely cosmetic.
I just installed that part yesturday.

Very nice job :good: ....you really should be proud of accomplishment, & definitely deserve the praise of a job well done :eek:k: ......

Last edited by a moderator: