Audiovox cc with brake light accessories

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted before, so hopefully someone will find it useful. Just finished installing the audiovox cc, but wanted to keep the option of installing brighter LED tailights and a backoff module. This is a notorious issue with the cc, but by pirating the ideas from valkyrie website (its OK, he pirated his idea) I pieced a solution together.

You need two relays. The first relay is to ground the cc as explained nicely on the valkyrie website. This will allow you to replace the stock tailamps with LEDs. The second relay is to power other brakelight accessories such as a backoff.

Note: my backoff is wired to the lights in my trunk, not the stock tailights. To wire the backoff to the stock tailights you would have to wire the backoff to the second relay then wire the lights to the backoff.

The trick is that the second relay has to be isolated from the first with a diode, otherwise you will have that no good positive voltage on the purple wire with no brakes depressed! This means that the tap into the brake light wire will have to split to go to the two relays.

The wiring diagram looks like this:

relay5_diag1.gif

I installed the two relays under the tool tray on my '06:

P2170169.jpg

The large coil of red wire is the positive lead from post 87 on the second relay for the backoff module and other brake light accessories.

Final Note: If all was right with the world then post 87 on the first relay (to ground the cruise control) would have power to it when the brakes are engaged. Don't even think about it, I screwed around with all different kinds of permutations of wiring and diodes trying to get juice from that post to power the backoff module. Whenever you hook ANYTHING to that post you end up with voltage on the purple wire while no brakes are engaged, which is no good. Hence the second relay. Perhaps a sparky would be kind enough to explain, took a lot of hours to come up with this combo ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, I hadn't thought about this since I got it working, but it seems to me the second relay is not necessary. I won't go through the convoluted sequence of steps that got me to a second relay, but I doubt its necessary.

Ya know, I hadn't thought about this since I got it working, but it seems to me the second relay is not necessary. I won't go through the convoluted sequence of steps that got me to a second relay, but I doubt its necessary.

Yep I did it with one relay.

30 to the purple wire

87a to ground

87 to fused B+

85 to wire from rear brake light switch out

86 to ground

Works great and no effect on the tail lights :good:

Wow, very cool. How would you modify this circuit so I can run my Kissan blinking replacement bulbs? After Smitty installed my cruise, we had to put the stock bulbs back in. I really liked the Kissan solution. For those not familiar, the Kissans are brighter and blink. They are a plug in solution, but were not compatable with the AudioVox Cruise.

Wow, very cool. How would you modify this circuit so I can run my Kissan blinking replacement bulbs? After Smitty installed my cruise, we had to put the stock bulbs back in. I really liked the Kissan solution. For those not familiar, the Kissans are brighter and blink. They are a plug in solution, but were not compatable with the AudioVox Cruise.
Why is that I wonder? Do you have the latest ABS-specific Kisan plug-n-play units?

Edited to add pics:

Generally the problem with replacement bulbs is that they are a lower resistance. The purple wire from the cruise actually has a small current from the cc to check to see if your bulbs are working properly, lower resistance bulbs do not play well with this circuit.

If you are just changing the bulbs you only need the first relay, its even easier:

relay5_diag1-1.gif

The second tap into the brake on my original diagram was to power other brake accessories. You want those electrically isolated from purple wire, hence the diode.

Why is that I wonder? Do you have the latest ABS-specific Kisan plug-n-play units?
Yes, they are the $100, new ones that are now going back into my bike.

Edited to add pics:Generally the problem with replacement bulbs is that they are a lower resistance. The purple wire from the cruise actually has a small current from the cc to check to see if your bulbs are working properly, lower resistance bulbs do not play well with this circuit.

If you are just changing the bulbs you only need the first relay, its even easier:

relay5_diag1-1.gif

The second tap into the brake on my original diagram was to power other brake accessories. You want those electrically isolated from purple wire, hence the diode.

V65,

Thanks. I really appreciate the prompt reply and nice drawing.

Barry

That's why I'm confused. I thought the replacement bulbs had to be of equal resistance to standard bulbs in order to fool the ABS too.

That's why I'm confused. I thought the replacement bulbs had to be of equal resistance to standard bulbs in order to fool the ABS too.
I don't think thats true for the FJR, only because I believe others have installed lower resistance LED's without trouble as long as know cruise.