Yet another HID experiment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwhd

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to trying the H4 Bi-Xenon kits that I've used to great success in the past on my '06 FJR.

These are the type that use a single HID capsule to be both the low and high beam by physically re-positioning it within the headlight housing using a servo.

Unlike the butterfly type, these have actually worked very well for me in the past because the "hot spot" of the HID is placed exactly where the H4 filaments are in the housing. I've used these in offroad and street applications and the servos have been bulletproof.

I'll post pics as things develop (good or bad).

Good man!!!! These are the ones I cannot understand people haven't used since the beginning. That shutter thing is the most moronic idea I had ever heard - no wonder it didn't work.

Please post pictures and lots of details. I know this will work and set the forum scrambling to get HID once again.

Do you have the Xetronic units? Are they the new "digital" units (WTF that means) with the ignitor and ballast in one unit?

Can't wait to hear results!

-BD

latest info please !
OK, the units arrived from HKG (via DHL express) yesterday. Initial inspection is very positive (pics will be posted of the kit tonight).

Before ripping the bike apart to install these, I'm going to bench test them to verify that the telescoping bases work as advertised since this kit is different from any I've used previously.

The ballasts and other components look to be of very high quality. Especially hard to believe given the $129 price!

I installed a telescopic HID Hi/Lo in the KLR two days ago similar to what is described here.

Initial impression of riding in the dark home from a meeting last evening was good, with way-better-than-stock output.

I trimmed the shield a little, maybe 1/8th of an inch, since the fore/aft movement didn't clear the window for the light to shine through on Hi from the assembler. Probably just a build tolerance shortcoming.

The light does change from Hi to Lo instantaneously, and the beam pattern does change noticeably, but not drastically.

For $120, I'm happy.

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
How long are the HT leads? they look short in the ebay pictures.
Chris
Only about 12" from the ballast and 6" from the bulb servo so a total of 18" which ain't enough to put them under the seat :angry2:

This is unfortunate because as WC pointed out months ago, the Gen II bikes have ZERO free space up front for the ballasts.

I spent 3 hours last night trying to fit the right side ballast into the bike. Now granted, I've not pulled off the front fairing, only the left and right but I don't see anywhere to put the ballast not already identified by WC or others.

Since I don't want to give up the glove box nor cut the front center vent to pieces, I intend to sandwich them between the bottom of the headlight housing and the chin fairing. The challenges with that spot are securing them in place and heat.

Securing them I can manage. They came with metal support brackets that can be modified to work (I think) but I'm not sure if the ballasts put off too much heat for that location.

On other bikes, I've placed the ballasts on top of plastic headlight housings without issue (the aftermarket units in my Tahoe are done that way too) but in those applications, at least one side of the ballast was exposed to the air. Here they would be at least partially touching plastic on both sides.

Thoughts?

More info:

I test fit one of the bulbs last night. It fits perfectly with ample room for the servos that move the bulb fore/aft.

You have to slightly disassemble the bulb/servo housing to fit the OEM rubber cover around the servo. No big deal at all.

If I can just get the ballasts in the bike, I'm home free.

Picture of the kit:

H4_HiLo_Kit.JPG

BMWHD, after seeing the pictures I'll predict that they'll have great high beam performance, but you'll lose the sharp cutoff on low beams.

jim

BMWHD, after seeing the pictures I'll predict that they'll have great high beam performance, but you'll lose the sharp cutoff on low beams.jim
Well, we'll see tonight. I finally got them all installed.

I can tell you by looking at them in the garage, the cut off looks identical to the OEM H4s.