2008 FZ1 TE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahlr

Reaction score
I was on the Yamaha Canada site and spied the 2008 FZ1 TE (touring edition) It comes w/ the FJR factory color matched bags, larger windshield and color matched lowers. Looks like a baby FJR. Of course not listed for sale in USA, but sweet none the less.

Oh look, Daddy! It comes with the C14 exhaust! :rofl:

edit: Dammitt...looks like MamaYamaCa won't allow offsite image linking. :angry:

2008_FZ1TE_Blue_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha USA didn't bring this here supposedly to differentiate the FZ farther from the FJ. Many Gen 1 owners of FZ's have converted their bikes to sport tourers. The Gen2 FZ is more oriented to the sport side, lighter weight & smaller tank than the Gen1.

I already bought some candles, a case of wine, and an Isaac Hayes cd on loop in my garage. I figure now that its cold out, I'll just leave them to be and have one of these babies in no time!

Unlike our FJRs which look great without the bags, you should see how fugly this thing looks with those Rube Goldberg bag mounts exposed. I love my 2nd Gen FZ1, but I'll carry my stuff in the Corbin Smuggler and forget the sidecases.

Holy afterthoughts, Batman. That thing looks like it was put together by the Legos crowd.
HEY! What's wrong with Legos?! :p

It does look a bit weird. The distance form the end of the exhaust to the bag is a bit worrysome, seems like the exhaust would really heat up the bottom of the bag, no?

But it is a great idea especially for those that complain the FJR is too heavy. Pack up and go to the twisties. Take them off once your there. Seems it would compete in the Ducati ST3 realm, not that those are selling all that well anyway, but..........

I think it looks pretty good. That exhaust has been on the FZ1 for a couple years now long before the C14 came onto scene.

WW

The fairing components and luggage option have been available outside the US for quite a while. I also believe some third party folks have some fairing and luggage options available. as far as the muffler, lots of aftermarket options to get rid of that ugly look.

Very tempting IMO, it is a strong bike and not nearly as fat as the FJR (aprox 150 lbs lighter), much better power to weight ratio, 6 speed ......IMO much easier to wrestle this thing around in the tight stuff.

However, giving up nearly two gallons on the oem tank (however anyone that cares that much is likely going to have an aux tank anyway).

I'll be giving this and other's in it's class a hard look .....this may be a strong trend to come ...sport bike performance with touring capabilities ....without the obese weight of an FJR, ST, Connie etc etc.

5lv-w0712-30-00-500.jpg

pricing etc (clicky)

I already bought some candles, a case of wine, and an Isaac Hayes cd on loop in my garage. I figure now that its cold out, I'll just leave them to be and have one of these babies in no time!
Would that make your Fazer the Bee-yach?

Oh look, Daddy! It comes with the C14 exhaust! :rofl:
edit: Dammitt...looks like MamaYamaCa won't allow offsite image linking. :angry:

2008_FZ1TE_Blue_1.jpg
And after you hacksawed that fugly exhaust off ... I like it. It ain't an FJR, but it's more than an FZ1. I know a guy who has an FZ6 and he laments the loss of saddlebags from his Shadow.

It's like the slightly-less-hot younger sister. She might not get all the attention, but she'll get it done when you need a change ... :D

Forget the fugly exhaust for now...let's concentrate on what's REALLY wrong with the company TE.....the bag placement.

Put it where it belongs!

te.jpg

Looks like everybody wants to get in on this......
5194_1_suzuki.jpg
I saw this exact bike being ridden by a girl - presmibly husband in the lead, on his Triumph, this week in Cali. The Suzuki was HORRIBLE - it was being beaten up by the road, wind was blowing it every which way - looked like the bike was 50% as large as it should have been. Like an elephant riding a tricycle.

I dunno about this exhaust arrangement.... I am sure Yamaha has done sufficient testing ( :rolleyes: ), but I can't help but wonder what the rear half of this hard bag (underside, obviously) will look like after 20K, 40K or 60K miles are put on it.... if there enough "air-stream" occurring between the exhaust outlet and the bottom of the case to prevent a build-up of exhaust soot on the bottom of the bag?
shrug.gif

Latest posts