Scorpio Alarm Mount Location?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Yo peeps,

I just bought a Scorpio 500 alarm with ignition interrupt.

Where does it mount best? Obiously the YAM-7 harness makes it easy to mount this in the back, under the seats.

My question is: where did you mount yours, and how well does it work there? Can the alarm be heard under the seat? Is somehwere inside the fairing better?

I am looking to install it this weekend.

Talk to me, chief!

-BD

Mine is under the seat. I wish it were louder, but I have never moved it to see if that would help or not. I contribute it mostly to the size of the built in siren. Since the remote also goes off on activation, I figure between that and the light flash, all is good.

Another vote for under the seat. Had to stretch the power wire though.... When running over / close to hot stuff, make sure you use IIRC, TEN wire with the 90 C temperature rating. I got extra wire at the local West Marine store. Normal THHN wire is only good for 70 - 75 C.

The sound volume for me at least, seems to be loud enough. When I activate the perimeter sensor, there is plenty of noise when combined with the paging feature. (Of course the pit bull attached to the front wheel helps too! :lol: )

--G

OK, I have found a nice place to mount it: next to my Audiovox servo in my tool tray. But I have 2 more questions, this time related to wiring.

1. I am concerned about the possibility of the +12V from the battery being able to back power the +12V bus on the bike (native fusebox). It would work like this. Normally, when the alarm goes off, it connects +12V from the battery to the lights. No problem. Now, if the hazard switch or the turn signal switch is on, when the alarm applies +12V to the lights, current can flow backwards through either of those switches, into the +12V bus.

Now, this is predicated on the idea that the "hazard flasher" lets current pass through it backwards. I would assume that since it is a two-wire relay, it needs a forward voltage drop across it to power it. In that circumstance, it would never close if the voltage potential were backwards.

Sooooo, the big question is: has anyone left either the hazard light or the turn signal on and used the alarm in a matter where it would flash the lights (normal arm/disarm/alarm function)?? Were there any odd effects? Did anything seem funny, any fuses blow, or somethings light up that shouldn't have?

2. I have the ignition immobilizer, which is really nothing more than a normally open relay. I want to put it near the ECU, since my alarm will be there. If you put it there, where did you connect it? Looking carefully over the schematic, the only practical line to interrupt is the fuel system relay (which is a ground signal). It is the blue with yellow stripe. I like this one because it is clearly closed loop: the fuel relay, when closed, sends a signal back to the ECU.

However, I would like to know where you connected yours.

TIA!

-BD

Sooooo, the big question is: has anyone left either the hazard light or the turn signal on and used the alarm in a matter where it would flash the lights (normal arm/disarm/alarm function)?? Were there any odd effects? Did anything seem funny, any fuses blow, or somethings light up that shouldn't have?
I did, My Boss walked past my FJR and she started by herself and took off! She came back after a couple hours though. I guess she just wanted to get going (FJR's are like that). :haha: :bleh:

Pretty much everything is on a relay so you won't have any problems.

OK, got this installed today.

The factory wire harness (signals, GND, IGNITION) connector was a PITA to dig out, but I managed to get to it and get the connector inserted without taking any plastic off. I connected the battery power to the BACKUP terminal in the fusebox.

The alarm fit perfectly in the tool tray right next to my Audiovox servo. Surprisingly, the sound is very loud under the seat. Hurt my ears in the garage.

I haven't mounted the IGNITION DISABLE relay yet, but I will do that at another time coming up. I didn't get the perimeter sensor, but I probably will and do both upgrades at the same time.

The programmability and the features of this alarm is amazing. I am quite happy with the farkle. Highly recommended.

-BD

Who's got the best deal going on the Scorpio alarm? I thought someone posted once about an ebay seller but I can't find the info. Thanks!

FNG .... do an ebay search for item # 4580951686

This is a current auction from allgeardotnet and this is who I bought mine from. I got excellent customer service, a fair price, and fast shipping. I was 100% pleased with my purchase.

FNG .... do an ebay search for item # 4580951686This is a current auction from allgeardotnet and this is who I bought mine from. I got excellent customer service, a fair price, and fast shipping. I was 100% pleased with my purchase.
thank you sir!

OK fellas. I connected my IGNITION interrupt relay. I scoured the schematic, and found a good location electrically and physically.

Instead of interrupting the fuel pump power or the IGNITION coils, I interrupted the signal from the starter cut off relay.

The BLUE wire with YELLOW strip connected to the starter cut-off relay is the wire. It provides a signal back to the ECU that conditions are OK for the engine to run. When you put the sidestand down, this signal loop through this conductor is broken and tells the ECU to stop the engine. Likewise, with this circuit interrupted the engine won't start or run. I tested it with the alarm activated and it works perfectly.

While this interrupt is engaged, the motor will turn over, but the engine will not start. The fuel is not pumped, and the ignition does not discharge.

This wire is also conveniently located right under the seat, and it allowed for easy location of the relay. Fairly discreet, too.

Hopefully any of you who are installing this unit yourself find this useful.

-BD

OK fellas. I connected my IGNITION interrupt relay. I scoured the schematic, and found a good location electrically and physically.
Instead of interrupting the fuel pump power or the IGNITION coils, I interrupted the signal from the starter cut off relay.

The BLUE wire with YELLOW strip connected to the starter cut-off relay is the wire. It provides a signal back to the ECU that conditions are OK for the engine to run. When you put the sidestand down, this signal loop through this conductor is broken and tells the ECU to stop the engine. Likewise, with this circuit interrupted the engine won't start or run. I tested it with the alarm activated and it works perfectly.

While this interrupt is engaged, the motor will turn over, but the engine will not start. The fuel is not pumped, and the ignition does not discharge.

This wire is also conveniently located right under the seat, and it allowed for easy location of the relay. Fairly discreet, too.

Hopefully any of you who are installing this unit yourself find this useful.

-BD
photos!

^bump.

I'm installing mine and would like a like too. This one is dead. Anybody have instructions/location?

I installed mine under the passenger seat, you know, where that rubber strap is . I was told that I should run the power directly to the battery. Of course a fuse was put in the line.

I tried the antenna link but I couldn't get it to work...

Last edited by a moderator: