Can I have another gear PULEEEASE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRocchio

Reaction score
Well into the triple digits today 100miles!

With 500 more miles to complete the initial break-in I would love to have a 6th gear. :dribble:

Does this issue go away after break in?

It will go away now if you stop adhering to those silly RPM limits for break in. They're designed to keep max sustained power down (which is a good idea), but occasional runs to redline are good for break in, not bad. Just don't hammer on it for any sustained period.

- Mark

I agree with Mark that a balance of Moderate, and Immoderate, use evolving across more of one toward more of the other is a necessity for fully wearing in a modern engine and motorcycle components.

Get the "rough edges" knocked off and worn down quickly -- and get rid of the pieces and slurry by dumping the oil both early and often.

Then get on with Riding.

Think of how YOU would want to be used, considering you are not a Sprinter, but a Hurdler and Miler as well. Wear in that way. Then use that way.

As for a sixth gear, I don't want one. Cruising at or clsoe to 5,000 rpm, I'm right where a twist of the throttle gets me up to 100 and around any traffic real quickly. BMW added a higher sixth gear in the switch from the R1100RT to the R1150RT and turn the bike into a terrible slug out on Fast Routes.

If I had wanted a "touring bike", I would have bought something else. I wanted an all around top performer, and that's what the FJR is. It's overall gearing in top gear is not different from other similar bikes. There's just so much acceleration available, so much more than we are accustomed to in top gear riding, that we are led to believe we're in an intermediate gear. It's just loafing along like other bikes, not wearing itself out at all.

Enjoy.

With 500 more miles to complete the initial break-in I would love to have a 6th gear. :dribble:

No.

Yes.

I would love to have a 6th gear. :dribble:
Nope. None of us have heard of any FJR spontaneously growing a 6th gear after break-in. They pretty much come out of the Yamaha womb with all the gears they are going to get.

You didn't opt for the Hasagi 6 speed cassette tranny? Bad move. The stock 5 speed truly sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
With 500 more miles to complete the initial break-in I would love to have a 6th gear.  :dribble:

Yes.
See, it all depends on how you look at it. I see it as the tranny is 1/6 empty. Skooter sees it as 5/6 full!

Now that my FJR has over 20K on it, it does seem to finally be breaking in and loosening up a bit. Less need for that 6th gear. Can't wait for the new FJR with one less lever. Instead of reaching for another gear at the top end, I'll be reaching into empty space for it all the time. Maybe that thumb and forefinger will keep me out of the grab mode. I doubt it. And my foot will probably still seek that extra gear, too. Of course the gear ratio is a little different, so maybe that will help? :dntknw:

If you mean that you keep on trying to shift into 6th, because your previous bike had a 6th, then you are like everyone else. I got a bad case of "shifter toe" during break-in...and now after 4 months and 4700 miles I still try to shift into 6th every once and a while. The '06 FJR comes with a shift indicator, but it is on that hard to read LCD, so I doubt this will solve the problem. Once you discover the powerband from 4000 RPM to redline you will be less inclined to reach for the 6th gear.

I too would like a 6th gear for more relaxed cruuising revs on long distance trips. I am not a fan of the Yami "solution" of changing the ratio taller on the 06's 5 speed tranny to accomplish it.

Has anyone heard what the new final drive ratio is on the 06? I read it was changed but never heard what the new ratio was.

JS

I remember "searching" for 6th constantly on my '03 FJR. However, given her power it wasn't as bad on her as on the ST1300zzzz or GL1800s I've had.

Maybe my '06 will be better...if it ever gets here...aaaarrggHH, waiting suxx! DFO :eek:

Has anyone heard what the new final drive ratio is on the 06? I read it was changed but never heard what the new ratio was.IIRC, it was changed for purposes other than overall gearing (noise?); so, it is something like one tooth on the intermediate gearbox and it didn't come out, in the end, to be much of a change. Can anyone else help-out here?

Hey Mike,

I think you will get over the "6th gear thing" I did after a few thousand miles. I still don't think its an awful idea though. Mainly to increase range on long rides. Drop the RPM 1000 at 80 miles an hour and range would probly go up to 300. I hate stopping for gas and there is no law says I have to use a 6th gear when I want some cocoa nuts. Is there any chance you are the brand new FJR I pulled up next to on B street in Hayward at 6:00 Monday morning? That was kind of a surprise...

I got over my 6th gear thing but what sealed the deal was comparing to my buddies riding a ST1300, VFR, and a K-RS. Our top-gear same-speed RPM is within about +/- 200 and my roll-on still kicks @ss. So why would I need 6th?

Maybe...

Sometimes I whish this bike had a fifth gear!!! ... Lately I've been finding myself hauling ass in fourth gear quite often... what is that whine? I am only doing 80... And then it hits me... hey, I do have one more gear there somewhere... uh yeah! I've got a fifth!!! :aaevil:

The new '06 will reduce your cruising RPMs by about 100rpm at 70mph. Swap in a Venture pinion to reduce the rear to a 3.33 to 1 ratio and gain 400 or so rpm at 70. Bike will be a little slower in acceleration and roll-ons but your MPG should increase slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, a sixth gear fight. I have seen the light. Don't need no stinking 6th.

Memorize your RPM at speeds.

I think at 50 mph in 5th you are pegged at 3000.

50! Who can do 50?

I guess that I'm stuck with the 5 speed. I think it might grow on me but keeping it under 70 on the freeway for break-in is KILLING me....hell cars are passing me :bigeyes: ... That NEVER happened on my YZF!

I couldn't agree more on hating stopping for gas, and no just because you have it does NOT mean you have to use it! B)

Waaane, Small world, that was me.