Can I have another gear PULEEEASE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your engine redlines at 9k. Don't be afraid to use more engine speed - you'll go faster, too!!

This bike does NOT need a sixth.

I would imagine you are upshifting at 3k rpm. That's a shame, because max acceleration will happen at around 6500 rpm.

-BD

I broke mine in nice and easy and was fishing for 6th a lot the first couple thousand miles. I still nudge up on the lever once in a while to make sure I'm in top gear but not as often as I used to. Now that the bike is broken in, and more importantly, I have learned how to ride it safely, I find myself keeping the RPM above 4k most of the time. I am happy with the gear ratios as they are. That said, A 6th gear for long highway cruising would not hurt anything. I'd rather have an additional tall gear than have them raise the ratio on the existing gears as they have done with the '06.

Last edited by a moderator:
geezer's experience is very similar to my experience. But you do get used to only 5, and you can still do the miles in comfort on this bike.

an old geezer ;)

[That said, A 6th gear for long highway cruising would not hurt anything. I'd rather have an additional tall gear than have them raise the ratio on the existing gears as they have done with the '06.]

Well put.

Hey mike. Gimme a yell some time if you wanna go for a ride. Being an ex sport bike guy you may well be way faster then I but I will catch up sooner or later.

In order to get a sixth gear in the present transmission, if even possible without a total redesign, it would require that the gears that are in there now would have to be made smaller (less wide) so they would still fit. With the torque this engine provides, and the current performance at hand, I think I would like to keep the beefiest gears that I could get, i.e. a five speed. JMO

The only reason I would want a 6th gear would be if it were an overdrive. It seems as though a lot of people have reported the bike gets around 39 mpg highway. I'm sure that number would go up to 45 if you could reduce engine RPM by 25% in OD. Don't get me wrong, when I test drove an 05 prior to ordering my 06 I really loved the bike, it did seem as though she could do with an overdrive on the highway.

Just an opinion.

JS

The only reason I would want a 6th gear would be if it were an overdrive. It seems as though a lot of people have reported the bike gets around 39 mpg highway. I'm sure that number would go up to 45 if you could reduce engine RPM by 25% in OD. Don't get me wrong, when I test drove an 05 prior to ordering my 06 I really loved the bike, it did seem as though she could do with an overdrive on the highway.

Just an opinion.

JS
Actually, many report getting 45-50mpg highway.

Unless you live in the People's Republik of Kali - with their shit gas you won't be seeing that. But that's their problem. :lol:

FYI, 5th gear in the CURRENT FJRs is an overdrive gear already. .92 to 1, IIRC.

Isn't it about time to move the 6th gear discussion to the pointless threads column? Whysome people would rather shift 6 times rather than 5 to get to the same final overdrive ratio is beyond me. Oorrrr, go buy a Concours, they need 6 gears to overcome the less torque produced.

I asked the same question when I first got my 05 FJR.

Now that it has almost 10000 miles I really don't want or need a 6th gear.

For my fun riding 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rip. Fifth gear is great on the hwy, very seldom do I search for that 6th gear anymore.

Also it was at about 8000 miles that I felt the bike was finally broken in. Went a round a corner and grabbed a bunch of throttle and WOOOO BABY hold on. Developed MUCH more power that when it had 4000 miles on the clock.

Rogerc

Gilroy

Isn't it about time to move the 6th gear discussion to the pointless threads column? Whysome people would rather shift 6 times rather than 5 to get to the same final overdrive ratio is beyond me. Oorrrr, go buy a Concours, they need 6 gears to overcome the less torque produced.
yes

Isn't it about time to move the 6th gear discussion  to the pointless threads column?  Whysome people would rather shift 6 times rather than 5 to get to the same final overdrive ratio is beyond me. Oorrrr, go buy a Concours, they need 6 gears to overcome the less torque produced.
yes
THANK YOU!

If I am above 35@2g's, 50@3g's, or on 70@4g's, I know I am in 5th gear. Fortunately I've never owned a bike with 6 speeds so I don't miss another gear.

You didn't opt for the Hasagi 6 speed cassette tranny?  Bad move.  The stock 5 speed truly sucks.
You know, if someone made a cassette six speed that I could buy for some reasonable price, I'd look really, really hard at that.

I mean, let's be honest. Most farkles the wife can spot, but she'd never notice a new transmission.....

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Just an opinion.

JS
For me it's not the mileage that's an issue, it's just the noise and vibration at my normal 80mph highway cruising speed. If I'm just getting on Interstate 15 and droning down to San Diego, I really don't need her to be turning 5000 or whatever RPM. And if I need to accelerate I can always downshift, though even at low revs the FJR seems to have enough torque to get moving quickly and then much, much more quickly. :haha:

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

FOr me it has been more the way I drive than the gear ratio.

If I change from 1-2-3 etc shifting at low rpms say around 5 thousand when I get to 5th I feel like I need another gear.

If I change gears at higher rpms say 7 or 8 thousand when I get to 5th I don't look for another gear. I don't have an explanation for it but my VStar felt the same way.

The VStar being a VTwin was still a higher rpm motor.

???

It is, after all, a sport-touring bike. I, for one, wouldn't want my engine "put to sleep" at highway speeds. I think there may be other m/c choices for that kind of relaxed touring? Also, lower engine revs may not give more mpg in high gear due to larger throttle openings (depending on the situation?). And, I'd guess many riders already operate their engines in the lower part of the rev range alot of the time -- more of that isn't beneficial (or needed) in a hi-performance engine. jmo