Fuel Economy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRocchio

Reaction score
I know this is bound to go to the endless rant page but it's gotta start somewhere!

I know that there are many factors that play into feul economy, (windscreen position, acceleration rates, Speeds,....) but what are you guys seeing on average?

I saw a post, that was relatively old, where a guy was claiming 47-52MPG!

I just rolled 1100miles and have been averaging 37-38MPG. This is slightly disappointing after coming from a bike that was getting roughly 10MPG better. I know why it was better (600cc vs. 1300cc, 400lb vs. 600lb....) but I was hoping for a little better.

I'm just curious if this milage is around what you guys are seeing.

Worst -- ~40mpg

Best -- ~50mpg

Worst = mostly in-town

Best = 100% long distant, interstate miles

Typical backroad "hooligan" driving = 42-45mpg

From various discussions I've come across on this and other FJR forums, your 1100 miles still isn't completely "broken-in" and you may see a substantial jump in mileage when you past the 5k miles barrier. But, YMMV. :)

I can drive it into the mid- to low-30's if the roads are fast enough and I'm chasing full-on sportbikes. But most of the time it's around 40, and interstate droning can do mid-40's if the speed isn't too high.

Bone-stock engine on a 2005.

- Mark

Disciplined throttle hand cruising at or near 75 mph - 40-41 mpg

Two-laners lolligagging so Harleys even pass me - 44 mpg

Severe helmet fire getting to, through, or away from Nevada - 36 mpg

Other variables include oxygenated fuels. Seem to see a 5-10% reduction in mileage.

Amount of luggage carrying

.....moving thread now ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A qualification....this is using California gas, or the swill that they call gasoline:

Best 42.4

Worst 31.9

Average 36.9

Mostly backroad thrashing, not enough highway miles.

Using the bike as a commuter here in Atlanta traffic, I still average between 42-44MPG. This will drop some (around 40) if stuck in really heavy stuff and sitting at idle for long periods watching the temp gauge flip between 3 and 4 bars but that's a different story.....

BULL

I typically get between 39 and 50 m/g depending of what kind of riding I'm engaged in. :D

The higher m/g are achieved at lower speeds (55 to 70) and in higher elevations.

And the quality of gas (the Cal. crap) :bigeyes: can make a differance as well.

Yup, Mike, that's the way it is in California with the "gasohol" they sell as a petroleum fuel. As stated, count on 10% reduction from what other states post. I average about 40 mpg. On trips whre we are in "Touring Mode", I can get 42-44, but commute traffic will drop it to 38mpg in a heart beat.

On the way to Moscow ID last year, on Nevada gas, one leg of the journey netted 50mpg, just to show that the mileage others say they are getting with decent gasoline is possible.

Aaaaand, it will improve after 5K or so.

I ride an 04 and live in Central California. My experience is:

With 8000 miles of the bike, 3200 mile trip to Big Bend, Texas, average 43.7 MPG

With 17,000 miles on the bike, 550 mile Southern Cal trip, average 49.3 MPG

With 20,000 miles on the bike, 2800 mile trip to SW-FOG, average 50.4 MGP

With 25,000 miles on the bike, 5000 mile Canada trip, average 47.7 MPG

With 26,000 miles on the bike, 850 mile Death Valley trip, 47.6 MPG

Highest individual tank was at the WFO-3 on the run for huckleberry pie where the bike got 64.9 MPG.

Longrider

My fuel efficiency is almost the same as that of RadioHowie. I have had some trips on 65 mph roads that have taken me to near 52 mpg.

When I do the twisties in the Rocky Mountains at a spirited pace, I get 40-42 mpg.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
With 13,500 miles on a 2005, I have never had worse than 45 mpg and typically get into the upper 40's, sometimes I get into the lower 50's. That's with riding moderately to fast.

Hey, where's BrunDog's average mileage? He's gotta be pushing 1700 total miles by now and should have established a good baseline. ;)

best - 2 tanks in NM (no oxyginated fuel, higher alititudes): 52 mp(us)g

usual: 40 mp(us)g

when using good fuel (regular, unoxygenated fuel): 45.