Motoport visit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good write-up! I bought a Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants at WFO '06 year ago.. I've had two crashes wearing the gear.. One at <25 mph in a parking lot... cracked rib, but Motoport wasn't even scratched. Last one, off the road, down an embankment at 55 mph. No pavement involved, but once again Motoport gear was unscathed... Broken bone in foot for me.. Oh, sprained/hyperextended knee. I plan on visiting Wayne and getting something in Stretch Kevlar soon. (and to repair a zipper on my 8 yr old jacket.)

Been wearing the heavy mesh since 06. Have had several changes made to suit the dCarver CBA style.. soft liner sewn to thigh insides on outside of kevlar to prevent tank paint damage. It works great. Don't know why it's not offered as an option. A new pocket on left forearm for SPOT tracker - in case I do an Old Michael down the cliff my SPOT be with me. External leg flap removed from zippers; no more binding. New zippers in 14.

Very satisfied. I ride nearly every day. As was observed by a NERD rider in Vermont, "JFC, he's worn out the Kevlar on his ASS side!"

About this time last year Motoport ran a special: buy mesh Kevlar pants, get the liners at no charge.

What a great coincidence - my old Joe Rocket pants were falling apart.

I made the ride down to Motoport, met Wayne, got the tour, and Wayne helped measure me for the mesh Kevlar pants. (I'd already measured myself using his instructions and found that my normal 34w X 36l pants were "vanity" sized: what the entire clothing industry does. And my actual waist measurement is 40.)

He took a pair "off the rack", had me put them on, and we went out to my FJR. While I sat in the saddle on the center stand, he checked the fit/armor placement in my knee/shin, and agreed that the lower leg needed to be about 2" longer.

He also measured me for a jacket, to be purchased later.

I place the order and asked Wayne to call me when they were ready. I rode down, slipped them on (they fit PERFECTLY) and rode home.

I have worn them with comfort in temps from 36* to 100*, with either long pants or shorts underneath.

Love 'em!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've worn Motoport for the last 3 years. It is good shit. But in the interest of full disclosure their are some negatives. All of which pail in comparison to the positives.
1: The Kevlar is EXTREMELY abrasive. Ya, you know that fancy Russell Day Long. Expect the pants to 'eat' through the seams extremely rapidly. Same to the paint on your tank if your like me and tend to grip the tank with your thighs during 'fun time'. The flip-side if somebody pisses you off, just rub against their car for a minute. That won't buff out!

2: It's heavy as shit! You don't notice it on the bike but walking to a site or into a hotel with your bags. Ya, your gonna work up a sweat. Putting your jacket on the back of chair during a break. It WILL flip the chair backward.

3: The liners do eventually lose their waterproofness. I had to re-treat mine with some 303. AND. They are still liners which are a pain in the ass in certain conditions.

4: It's extremely bulky. Forget about folding it up and stuffing in a top box. Ain't gonna happen. Walking around into a restaurant for a in-transit stop will have people wondering (and this actually happened) 'why are your wearing a snow mobile suit'.
I agree with everything you say. Heavy to walk around in, but not heavy on the bike. Makes you look BIG when wearing it. Another bonus is it would very likley stop a knife in a fight!
unsure.png

Hey guys, just as a matter of curiosity, where the heck is Wayne's shop? 6 years ago, I bought the mesh jacket and liners, but I ordered them, and don't remember where they came from. . . Thanks!

I have a pair of the stretch pants which I love. They are easy to get on and off and I feel very secure when wearing them. I have a tourmaster flex series jacket which pales in quality when compared the Motoport pants. Next on my list is to replace the Tourmaster jacket with a stretch kelvar jacket. As a MD I know how important good gear is.

I’ve got a pair of Motoport Ultra II Kevlar pants that I purchased in Jan. ’04. The pants are all black with Knee and outer thigh armor and I did not buy the waterproof liner. At the time, they cost me $299 plus a $49 Alteration fee for the 38” inseam. Prior to that I just wore jeans because at 6’11” tall, I simply couldn’t find anything off the rack that fit… and I still can’t. I may have looked at the Aerostitch Darien pants but I don’t recall if they were able to fit me back then (I believe they can now). Yes, they did feel heavy at first but the weight and bulk was somewhat comforting and not an issue at all. I wasn’t riding much back then due to the kids being young but about 5 yrs ago, I started commuting regularly rain or shine and I’ve worn the pants almost daily ever since. I’ve treated them with the 303 Fabric guard which makes them somewhat water resistant but my commute is about 45 min max and they still keep me mostly dry. For extended rain riding, I would definitely need the Liner. No crashes in the past 10 yrs and the pants have worn well… top edge (belt area) is a little frayed and both snaps for the front flap have pulled out but that’s it. I’ve washed them a few times with no issue but will definitely send them back to Wayne for those minor repairs at some point. I have no experience with the Motoport jackets and have been using First Gear as their XL-Tall jackets fit me surprisingly well.

Regards,

Mr. BR

Placed my order today , I got the waist cut air mesh jacket and the police air mesh pants, went with the Tri Armor with hip and sacrum and the waterproof liners and a few other options.

4: It's extremely bulky. Forget about folding it up and stuffing in a top box. Ain't gonna happen. Walking around into a restaurant for a in-transit stop will have people wondering (and this actually happened) 'why are your wearing a snow mobile suit'.
If you mean both jacket and pants, I agree. But I am able to get my waist-cut jacket with the Aero-Tex liner and the heated liner into the top box. It takes a little cussing, then more cussing when I remember I left my wallet and phone in the jacket. I put the pants with their Aero-Tex liner in a side case, more cussing.

Th zipper broke on my well worn crash tested stretch Kevlar pants in early December. Called Rob at motoport, shipped the pants if for repair. $5.00 to fix the pants and a quick turn around. Good service!

It was close to $40 for shipping both ways. Don't cha hate when the shipping is the most costly part.

Th zipper broke on my well worn crash tested stretch Kevlar pants in early December. Called Rob at motoport, shipped the pants if for repair. $5.00 to fix the pants and a quick turn around. Good service!
It was close to $40 for shipping both ways. Don't cha hate when the shipping is the most costly part.
You should have just rode.

You should have just rode.
540 miles one way including through Los Angles. Not afraid of the miles but I am allergic to LA
uhoh.gif

Lucky day - my stretch Kevlar jean-style pants were dropped off by UPS, just hours after they delivered my KTM seat. My favorite Xmas moto gifts are the ones I buy myself!

I had ordered these in late Oct, so delivery was exactly 9 weeks later, as promised. I had forgotten the details of my order, and was surprised the pants contained hip pads and sacrum armor until I remembered I had discussed these. Also ordered the optional suspenders per Wayne's recommendation. They attach with Velcro, so easily removed, but they do a great job at eliminating plumber butt-crack when you're riding with a shorter cut GP style jacket. The jean pant style has belt loops, though I don't know why as I wouldn't be wearing a belt with them. Maybe Motoport makes a stylish Kevlar belt?

The fit was spot on: waist, length, and inseam were perfect, and the quad armor wasn't nearly as bulky as I thought it would be. I really like the fit and reduced bulk of the jeans more than the mesh Kevlar Michelin-man style pants. Only downside with this pant style is you really can't wear much underneath, unlike the mesh Kevlar which lets you wear jeans, shorts, or undergarments and is a better commute-to-work choice if you don't fancy changing into clothes. The Jean pants have leg zippers that zip up to below the knee level to aid with getting on your boots, but they don't have the full length zipper of the mesh pants.

Also ordered cargo pockets, as I use these on the Mesh Kevlar pants all the time.

Wayne is also selling riding under garments, which look like the LD Rider stuff but have a special fabric that is cool to the touch, and perfect for long summer days.

Looks like you are a fan now! That is good. I like to see peeps I care about well protected.

If you can afford it, you should wear the best gear to increase your survival rates. It really is that simple.

I stopped by Motoport last week. They are as busy as can be with orders, and churning them out as fast as they can. Good to see small businesses doing so great!

I was there to get the velcro replaced on my Motoport glove (they are old, very old, but look new except for the velcro), which Wayne did free of charge.
smile.png

Once I check those out, you're probably going to cost me some (more) coin Hudson!

Sounds like Santa was good to you so far.

--G

quoted: Also ordered cargo pockets, as I use these on the Mesh Kevlar pants all the time.

I have the cargo pockets on my mesh pants, and although I rarely store anything in them, the left flap serves as a mount for my portable heat-troller clip-on holster. I just can't see it while adjusting it.

i'm trying to decide between the stretch and mesh kevalr.

most of my riding will be between 50 DegF and 90 Degf.

do you guys think the stretch kevlar would be too warm?

also, what about mesh fronts with stretch backs? i've heard f this combo but don't understand the benefits.