Motoport visit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I have the 1000D Ultra II Cordura pants (and love them)...but if I had the money, I would have the Mesh Kevlar jacket & pants.

Steve, I have the 1000D Ultra II Cordura pants (and love them)...but if I had the money, I would have the Mesh Kevlar jacket & pants.
Joe - I was actually considering the Cordura pants but couldn't find much info. How much air do they flow?

I am looking to replace my First Gear Mesh pants, so the hot weather is what these will be used for.

I wear the stretch Kevlar all year around. I don't have an issue with heat with them on. It breathes pretty well, they don't heat up like other fabrics do, and actually keep some of that Gen-1 engine heat off my legs.

I am only wear compression shorts under them, very comfortable. You can't do that with Mesh Kevlar, I think most people are wearing long pants under their mesh Kevlar pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the mesh. I only wear LD shorts under them with no problem. Motoport recommends the stretch Kevlar for dry warm conditions (desert). They are supposed to do well over here in humid-ville too. If I had it to do over again I would go stretch instead of mesh.

I've got the mesh kev's. I wear both short LD's and long LD's. Depends on the temps.

I've worn them from 100F down to below freezing. The only diff being the aformentioned gauchies, and, whether or not the rain liner is in or out.

I"ve been toying with selling the Motoport stuff and moving over to something with Goretex, like the Klim stuff. Way less bulky, and no need to lug around liners.

I suppose I was wrong. I didn't think the sand paper toughness of mesh kevlar despite inner comfort liners would go comfortably with LD shorts etc. Learnt something new today.

I suppose I was wrong. I didn't think the sand paper toughness of mesh kevlar despite inner comfort liners would go comfortably with LD shorts etc. Learnt something new today.
They don't call them "comfort liners" for nothing.
wink.png
Actually, shorts pants under the mesh kevlar is quite comfortable...

They don't call them "comfort liners" for nothing. ;) Actually, shorts pants under the mesh kevlar is quite comfortable...
+1

It's been 90* here the past few days and shorts under Mesh is plenty comfortable. At stop lights I notice the Gen1 heat, but nothing serious.

I have the mesh and the stretch. They both have their benefits, but lately I am liking the stretch much better, so long as I don't need to wear jeans underneath. If you ride to work and need to wear work clothes underneath, I think the mesh is the better choice.

Bungee, I have a pair of KLIM pants. Compared to Motoport, I am not a fan of the KLIM stuff. I wish I hadn't wasted my money. It is inferior build and armor, and it wasn't really that much cheaper than the motoport.

<snip> i'm trying to decide between the stretch and mesh kevalr.
most of my riding will be between 50 DegF and 90 Degf.
Steve, the key is your riding temperatures. My stretch set-up works up to about 95 as long as you're moving.

I am only wear compression shorts under them, very comfortable. You can't do that with Mesh Kevlar, I think most people are wearing long pants under their mesh Kevlar pants.
PC, like the others, I'm using LD base layers under the stretch jacket and mesh pants without issue. In summer temps, I actually prefer the LD tights and long top for cooler riding.

YMMV

--G

I wonder if anyone here also has or had a BMW Motorrad AirFlow 4 suit (jacket and pants). Would be really good to hear a comparison from someone who's tried both sets of gear. The SG3 gear crashes well too, in that it's not going to disintegrate or rub through like many of the other Cordura garments.

I have the BMW StreetGuard 3 Jacket and Pants (cold black) and am very happy with the design, performance and safety features. The "cold black" technology works incredibly well at regulating/extending the comfort zone in both cold and warm conditions. SG3 is a 3 season gear, so for the hot summer weather I need something else. The AirFlow 4 gear is supposed to be along the same lines as the SG3 gear but more specifically for the heat of summer. Obviously there will be some overlap during parts of Spring & Fall...

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2009/june/jun2509-bmw-airflow-4-suit/

https://motorbikewriter.com/bmw-airflow-motorcycle-suit-review/

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/equipment/media/BMWMotorradUSA_Ride_NewFor2014.pdf

Wouldn't it be great if we just all bought a full set of riding gear once and then loved it forever? I keep seeing stories from folks like me who buy something, try it, not really satisfied, and start again. How many pairs of gloves do you have? Helmets? Boots? Jackets and pants?

I do have a set of Motoport's mesh kevlar, and praise the lord, I was wearing it when I biffed in '08 on the way to NAFO. Bruises all up and down my body, totally wrecked FJR, but NO rips in the Motoport, and more importantly, NO rips in me! Zero blood flowing. I always feel very very safe wearing this gear.

That said, I don't wear it all the time, for the reasons listed here, especially the bulk. Still, it's safe, and that's the point. I'll just throw out one suggestion for anybody who's coming over to the Motoport side thanks to Dave's write up: consider buying the gear but not the liners. You can definitely buy warmer and more supple products that work just fine under the MP outer gear, and as mentioned, NO waterproof liner is convenient to use if weather changes during a ride. Changing by the roadside, maybe in the rain, maybe with no place to sit down, taking off your boots to remove pants (privacy?) and keeping your dry socks dry--or clean. All problems with liners. I suggest good rain gear over your riding gear, when needed. Cheaper too.

But I've always been soooo happy I had on my Motoport mesh kevlar suit when I went bouncing over all them jagged rocks!

thanks for all the input. i just got off the phone with wayne and order a pair of the ultra cordura pants.

current production times put me into the 1st or 2nd week of May.

Two years before I retired from a California PD, I showed the powers to be how effective the Motoport gear was in comparison to the gear we were currently using, your basic horse riding breeches, standard duty shirt and leather jacket. The department purchased the police style Kevlar motor breeches and police air mesh Kevlar jacket and TCX Air tech Gore Tex boot.

When I retired I got to keep the gear since it was made to fit me. Removed the patches and star from the jacket and I've been using them ever since.

Who says the best things in life aren't free!

I've had Motoport Mesh kevlar pants and jacket for I think four years now. Because I have freakishly short legs no off the rack pants ever fit. Wayne did make custom pants for me. His first try at them didn't work very well, I wound up going back to his shop to have them altered some more. They still are really baggy in the butt and are too long (I wear them Urkle style). The jacket is a bit large also.

I've lost 80 pounds since I bought the outfit, so the pants are now ridiculously large, one of these days I'll go back to California and have him try again.

But I wear them almost all the time. It is true that Motoport gear is very bulky, occasionally I'm going somewhere where it's just not practical to deal with it once I get off the bike, but I always wear it if I can.

Why?

Because I've had two medium speed get-offs while wearing Motoport. The Motogear was scuffed up but not really damaged. More importantly I was not damaged at all! The kevlar with quad armour is really, really tough stuff.

I look ridiculous walking around in my Motoport, but at least I can still walk, and have no scars!!

Two years before I retired from a California PD, I showed the powers to be how effective the Motoport gear was in comparison to the gear we were currently using, your basic horse riding breeches, standard duty shirt and leather jacket. The department purchased the police style Kevlar motor breeches and police air mesh Kevlar jacket and TCX Air tech Gore Tex boot.When I retired I got to keep the gear since it was made to fit me. Removed the patches and star from the jacket and I've been using them ever since.

Who says the best things in life aren't free!
motorgod, you paid for them with your time. Thanks!

I've been reading many stories about the Motoport gear for a number of years now and was always drawn to the level of protection it purportedly offers. I read stuff, here, at ADV riders website and on Motoports website. Last fall I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Kevlar Ultra II mesh jacket. Custom made to my measurements. I thought the process of making 13 body measurements was a little extreme, but I was ultimately pleased with the result. It took a couple iterations because Wayne questioned some dimensions. He has a good sense of when someone list freakishly long arm measurements.

I made quite a detailed powerpoint file to help describe the jacket color and features I wanted and Motoport got every detail right. I also ordered a liner at Wayne's recommendation. My daughters needed birthday present ideas so they bought the liner. Nice kids. The liner has been helpful in the cooler weather since the jacket along flows alot of air. In very cold weather, the liner isn't enough. I put a heated jacket under it all and that does the trick. I explained to Wayne that I would be using a heated jacket liner in cold weather and he assured me it would fit OK. He was right. I haven't encountered any rain with the Motoport jacket/liner so I can't evaluate the liner for wet riding. And I don't want to. I carry a two piece rain suit that will fit over the jacket. Motoport claims the liner will be effective keeping you dry in rain, but I'm not sure I want the jacket soaked through.

The sturdiness and level workmanship in the jacket cannot be overstated. It feels like a wearable fortress. At first it was very stiff, and yes, sort of uncomfortable. It has taken about 2 months of daily commuting use to 'break in'. I expect over this first season of use the break in will be complete. It won't however become small and easy to pack in a side case. That is not one of the design parameters. It's a bulky item to carry around, etc. But once its on, especially when riding, it feels no bulkier than any other 3/4 length textile touring jacket.

I'm very pleased with this jacket and expect to be for years to come. Hopefully never have to test it.

I've already started hinting to my daughters that I might have some birthday ideas for them this fall. Kevlar pants, maybe??

Latest posts