hiccup at 6000 rpms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loingrader

Reaction score
05 fjr abs. 27000 miles. has always run perfect. all service done a reputable dealer, where chief mechanic owns 2 fjr's.

at 6500 rpms there is a hiccup in the acceleration. like the rear tire is loosing traction for a fraction of a second, or like it is hitting a rev limiter for just a fraction of a second. the tach jumps from 6500 to 7000 in an instant but then it winds up great all the way up to redline. does it in any gear, and usually only under hard accelleration. i.e. wide open throttle. i have noticed it for awhile but thought it was just when going over an expansion joint on an on ramp or something. i don't wrap it up real tight, real often, so i don't notice it much. tonight i tested it a bit and it is happening pretty consistently. any ideas? i'm due for my 28000 service so i'm going to mention it to my mechanic, but i thought i would poll the board. thanks.

-b

after more experimenting today i think my rear tire is just momentarily breaking loose. tonight the wind was behind me and the bike acted completely normally. on the same stretch of road where yesterday, with a stiff headwind, the problem occured. it usually happens on on-ramps onto the interstate. could it be my rear avon? i'm stumped...

its the tranny. second gear to be exact. kinda like the yzf600's. they are pulling the tranny today, should be done by the end of next week. glad i got the 5 years of Y.E.S.

-b

loingrader,

Any idea what could have caused this, high speed downshift, etc.....

What was the physical problem ? Missing tooth in the tranny ?

Just curious..... :blink:

not sure what caused it. i've never abused the bike in any way and i always use my clutch when i shift. i wouldn't be surprised if it was a defect from the factory. i've noticed the problem for a long time. just didn't think about it much cause it rarely happened and didn't get any worse. it took me 28000 miles to isolate the exact circumstanses that would replicate the problem for my mechanic. the fact it hasn't gotten worse leads me to think it was a problem from the factory.

i haven't bugged my mechanic about details as of yet. after they fix it i'll make sure and find out what the exact problem with the tranny turned out to be. it only happens in 2nd gear and they said that the problem is isolated to second gear. i know nothing about the inner workings of the transmission but it felt to me like a cog missing that only would allow the tranny to jump at a certain rpm (torque) load.

i have a great relationship with this dealership. they do all my maintenence, and the same mechanic works on it every time. he is also a diehard fjr rider. they know i haven't abused the bike and they are going to get my problem fixed as soon as they can. again, they take very good care of me.

the yamaha yzf 600 has been plaqued with 2nd gear problems for years. never heard of problems with the fjr's and searches of this site didn't come up with much either. again. once i know the exact problem i will post it here.

-b

I have a 2007 fjr and now have the 2nd gear problem. Dropped my bike off at the dealer (Madisons Yamaha, Kaw in Raleigh,N.C.) April 22,2010. I sill have not got my bike back, waiting on parts and they said they don't like to do big jobs this time of year. July 24 they informed me that my Y.E.S. was not going cover the labor only the parts due to it was rider error. Any help thoughts any one could give me will be a big help...