Magnetic Oil Drain Plug After 600 Miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03HiYoSilver

Reaction score
I thought I share the pics Before/After of the Magnetic Oil Drain plug(Replaced OEM one w/New Rear Final Drive Plug) I installed just previous to the engine cases/pistons/rings rebuild mentioned in this thread https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=100397 :

Before
1OilDrnPlugClnd.jpg

After 600 miles:
1OilDrnPlug2.jpg

After Pic 2:
1OilDrnPlug1.jpg

Note: The White spots on the magnet appeared after I adjusted the picture's focus for clarity.

You can see the very fine shavings attached to the sides of the magnet...at least they did not go someplace they weren't supposed to!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I share the pics Before/After of the Magnetic Oil Drain plug(Replace w/New Rear Final Drive Plug) I installed just previous to the engine cases/pistons/rings rebuild:
Before
1OilDrnPlugClnd.jpg

After 600 miles:
1OilDrnPlug2.jpg

After Pic 2:
1OilDrnPlug1.jpg

You can see the very fine shavings attached to the sides of the magnet...at least they did not go someplace they weren't supposed to!

Check inside the oil filter. I bet that's a lot fuzzier. But every little bit helps...

Oh, and good choice sticking with the original copper gasket.

Crush washers? Crush washers? We ain't got no Crush washers...

at least they did not go someplace they weren't supposed to!
Like the oil filter? :blink:

Those pics don't look normal to me. That seems excessive.

Was that the first oil change on a newly rebuilt motor?

Probably all right considering the engine work done. I sure wouldn't want to see that at my next oil change though. (If it were my bike, I would crack open the spent oil filter just being curious as to what else was floating around.)

I installed a magnetic drain plug on my 2007 at 200 miles. The magnet looked similiar to yours for the next two oil changes. At 19,000 miles I have a small amount on top of the magnet each oil change.

In case you are interested in getting the Magnetic Drain Plug it is located Under Drive Shaft in Yamaha's Microfiche:

3JL-13455-00-00 PLUG #28 Bottom One!

In case you are interested in getting the Magnetic Drain Plug it is located Under Drive Shaft in Yamaha's Microfiche:
3JL-13455-00-00 PLUG
I added a link in the Gen II Bin. Can someone verify this part number for Gen II FJRs?
Rickster,

This is the Bottom drain plug off the Microfiche for the 2007

90340-14004-00 PLUG, STRAIGHT SCREW #28 Bottom One!

Hope this helps

I've alway just put a big magnet on the bottom of the oil filter. I've cut a couple of filters open and yes it does work.

Just in case you wanted to see an OEM Oil Filter opened up, here it is:

Top of Oil Filter is the End towards the Closed End of the Filter.

1FjrFilterOpen1.jpg

Note: The Metallic Specks are from the Hacksaw Cutting through the can.

1FjrFilterCutOpen1.jpg

You are not going to see much fine metallic shavings in the media without a great deal of additional effort and/or processes I am not willing to undertake.

Just in case you wanted to see an OEM Oil Filter opened up, here it is:
Top of Oil Filter is the End towards the Closed End of the Filter.

1FjrFilterOpen1.jpg

Note: The Metallic Specks are from the Hacksaw Cutting through the can.

1FjrFilterCutOpen1.jpg

You are not going to see much fine metallic shavings in the media without a great deal of additional effort and/or processes I am not willing to undertake.

The photo below is from my second oil change. I had put rectangular magnets on the filter I had taken off of a Sears socket holder. I can't totally remember what the element looked like, but it was blackish. As long as what you're finding in there is primarily a black paste, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The amount you find should be signicantly less after your next oil change; the black paste, which is fine metallic particulars, will always be there in lesser amounts.

Annv07006.jpg

O.K. I've got a question

If you didn't stick a magnet on your oil filter, where would those particles end up?

In the paper element? So what are you gaining?

And, since there is no filtering of the final drive oil... Isn't the magnet on that drain plug more of a "something is better than nothing" solution? It's only going to hold the largest ferrous chips anyway. Right? Adding a magnet to your crank case drain plug attracts particles that would end up in your filter anyway.

O.K. I've got a question
If you didn't stick a magnet on your oil filter, where would those particles end up?

In the paper element? So what are you gaining?

And, since there is no filtering of the final drive oil... Isn't the magnet on that drain plug more of a "something is better than nothing" solution? It's only going to hold the largest ferrous chips anyway. Right? Adding a magnet to your crank case drain plug attracts particles that would end up in your filter anyway.
Neat idea BUT, I agree with Joe2lmaker's above statements.

WW