how to plug a tire using sticky string?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregarious

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like an idiot-- Fire away at me!

I have a hole in my tire which I am going to plug with a sticky string, but I've never done it myself. Is there any link to pictures someone could send me? As I recall, I need to ream the hole bigger, then install the sticky string, but I'm not sure how to install it. Sorry I'm a dumb A**

Thanks,

Greg :angry2:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot-- Fire away at me!
I have a hole in my tire which I am going to plug with a sticky string, but I've never done it myself. Is there any link to pictures someone could send me? As I recall, I need to ream the hole bigger, then install the sticky string, but I'm not sure how to install it. Sorry I'm a dumb A**

Thanks,

Greg :angry2:

Pull out the object that caused the puncture, ream out the hole with the reamer that came with your repair kit, Place the sticky string in the insertion tool so that half the string is on each side of the tool, dip the string into rubber cement, push insertion tool with string attached into hole, twist insertion tool to release the string, pull it our, cut of excess string.

I highly recommend releasing all of the pressure in the tire first. This prevents the air pressure from the tire blowing the glue out of the hole before it has a chance to dry.

I've done it with and without releasing the pressure and always leaked slightly without. I've had plugs last the whole lifetime of the tire when I release the pressure first.

If you have the luxury of being at home, I clean the wound with BrakeKleen or equivalent. Get as many contaminants so the rubber cement has a chance to stick. I also put a goop of cement into the hole.

I did a write-up on how to do it HERE.
Nice write up Dennis, ..and on it you say:

....s and the additional rubber-cement (the original had leaked out).
Good call on the extra cement and wonder where you found it? IMO, the cement is very critical. I've been stuck with dried up or leaked cement when I really would have been better off with a plentiful supply rather than trying to make old or a lean supply work.

The wally world worms seem as good as any IMO, but I sure like to have some extra cement along with them.

This "Nealey" repair kit sure looks handy, but I'm a bit tentative without cement, and I see no mention other than what is likely on the worms. Just my $0.02

most autosupply stores have the cement, you may have to by some patches along with it though.

once you puncture the foil on a tube of cement you can bet its done so dont rely on it for the next time

Yep, if I remember correctly I'd got that whole kit-in-a-tube setup at a local Schuck's Auto Parts (now Reilly) for a few bucks. As stated they made sell just the cement, too.

I've done the sticky string repair many times without Rubber Cement. It has always held just fine for me, but it's an absolute bitch to get the string pushed in.

IMO the Rubber Cement acts more as a temporary lubricant for the string than a long-term sealant for the patch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done the sticky string repair many times without Rubber Cement. It has always held just fine for me, but it's an absolute bitch to get the string pushed in.
IMO the Rubber Cement acts more like a temporary lubricant for the string than a long-term sealant for the patch.
+1

No problems to report here either. I've only had to do 1 bike tire this way though. Done plenty of car tires. The tube of rubber cement always seems to be dried out by the time I get to it.

IMO the Rubber Cement acts more as a temporary lubricant for the string than a long-term sealant for the patch.
I've seen/experienced the same; glue if I've got it, a little extra effort if not.

Noting the angle of the puncture (when removing the offending object) helps in inserting the sticky string.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Ashe.

I am not opposed to using the glue but it seems that every time I need it the glue is dried up.

I have two bikes and ride one or the other daily. At this moment they both have a sticky string plug in the rear tire and both are holding air (no glue was used in either repair).

No problems to report here either. I've only had to do 1 bike tire this way though. Done plenty of car tires. The tube of rubber cement always seems to be dried out by the time I get to it.

I've seen/experienced the same; glue if I've got it, a little extra effort if not.
Noting the angle of the puncture (when removing the offending object) helps in inserting the sticky string.

I agree with Ashe.
I am not opposed to using the glue but it seems that every time I need it the glue is dried up.

I have two bikes and ride one or the other daily. At this moment they both have a sticky string plug in the rear tire and both are holding air (no glue was used in either repair).
[SIZE=14pt]Jeezers!![/SIZE] :)

OH, I see now, you homo's ain't using tubes .....am I the only guy running tubes in the FJR??

OK, seriously.

I suppose 300 of ya can't be wrong.

I've done 'em dry or nearly dry with success too, but *me* always felt better with plenty of cement, perhaps not necessary, but that cement bond seems to only help.

Most of my dry applications were not by choice, but rather finding my cement was buggard up from time and heat. Me going to attempt to keep some fresh cement with me, which means getting a new tube every season or so.

OH, I see now, you homo's ain't using tubes .....am I the only guy running tubes in the FJR??

OK, seriously.

I suppose 300 of ya can't be wrong.

I've done 'em dry or nearly dry with success too, but *me* always felt better with plenty of cement, perhaps not necessary, but that cement bond seems to only help.

Most of my dry applications were not by choice, but rather finding my cement was buggard up from time and heat. Me going to attempt to keep some fresh cement with me, which means getting a new tube every season or so.
Make that 301. The last time I shopped for a patch kit most of the kits didn't even include the rubber cement.