07 ticking?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
I've read that a lot of bikes develop the tick, but it seems that it's mostly gen1 bikes. Are the 07's known for developing a tick at all. Reason I ask is I just turned 5k and I noticed a slight tick at low speeds and sitting at lights. Now I have a little over 5100 on it, and it seems to be getting louder and louder. I can hear it doing 30-40 mph now. Does anyone still have the audio file of the tick?

I've read that a lot of bikes develop the tick, but it seems that it's mostly gen1 bikes. Are the 07's known for developing a tick at all. Reason I ask is I just turned 5k and I noticed a slight tick at low speeds and sitting at lights. Now I have a little over 5100 on it, and it seems to be getting louder and louder. I can hear it doing 30-40 mph now. Does anyone still have the audio file of the tick?
Relax, the chances of you having this problem are incredibly slim, believe me. 2005 was the last model year of any *confirmed* ticker.

You are likely hearing the normal clicking noises consistent with the Genesis cylinder head and EFI system.

The sound clip is in the Bin-O-Facts somewhere, if you really want to compare the noises.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '07 bike 'ticks' since day 1, so I knew it was something I needed to get used to. Many of the gears are straight-cut for durability, which doesn't help with noise (mine whines a little too, especially in lower gears, but I bet road/wind noise drowns it out at higher speeds).

Having said that, increased noise is not good news, but the question is if it's perceived or real. Get it checked (and documented) if in doubt. I figure if something is wrong, it'd let itself known sooner rather than later, and usually it doesn't mean leaving you stranded. The only problem for me is I'm about to run out of warranty with only 800 miles, so hope to make 2 trips before that date to make sure all is well with my bike. I missed a long trip due to the stupid altitude issue (a severe one in my case), in case somebody was wondering why so few miles. Later gang.

JC

Last edited by a moderator: