100mph Feel Buffeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my '05 still had the stock shield, the buffeting was terrible on the freeway with the shield raised up and the trunk installed. Lowering the shield only helped a little. If I was behind a semi, the whole bike would move back and forth in the wake air blast the semi created. Changing windscreens seemed to have solved the problem, and I'm not exactly sure why. I put on a CB +4+4 to get a larger pocket of calm air. I guess maybe the side benefit is the wider screen pushes the air out far enough, reducing its effect on the trunk and the sides of the bike. Anyway, it seems to work nomally now when running higher speeds.

A couple things. Set rear preload hard, as soft setting will transfer weight back and unload the front, worsening as speed builds. Soften the front preload, the wheel can follow road imperfections easier this way, set compression and rebound a little tighter than standard. Make sure front suspension adjustments are equal side to side, mis-adjustment is magnified at speed. Lose the trunk (if used) and bags, they can make things interesting at triple dig speeds ( you can ask how I know this). Raising the windshield slightly will smooth airflow over you-I run over a hundred all the time with my 4-4 CB with no stability probs. Tuck the body, a leg out can mess ya all up. My best speed was run sans windshield and heavily tucked, chin on tank etc, before the risers went on, but not a way I'd wanna cruise the nation.

Last edited by a moderator:
that it's acceleration, not speed, that floats my boat...Oh, curves are cool, too!
I actually said almost those exact words to a 'shrink' in 1988 when she asked what it was that attracted me to motorcycles. Reading your words made the hair on my neck stand up! Deja Vu...... :unsure:

A couple things. Set rear preload hard, as soft setting will transfer weight back and unload the front, worsening as speed builds. Soften the front preload, the wheel can follow road imperfections easier this way, set compression and rebound a little tighter than standard. Make sure front suspension adjustments are equal side to side, mis-adjustment is magnified at speed. Lose the trunk (if used) and bags, they can make things interesting at triple dig speeds ( you can ask how I know this). Raising the windshield slightly will smooth airflow over you-I run over a hundred all the time with my 4-4 CB with no stability probs. Tuck the body, a leg out can mess ya all up. My best speed was run sans windshield and heavily tucked, chin on tank etc, before the risers went on, but not a way I'd wanna cruise the nation.
I have little experience messing with the adjustments on suspension. I know the rear adjustment you speak of is the one on the side I can just turn to hard no big deal. The rest of what you say I have read in the manual just briefly.

No bags or trunk.

more specific information on adjustment appreciated.

Thanks

There's a couple of great articles on tuning suspension, but heck if I can find them right now.

As far as trouble-shooting the steering head, check this FJRtech article that covers it. Scroll about halfway down for the specifics.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=15

Bounce also has a write up and additional tips:

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/shb/shb.html

As mentioned, the FJR Service Manual actually has a decent technical description and compliments the articles written by live people.

My FJR has been rock solid at speed in the wide open west. At about 15K-miles, noticed some shake developing. Did the procedure above and all is good. As far as windshield, full down with the Rifle Touring screen, hunkered down on the tank, with bags, full load. No shaky for me, but I think this becomes very subjective depending on skill level, experience with other bikes.

...when reaching 100mph and since I can't stay there long enough (traffic) to play with the windshield to see if it is it...
Someone posted a while back recommending not to make adjustments to the windscreen at higher speeds due to stress on the lil motor gears in there. I try not to adjust when rolling 75-80mph, and maybe this is even too high. I set it and forget it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great technical answers, as usual. :clap:

But then, there are the typical wise crack responses too. <_<

Why can't we just ever seem to answer the questions posed by people?

100mph Feel Buffeting, Is it the wheel or is it the windshield

Neither. It is the wind my friend. :graduate:

You may want to check your front wheel bearing as well. The FZ1 has OCCASIONALLY had some bikes with a problem there. Very dangerous but easily remedied. If the FJR front wheel is essentially the same as the FZ1's other than esthetics, it may be using the same bearing (the tire's the same size). I don't remember the size of the bearing but on the FZ1 it is a standard size and does not need to be the Yamaha-branded replacement part.

Just another thought.

GPS speed - not overly impressive for the rolling average (except that it was over almost 15 Hours), but I actually felt I backed off on top speed when the bike would still have pulled more. If I had realised how close 238kph (148MPH) was to 150mph (242kph).

OK - so I just proved I can't post piccies here.

Reporting back in. After making this post and getting all the suggestions I started hunting down a 6 point socket to tighten the triple tree bolt. Let me tell ya just find that was no easy task, 12 points abound and I ain't talking deer.

My torque wrench only goes to 80 so I gave it a little extra but it was a little loose.

After my next ride it is better.

Thanks for the suggestion...