100mph Feel Buffeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
I notice a buffeting affect when reaching 100mph and since I can't stay there long enough (traffic) to play with the windshield to see if it is it or the front wheel has anyone else felt this? The reason I think it might be the windshield is it is like the feeling you get when doing 80 and you raise the windshield. Only I not only get the feeling in my head I can feel it in the seat as well. Should I just go faster :D

I only ask because for a "sport bike" to feel unstable at only 100 seems a waste...

That's just the transition through the sound barrier... keep pushing and it goes away... :D

I notice a buffeting affect when reaching 100mph and since I can't stay there long enough (traffic) to play with the windshield to see if it is it or the front wheel has anyone else felt this?
I only ask because for a "sport bike" to feel unstable at only 100 seems a waste...
I certainly noticed that the FJR did not feel as stable cruising at "speed" as my ST1100. I think it is because of the upright seating position and not enough weight being put on the front end to compensate for the lift being created under the front faring. It is more of a comfort issue than a safety issue because the FJR is still very stable at triple digit speeds, it just doesn't let you forget how fast you are really going.

That's just UNBELIEVEABLE that you law-breaking hooligans would travel at such dangerous speeds on your murder-cycles!!!! :bigeyes:

Think of the little children, for cryin' out loud!!!

[SIZE=8pt]And pay no attention to my avatar....[/SIZE]

Sparky, you just aren't riding with enough weight up front. Get your friend Danica to sit facing you on the tank. Then see how fast you...go... :D

Do you have a stock shield?

Last edited by a moderator:
just duck behind the shield and see if the it goes away (my bet is it will)...and I feel sorry for you that you can't go 100+ without running into traffic. Then again, I bet your local concert schedule is better than what we get locally...

If my speedometer ever reaches WC's avatar, buffeting wouldn't be the problem. The problem would be the soft stuff I'm sitting in. :bleh:

Agreed, the fastest I have ever been on a bike on the street is around 120mph and that was for a very short period of time. Maybe if I was out west with more open roads I could increase that but on the east coast we don't have very long straight stretches of road.

WC had three magnets feeding the speed sensor on his Sigma that day . . . . :p

Just kidding, but anyone got a GPS screen shoot of triple digit AVERAGE speed across some kind of real distance? B)

[Not that I would ever condone such a thing . . . . ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, the fastest I have ever been on a bike on the street is around 120mph and that was for a very short period of time. Maybe if I was out west with more open roads I could increase that but on the east coast we don't have very long straight stretches of road.
East, west , north or south a buck-twenty is still a buck-twenty and nasty things can happen on the street. Having said that, the fastest I've been on a bike is an indicated 140 mph on the old VFR on an empty stretch of access road into UCSB. I didn't enjoy it. But getting there was, however, a hoot! That's when I decided that it's acceleration, not speed, that floats my boat...

Oh, curves are cool, too!

I have seen 140+ on my FJR several times on both racetrack and road. Most recently on the road going out to Waterton Lakes in Canada with bags and other stuff strapped on.I was north of 140 but did not look too closely.

My bike is as stable at 140 as it is at 40. There may be a wheel,tire or steering head issue to make it unstable.

Twowheelnut,Curves are acceleration,too.

I agree: Something is loose, or mis-aligned. Tires, forks, frame, etc. With the trunk and my wife on the back, at 100 I said to her (over the intercom) "You know we are doing 100?" Her response: "I didn't need to know that. I was perfectly happy until you told me that!" Now my wife is petite, but even so it's added weight on the back, and it was STILL perfectly stable.

I have the manual on its way for torque specs and such but any recommendations on what to check besides wheel balance as I would have to take it to the shop for that as a last resort? The top bolt at the triple tree, the big one, tq. The front axle bolt tq and pinch bolt tq? Any others I should look at for this?

Also since I have been poking around this site any tq specs for the bolts that hold the engine to the frame. I have worried about this bike from the day I took her home as that day I found the front wheel reflector missing and the other side bolt just hanging. I went back to the "stealership" the next day and they ordered a new one under warranty but didn't seem real impressed by my "so what is going to fall off next the engine" comment :D

While I was kidding I was serious.

Get your friend Danica to sit facing you on the tank. Then see how fast you...go... :D
If she was sitting up front I would have more on my mind than just the front end shaking :D

I strongly recommend you -and all other wrenchers-buy a shop manual. It has all the torque,bolt,lube specs spelled out in detail.

It has made the home wrenching downright easy. You can and will be more careful than the "wrench" at the dealer.

Yea, I have bought it but like everything for this bike it has to be ordered. I still have all the shop manual's from all the bike I have previously owned.