106 degree ride home in Oregon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolavine

Reaction score
We hit 106 degrees last night during my ride home from work. I preparation I wore a 3/4 helmet that I have modified for such weather including several dangerous extra holes, some foam reconstruction vent channels, and improvised 'Arai like' visor vents. Now 106 isn't anything to write home about for many of you but up here it is very unsual. OK, so my amazing discovery is that when it is that hot opening your visor actually seems to let out cold and bring in heat. I suspect my own body heat even encased in that, 'god, I hope I never have to ever use it for protection', helmet was about 5 degrees less than the outside air.

Crazy, who knew?

We've had a unusually hot July here in the Austin area and I agree with you. When you open the visor it's like a hair dryer blowing in your face. I can't wait for the 90 degree weather to return.

I find this to be true, starting about 93 or 94 (as indicated on the dash-board thermo).

Here in the Bay Area, I have a lot of that during the summer...lots of triple digits...the cage becomes interesting, just for the non-heated air.

Related topic: many folks aren't aware how dangerous it is to wear a Mesh jacket when riding in these brutal temps for any lengthy period. The hot dry air will literally pull the moisture out of your skin before it can even collect into a sweat droplet!

Since you're not actively sweating like you normally would, it's easy to be lulled into complacency and you can find yourself dehydrated in a surprisingly short period of time. Word.

that is too funny. While this post first appeared, I was on the phone with my customer, who works at Garmin in Salem OR. He was just telling me that today's high is 107. Then I got off the phone and checked posts to see this!

on a sidenote: I need to be talked-down. As an employee, he's allowed to get me employee pricing on a Garmin Zumo 660 for $511. I've already blwon close to $2K on accessories in the past 2 weeks!!!!! But damn, that's a good deal.

Related topic: many folks aren't aware how dangerous it is to wear a Mesh jacket when riding in these brutal temps for any lengthy period. The hot dry air will literally pull the moisture out of your skin before it can even collect into a sweat droplet!
I wear long-sleeve shirt and full-length pant polyester garments under my mesh for hot riding, to provide some barrier where the perspiration can actually help the cooling process....

112 here a week ago Sunday, but I didn't ride in it!

on a sidenote: I need to be talked-down. As an employee, he's allowed to get me employee pricing on a Garmin Zumo 660 for $511. I've already blwon close to $2K on accessories in the past 2 weeks!!!!! But damn, that's a good deal.
Run far and fast! Or get yourself the 550 and read Bramfrank's review of the 660. I have NO previous gps experience and even I found the 660 lacking.

101 officially here, but the DOT has a thermometer on a school that got to 106. Can't wait for it to break, only got down to 80 overnite.

Still riding though. What's worse, getting on a 100 degree bike or getting into a 115 degree cage and waiting for the AC to do it's thing.

At least friday, Moscow is only supposed to be around 90.

Since you're not actively sweating like you normally would, it's easy to be lulled into complacency and you can find yourself dehydrated in a surprisingly short period of time. Word.
Interesting, I wore mesh in the 106 and last night woke up at 3:30 am and drank a quart of water, even though we have air in the house. I thought it was strange that the two 16 ounce PBR's I had for a nightcap weren't enough (yeah I love puke beer when its hot). OK, to be honest, I hit the head too on the way to the water, but I didn't need too, I'm remembering teaching my two boys, when they were young, to never waste a chance to pee on a car trip.

that is too funny. While this post first appeared, I was on the phone with my customer, who works at Garmin in Salem OR. He was just telling me that today's high is 107. Then I got off the phone and checked posts to see this!
You don't need no stinking GPS, heck getting lost is more than half the fun on a bike.

But is it a dry heat... I liken riding in such temps like being in a convection oven. It is more comfy with the visor closed than open. I can see where it might even be more comfy in a Roadcrafter than mesh. Not to mention the dehydration threat.

Right. So we choose this time to head to Oregon's Wallowa area (LaGrande Sunday night). Montana is unseasonably cool right now (70 degree high today?) and Idaho and Oregon are ovens - so that's where we're heading, and Marilyn and I on our '03 Feej with no heat mods.... Actually, we get so much cool weather spring and fall I endure the Feej for the three or four weeks when it's really hot in the summer in order to enjoy the extra heat in the spring and fall. Yes, lot's of water and Gatorade the next five days.

But is it a dry heat... I liken riding in such temps like being in a convection oven. It is more comfy with the visor closed than open. I can see where it might even be more comfy in a Roadcrafter than mesh. Not to mention the dehydration threat.
Yep, mentioned that in my RR for the West. I was happy to be in my 'Stitch at 98F thru AZ. I couldn't imaging how hot it would feel on my arms to be doing 80+ for hours on end. Just looking a the broiled arm skin of the HD riders confirmed that (and they sure wern't doing 80+ :D )

Get the 550. Proven performer.

106? meh....... :dirol: We've had over 100 and often 105 or higher for a couple of months here. It has been the hottest summer on record. That's no small boast for Texas. I'm ready for it to end. +1 on warchild's word.

Get the 550. Proven performer.
he said he can get me the 550 for $540. Knowing nothing about them, I logically assumed the 660 is better then the 550. Anyway, I need a GPS like I need a hole in the head. If I'm gonna get impulsive and spend ANY more fricken money on crap for this bike, I'm already looking at ~$1000 for an Arai Corsair. I understand the term farkelholic much more clearly now. Make it stop!!!!

Oops, I'm hijacking another thread here, aint I? Good thing it's not friday ;)

Indeed. thanks for the tip. Although I'll prolly forget it by the time I get to use it here in NE OH...