1097 miles of California beauty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redtail

Reaction score
Here is the route I took.

Route 1097

After last Novembers run into a Pacific Northwest storm, I got a chance to try again. Couldn't plan or talk about it one more day. So, I packed the bike on tuesday, laid down to rest around 5 PM and got up at 1AM.

Was really torn about how to dress, as it was warm here in the San Fernando Valley, and was glad to find out I can finally hear "sound advise" over the noise in my head! So I went with my LD Comfort longs under Scorpion Deuce mesh pants, and Scorpion jacket with liner and Tourmaster heated vest.

My nephew met me at the local Chevron, to document my departure, and I was on the road at 3:10 AM. I only got as far as Lancaster, about 65 miles, before stopping to add warmer gloves and a bandana around my neck. Oh, and I plugged in the vest!

As I got closer to Mojave, the wind picked up. I thought, oh spit I'm picking up where the last ride ended! I managed to wrestle the bike in to town, and was gassing up, when 4 or 5 harley guys pulled in cussing the wind. Turns out two of them had IBA rides under their belts as well! Small world! I left them there and headed north, under freeway signs warning against travel for trucks, trailers and RV's. I quickly reassured myself that this vehicle was more than just an RV, besides I truly had my hands full with the winds. Probably 40 to 50 mph gusts.

As the sun started to rise, the wind started to settle, and I was never happier to be on the road!

Sunrise over Mojave

IMG_0849.jpg

Into the Owens Valley

IMG_0851.jpg

Sunrise on the Sierras

IMG_0852.jpg

Stretched my legs just south of Bishop.

Looking to the east.

IMG_0855.jpg

Looking to the west.

IMG_0857.jpg

Nice little ride past Mono Lake.

IMG_0860.jpg

And up into the trees!

IMG_0858.jpg

Quaint little town of Bridgeport was just below the snow line.

IMG_0862.jpg

I made it all the way to Carson City without much trouble, but leaving town brought me back under a hwy sign. Warning High Winds, Closed to trucks, trailers and RV's. This time, it was only a 10 mile valley to cross. I was glad it was only 10 miles! Really sketchy.

Got to the north end of Reno, and could see a Chevron from the interchange to the I-80! Super easy off and back on, perfect time to catch a break!

This is the 80 from the east.

IMG_0864.jpg

And here I'm looking back from the west.

IMG_0868.jpg

I swear the first 600 miles were cold! Without the heated vest, I would have had to work alot harder. With it made it the perfect temp. for riding ATGATT!

I finally dropped down into the central valley and slabbed for a little while.

IMG_0869.jpg

I jumped across from the I-5 to the 101, through the Pacheco Pass. Great advise from here on the forum! Got to Hollister and went south on Hwy 25. At this point in the ride, this was perfect, just plain perfect!

I wasn't sure how the pics were coming out, at least the ones I took while riding, so I didn't take more.

Popped out onto the 101 fwy at King City, and knew that all I had to do was follow it home!

Well, I missed the turn for the 154 that goes through the San Marcos Pass. So I thought I'd just stay on the stay on the fwy, easy! When I hit the coast, BAM!!! Cross wind like no-bodies business! I got this thing laid over, trying to keep it straight, and I swear I could feel the wind starting to lift me up off the road! Twice!

There was nothing to it but get to Santa Barbara, and by then it eased up. Wow! I really did have to dance with Mother Nature!

Got back to my starting point, a little after 10 PM.

I hope Fish & Game doesn't read this, because I think I'm over my limit on bugs!

IMG_0871.jpg

And Officer McCoy was able to show up, to verify my return as well!

IMG_0873.jpg

I learned alot again on this ride. For one day you can push pretty hard, but next time I need to eat and drink better. Only drinking a stops (and I only took really short stops), wasn't enough water.

I'm really glad for all the physical conditioning I've been doing. Fighting as much wind, as I had to on this ride, really took it out of me.

So glad for the advise and route support from this, and the IBA forum! I don't have many whistles-and-bells, but the ones I have made all the difference! Big props to those who rode before!

And most important, there were no injuries to me or the bike, and no interactions with the law (besides my nephew!).

Sending in the papers tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY! You made it! Good to see you finished safe and sound! :)

Sounds like it was quite the ride, congrats on besting Mother nature's test this time! :)

Congrats on the achievement.

That last 100 miles, does help one find their grit....Even Truer grit to have to go through wind gust...

That pass on the 101 down to the beach is called Gaviota Pass and it is always a windy bitch to ride/drive. There is something about the confluence of mountains/water/atmosphere there that drives a real stiff offshore flow down the hills and out to sea for the 4 or 5 miles directly to the east. I have had gusts come in partially open windows of our slowly moving RV there and snatch hats off heads and carry them out the other side of the RV never to be seen again.

There is rich history in that area too: Fremont vs. the Mexican Army, etc.

Tip o' the hat to you Redtail for your accomplishment. :hi: Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

W2