10k mile maintenance guidance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therider

Reaction score
When I picked my 2014 FJR-A, PO said dealer changed oil+filter and also final drive oil at 6k miles.

I am at 9400 mile mark and preparing to service it myself.

Decided to get shell Rotella-T 15w-40 JASO DH-2 (walmart or autozone or oreilly), yamaha filter, yamaha final drive oil (dealer).

Shall I replace spark plugs and do TB synch? Which TB synch tool is recommended and where to get it from?

Thanks.

I'm at 24,000 miles and have not done TBS or changed spark plugs. It has not shown a need for TBS (usually there are symptoms, mine has none). I figure I'll do the spark plugs when I go into the major maintenance at 26,000 miles (pretty soon).

Removing the oil filter can be a mess (oil runs down the side of the engine). I try to tape a piece of aluminum foil to act as a sort of funnel to guide the oil away from the engine. Sometimes it works fine, others not so good. I remove the bottom fairing screw and prop the fairing away to get to everything. Otherwise, you are good to go.

Let's have lunch again soon!

Dan

I have yet to do a TBS. When I had the coolant changed a while back, the shop didn't have the spark plugs I needed, so those are still original too, and will stay that way until next coolant flush. No issues. I change the oil, filter, and FD fluid every 5K. 5K was suggested by folks here, and is easier to keep up with than 4K. I use Yamaha oil, because it's price comparable with anything else I might use, Yamaha filters, and Yamaha FD fluid, which I put in one of the tall needle nose bottles FD fluid for my R75 used to be in. Makes it easy to fill the drive, no funnel needed. I still have not been able to make myself stop changing filters and FD fluid every service interval. It's just not that much money. But it's definitely not needed.

Just a quick reply to say i did a TBS check on my 14 at our local Tech day when my bike had about 1,000 miles and they were found to all be perfect and needed no adjustment. Luck of the draw. I just changed my spark plugs today, at 9,000 miles, using the OEM plugs, because although the bike was riding fine, the plugs are cheap and easy and I was curious what the original ones looked like. They had some heat scoring, but no carbon build up or other signs of problems. But plugs are cheap, and the process easy.

It's all about what helps you sleep at night.

I'm at 24,000 miles and have not done TBS or changed spark plugs. It has not shown a need for TBS (usually there are symptoms, mine has none). I figure I'll do the spark plugs when I go into the major maintenance at 26,000 miles (pretty soon).
Removing the oil filter can be a mess (oil runs down the side of the engine). I try to tape a piece of aluminum foil to act as a sort of funnel to guide the oil away from the engine. Sometimes it works fine, others not so good. I remove the bottom fairing screw and prop the fairing away to get to everything. Otherwise, you are good to go.

Let's have lunch again soon!

Dan
I have Gen II, when removing the oil filter; I remove the screw for the body panel right near the oil filter and use a piece of plastic cut from a milk container to direct the flow, Does not add any time and keeps the bottom panel clean(er).