'13 IBR reflections

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to share some thoughts on this years IBR.

First off:

A BIG congrats to Derek for attaining the ultimate accomplishment in the sport! Derek is a friend and a class act.

Josh - You are a monster when it comes to riding BIG miles. IMO you will be the rider in the future that has everyone scratching their heads

wondering how the heck you did it.

Wendy - Everyone speaks of what a great rider Wendy is (And that she is) But I will always remember her for her concern for other riders. We were

headed to Colorado from check point 1, I was really struggling and a rider rode up beside me to check out if I was OK. Wendy was that rider,

I will never forget that. I watched her throughout the rally riding to Bonus locations that I was too lazy to snag - she rode HARD! Her spirited ride

leading the way up Pikes Peak ... I could go on and on. Big CONGRATS Wendy!

Matt - It was great seeing you again. Your advice has helped me much over the years. 3 IBRs ... now that I experienced 1, the fact you have competed in

3 just blows me away.

Tim - Thanks again ! You see I went into an IBR not knowing how to route. I had a terrible time just loading the bonus locations into the GPS. We are standing

in the parking lot just minutes before the start, I had gotten maybe an hour of sleep the night before - and still had no route or idea where I was headed.

Tim's says to me that his first rally he rode bonus to bonus with no route planned. Well thats what I did for the next 11 days - Thanks Tim !!!

Greg - Thanks for trying to teach a MAC user new tricks. You set up my tech stuff for me. Congrats on your top 10 finish!

As for my ride... I learned some things:

I could route on the fly

I made a tough decision about 30 hours from the finish to play it safe. North Carolina waited with its huge points while I had a combination of bad luck (Accident in Houston

which shut down the interstate) and stupid mistakes (Riding to the south end in New Orleans and having to ride north, then south again) It put me in a position to give up part

of my rest bonus and make tracks to NC AND hope I arrived before sunset, or get 8 hours sleep and roll into Cranberry fresh. I took the easy path. I wanted the 3 digit and that

was my prime objective. I will have to live with that "What if" feeling for some time now. This was going to be my one and only IBR ... but thanks to some great riders, I am not so

sure now.

Thanks to everyone!!!

I forgot to mention SkooterG - Some key advice in the months leading up to this event! (But dog-gone... I should've done Key West)

Last edited by a moderator:
Was good meeting you in Pitt's! Congrats on an awesome ride Mr. 472 :)

And spot on with your descriptions of the fine people in this sport.

My hats off to you guys, glad it went well (for most) and it was a learning experience.

I really dislike riding the big slab, so not my cup of tea for sure.

My hats off to you guys, glad it went well (for most) and it was a learning experience.
Are you kidding me? Slab?

2 of my highlights were riding up Pikes Peak and 40 miles on the Jungle road (Wild ass road)

The Jungle road was a mixture of dirt and gravel with some interesting wash outs. Great memories for sure!

2 of my highlights were riding up Pikes Peak and 40 miles on the Jungle road (Wild ass road)

The Jungle road was a mixture of dirt and gravel with some interesting wash outs. Great memories for sure!
Oh, you were one of the nutjobs that took Jungo (and lived) ? :lol:

Concur. I just examined my route and estimate about 20% of it was slab. This rally, in particular, had far less "I-" in the road names than the past. I remember small bits of I-95 and I-25 and do remember chunks of I-80. But, mostly I remember Highway 50, the Trans Canada Highway (which ain't no slab by U.S. standards), and Highway 2. And Hess Road in Oregon....heh. I'll be uploading video of this little jewel soon.

This IBR rocked for road variety!

Sounds like you guys had fun and a variety of good roads
smile.png

When I checked in and was tracking you guys, it just seemed like everyone was always on (or coming/going to) the big slab. My vision may be skewed or I just checked at wrong times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your finish! I only got to watch the tail end since I was on the road most of the time, but it sure was fun seeing how things played out!

Good stuff, Tony, and congrats!!

This was going to be my one and only IBR ... but thanks to some great riders, I am not so sure now.
Why am I not surprised...
Same thought here...

Tony - Awesome ride, it was great to follow along this year watching someone I've ridden with. Looking forward to the next one...

Great ride Tony, congratulations! You did a heck of a job for routing on the fly. I have a feeling we will see you in another IBR.

Congrats, #472! If you can do this well routing on the fly, everyone better look out when you get your head wrapped around the technology! Hats off to you sir!