135 Brown County Indiana

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onedriver,
Nashville is in Brown County, east of Bloomington and west of Columbus on highway 46 and 135. Brownstown is in neighboring Jackson county, although I do not know where the Brownstown State fishing area is.

Shep
Thanks Shep. I will have to catch up with you guys another time,work load is a little heavy. Have a great ride and enjoy your vacation.

At this point I will have to leave my status as "maybe." My wife and I had vacation plans, which we cancelled, so now our week is a little uncertain. I will have to see what the morning brings.

Shep

so quicksilver, did you go ridin? Or did the dropouts discourage you?

I ended up taking a last minute 350mile ride sunday afternoon: not on nice roads like you guys, just through corn country and the Illinois river valley.

Yep, I like that loop down 135, over 58, up 446(?) and across Lake Monroe, back into Bloomingoton. (Lake MON row as we say round here...).

58 is OK, but too many 90 degree turns, not enough curves. That's on the north/west part up toward Sullivan. Tight turns in the corn fields. Not much fun.

Sorry, I didn't catch these posts earlier. Didn't realize you guys were trying to ride down there. I certainly would have come down. Dangit.

This week, I could come down easily on Sunday AM. Friday afternoon, I'm riding to Linton to get that stupid tire changed again. You see a knucklhead riding around with a front tire strapped to the back, that's me. I'll probably make the loop through 135 via Linton. I often stop in Bloomington for dinner, too. Maybe stop at Story. We'll see how the day progresses.

When I was out trying to get lost the other day, I did go by the Brownstown fishing area. Don't remember where it was, and thought it was strange to find it, but I see'd it. Thar it was. Just sittin there. Anyway, looked like a nice area back in there.

I'd be interested in going from 135 down to the SE to get into the Ohio river bottoms. Anyone know their way around down there?

I rode to Indy Saturday night. Visited with friends over in Plainfield until about 11:30 then went to the circle via 16th street. The Nascar Nuckleheads were all out, having fun. It was such a sight, that after the loop downtown, I came back by the track again. It was about 1:30 by then, and there were STILL people falling out into the road. Literally. What a madhouse. Looked like a lot of fun!

Oh, and Saturday late afternoon, I may run up to Lafayette. The Harley dealer up there has a demo bike I want to ride. 155 hp to the wheel Vrod. Thought I'd check out that little guy and see how SICK that thing is just for shits and grins.

Anyway, you guys get together sometime, try to post here or PM me. Maybe next time I'll catch you.

Well, there were three bikes on the ride, but unfortunately I was not one of them. I had to make a last minute run to Indy so I took the bike and timed it so I would go through Nashville about 10:00. I stopped at the BP and introduced myself to the group, but I am terrible with names so I do not even remember who was there! I hope they had a good ride...there were several spotty showers in the area. So, how about it guys? Tell us about the ride!

Shep

I'd be interested in going from 135 down to the SE to get into the Ohio river bottoms. Anyone know their way around down there?
Even though I live in Bloomington, I tend to ride more in Kentucky than anywhere else. Just last week I rode into Kentucky and came up 135 from the river all the way to Nashville. It is a decent ride, but 135 is not nearly as enjoyable down there. There are, however, some very nice roads in the SE corner of the state...probably the best we have.

I spent a a couple years living in Ferdinand, Indiana as well, so that coupled with riding bikes on the street for about 29 years now makes me pretty familiar with the area.

To be perfectly honest, I tend to be a lone ranger, long-distance type rider, but I am trying to learn to be more social, so maybe I will be able to get together with some of you yet!

Shep

Well, Shep, boy, plot us some roads down there. Inquiring minds want to RIDE!

What's to be social? 90% of the time, you'll be on your bike, doin' your thang. We're easy to get along with! We be doin our thang, too.

To Shep: I was there on an 03, with Brent and Angela on an 03 and Mike on a Blackbird, whatever that is. :p

We went N on 135 to BeanBlossom, W on 45 to Bloomington, S on 446 to 58, E on 58 to 135, back N on 135 to Story, where I parted company, had to get back for chores. Brent, Ang, and Mike stayed, hope they went into the Historic Story Inn for lunch.

The Story Inn is now a B&B with gourmet restaurant in the woods. way back when, the UPSTAIRS was a buggy factory for Studebaker, the bottom was a general store. 135 was a wagon trail from the river to indianapolis passing through Story. The room wifer and I have had once was on second floor looking out into the holler where the Inn had their garden for fresh veggies. Deer in the morning, no TV, no phones, recommended.

I proceeded N on 135 to 46, to what used to be a BigFoot and is now a Circle K, N on Salt Creek Road, one of my favs, W on Gatesville Road, back to 135 N to Morgantown and home.

Great ride, about 225 rd trip for me. Brent and Mike (and you) are new to me and that was good. They are great group riders, hope i didn't mess them up. I stayed in 3rd, Mike would signal me after he passed, for me to pass. Appreciated!

I know the Ohio bottoms of which you speak. For 8 years I put on an event centered in VeVay (pronounced VeeVee). Its been a while now, but I still have the maps of all the backroads. IN 129 gets you down there, and of course crossing over the river into KY towards DryRidge is very good riding also.

Ron Dison

Last edited:
Ron,

Thanks for the report and reminding me of who's who. It was nice to meet you all. That is a nice ride...it is one that I take often. Living right there makes it simple for me to get to. I have also wandered some of those other Brown county roads, especially when I was riding a dual-sport.

I will admit to not being a very good group rider. I have almost always ridden alone, including most of the trips I take. I can ride with my father-in-law pretty well ( I have to, don't I?), as we both tend to cover miles with little stopping.

I have been reading a lot about the Story Inn in the local paper. It seems there are some unhappy neighbors who would like to see some restrictions placed on their music events. There is some good dual sport riding if you go past the Inn on the road that runs in front of it. As a matter of fact, there is an event held in that area every fall.

I took a nice little ride down by the river a couple days ago. I guess I have become a "heat sissy," so I left early and was back home by 11:00. 62 west of Corydon was a nice stretch that I have not been on in a while. Take care.

Shep