145mph with passenger yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think if you jumped of the top of a 1200 foot tower you would reach 145mph before stopping?
Remember if you do fall 1200 feet it's the very last one thats the most dangerous! :lol:

I hate heights.
It ain't the fall that kills you...it's the sudden stop!

The medical terminology is "deceleration sickness". :blink:

It doesn't make any differece if the ground hits the jumper or the jumper hits the ground, it's going to be bad for the jumper!

CK :alcoholic:

Do you think if you jumped of the top of a 1200 foot tower you would reach 145mph before stopping?
Remember if you do fall 1200 feet it's the very last one thats the most dangerous! :lol:

I hate heights.
It ain't the fall that kills you...it's the sudden stop!

The medical terminology is "deceleration sickness". :blink:
similar to, "it's not the bullet that get's you, it's the hole"

I got nailed by the WV Speedometer Calibration Squad for 95 in a 70 the other day. Fortunately, I'd already dropped 20-25 mph when I saw the car. This bike could seriously get a person in trouble :(

Try:V x V = U x U +2 x F x S

Great finally some one who has lived in the real world and links the value of air when traveling, rather then vaccum that exists between ones ears when they think to much and forget where they are. :blink:

Keep you eyes on the part of the road that you want to go, remember you have a body attached to your head, breath and drop those terminal thoughts and I reckon things will work out great! :yahoo:

Try:V x V = U x U +2 x F x S

where V is final velocity

U is initial velocity

F is acceleration

S is distance.

So, final velocity = square root of 2 * 32.2 * 1200

= 228 ft/second or 189 mph (approximately)

So I guess you reach terminal velocity.
Hmmmm...228fps doesn't work out to 189mph. One hour =3600 seconds so 3600 X 228 = 820,800 feet per hour

Divide 820,800 feet per hour by 5280 feet = ~155mph. That would be the terminal velocity falling from 1200 feet according to the results of your formula. However, that would be the "ideal" terminal velocity were you falling in a vacuum, that is, without any wind resistance. Figure in wind resistance and the 120mph terminal velocity mentioned earlier is quite feasible. So to duplicate a fall from 1200 feet, spool up your FJR to 120 and point it at a bridge abutment. Or drop down to 60 and go take on a dump truck head-on that's doing 60. Same effect. :ph34r:
Humble appologies. I did this in a hurry, got the "hard" part right, got the "easy" part wrong. I always remember 60mph=88fps which agrees with you, but I seem to have screwed up. (I'm getting old, let's call it a senior moment, better in a forum than on the road.)

Also, my definition of terminal velocity is the "skydivers" one, not the vacuum one, so either of our "in vacuum" speeds (my wrong 189, your correct 155) is above the real terminal velocity of about 120mph that I've seen quoted for a falling body, which is why I say he would reach terminal velocity. (Actually it's very complicated because the air resistance builds up as (I think) the square of the speed, so it all gets far too difficult. Whatever, he's dead.)

The formula that somebody up above was trying to apply is the definition of 1 G of acceleration, but it was not stated correctly.

1G = 32 feet per second per second.

So when you jump off that tower, you start to accelerate at 1G (since gravity is the only thing acting on you, ignoring air reistance).

That is for every second you fall, your velocity increases by an additional 32 feet per second.

After 1 second, it is 32 feet per second.

After 2 seconds, it is 64 feet per second.

After 3, its 96

etc.

Way to cool, I love the Idiot Posts..............So I thought I would Jump right in.

I was out with a Friend of mine today on His 600 yama. We were rid'n on some back roads with some LONG stretches!!

I just had to Pass that BMW(Car) at 120, I thought what the hell, I just kept it at 120 to 130 for a bit while my buddy caught up, I tucked down behind the lower wind screen I installed, and slowly increased my speed seeing if my buddy could keep up, 130, then 140, then let off just over 150, He stayed right on my heels the whole way, I think I could of got 160, I had throttle left. I had a corner coming up.

We did the corner at 120-130 then passed a car as we cranked it back to 150, then backed off and rode on in to the city at around 80-90. Coming to a school zone we slowed to 35. nothing but safety for us...

yeah yeah yeah, ya'll can bitch and moan all ya want to, the thing is, I'm going to do what I want to do no matter if you like it or not. so don't waste your time giving me all your self-righteous idiot routine.

I love speed, I love my bike and I'm going to ride how I want. If you can't handle the honesty then I suggest you move to a place with out idiots like me. Oh yeah, If I die, there's another one right behind me and at the same speed. For those of you that actually enjoyed the post. Ride on my Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the guy that did 145 2 up......... hahah, My hats off to ya.

Way to cool, I love the Idiot Posts..............So I thought I would Jump right in. I was out with a Friend of mine today on His 600 yama. We were rid'n on some back roads with some LONG stretches!!

I just had to Pass that BMW(Car) at 120, I thought what the hell, I just kept it at 120 to 130 for a bit while my buddy caught up, I tucked down behind the lower wind screen I installed, and slowly increased my speed seeing if my buddy could keep up, 130, then 140, then let off just over 150, He stayed right on my heels the whole way, I think I could of got 160, I had throttle left. I had a corner coming up.

We did the corner at 120-130 then passed a car as we cranked it back to 150, then backed off and rode on in to the city at around 80-90. Coming to a school zone we slowed to 35. nothing but safety for us...

yeah yeah yeah, ya'll can bitch and moan all ya want to, the thing is, I'm going to do what I want to do no matter if you like it or not. so don't waste your time giving me all your self-righteous idiot routine.

I love speed, I love my bike and I'm going to ride how I want. If you can't handle the honesty then I suggest you move to a place with out idiots like me. Oh yeah, If I die, there's another one right behind me and at the same speed. For those of you that actually enjoyed the post. Ride on my Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the guy that did 145 2 up......... hahah, My hats off to ya.
RIP...

Finely I get to Rest, and in peace even...Makes me comfortable already.................

Thank you