1978 Yamaha DT125E

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
My neighbor showed up yesterday and offered to give me a 1978 Yamaha DT 125 E. It needs work...about 300 dollars in parts and some wrench busting.

I guess that means it really needs about 500 dollars in parts

...or more. The question is do I just get this thing running in good order, or do I actually restore it? I know whether it is worth it is really up to me and how much I'd enjoy it. It has 2600 miles...but many years sitting outside.

Parts list so far:

1Y1-26290-10-00 BACK MIRROR ASS'Y, LEFT

1Y1-26290-00-00 BACK MIRROR ASS'Y, RIGHT

1M1-84514-60-00 BULB, TIAL LAMP (6V-32/3CP)

2A6-21611-10-00 FENDER, REAR

1M1-84523-60-00 GASKET, TAIL LAMP

1E6-26241-00-00 GRIP, LEFT

1A0-26242-01-00 GRIP, RIGHT

361-82920-93-00 HOLDER, LEVER RIGHT (361-82920-91)

1M1-84521-60-00 LENS, TAIL LAMP

2A6-83922-00-00 LEVER, RIGHT

2N4-11610-00-00 PISTON RING SET (STD) (2A6-11610-00)

1M1-26249-01-00 RING, LEAF

434-26243-00-00 TUBE, GUIDE

I guess I'll keep you all posted if there is interest. Here are its first pics:

DSC01032.jpg

DSC01031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the trunk mounting on the beemer. Very handy, though a little distracting.

ahh, the cooler...yeah, that's why I bought the FJR. The cooler on the windscreen made the BMW useless to ride. Too much buffeting.

So how do you like the DT 125 E ?

Pretty cool eh? :blink:

One of the original dual sports that Yamaha has been credited with inventing :bigeyes:

It's one heck of a collectors item...might be able to get 6-8 hundred bucks for it! :dribble:

Oh well...it'll still be fun to rebuild it with my son, who will no doubt enjoy the subsequent riding.

My .02 is you can spend a small fortune on it and have no ROI. For less $$ you can purchase a restored bike in much better shape for less money.

I'd fix it up to good running condition then go run it!

Dirts cool, but my heart would go for an RD. Always liked the little streeters.....

I think I'll check the interest from the kids. Get er running, or fully restore it. They might like the idea of one more father/kid project...and they might just want transportation!

I bought the second DT1-250 to come into Wyoming in `68. Compared to my 350 Ducati stripper, the DT1 was light, narrow, agile and had a world of suspension travel.

Recently had an opportunity to ride a semi restored one. Whatapig! Modern bikes are tough on memories...

I like the trunk mounting on the beemer. Very handy, though a little distracting.
Hey i cant help notice the really cool seat on your fjr.Looks like you have kept it in great condition :D

I can tell ya this. One of the lead wrenches here is a dirt fanatic, and has been for 40 years, and has always had Yamis. The factory, according to him, jetted the bikes very rich to aid in longevity (read warranty). If you do nothing else, lean that bitch out some. There be horsepressures in them thar hills...... ;) On his YZ400, same vintage, main jetted down from 290 to a 195. Made the thing come alive, and has been very reliable to boot.

I like the trunk mounting on the beemer.  Very handy, though a little distracting.
Hey i cant help notice the really cool seat on your fjr.Looks like you have kept it in great condition :D
Well, when you have such a stylin seat, you care for it right?

It sure does look nice eh? :D

Nice little bike Orange, as an old Yamahauler, ( thats a '75 RD 250 in my avatar) I say tear off the lights and make a dirt bike out of him, also bro if its been outside yer gonna need fork seals and that mono shock rebuilt fer sure. You'll see what I mean after takin out for a few hours. But as a father son project it'll kick tail. Before my heart troubles my son and I rebuilt and rode 2 Honda CR 125/250 Elsinores, those memories are priceless, especially now that serious dirt is verbotten for me ! But you've got a real little gem in the making there !!! The price was sure right...go for it....durt dont hurt (as much ;) ) !

Bobby

Ahh, lets' see.

You'll need Preston Petty plastic fenders front and rear,

Disconnect the auto-oiler so you can play the pre-mix game,

A Webco high compression head

A Hooker header (that ought to be a good one for board comments)

A Webco fork brace

Barum knobbies (the ones where the knobbies go ALL the way to the rim..

Jofra riding gear

Georgia Giant lineman boots..

oh, and of course, a GYT kit....

Have fun with the bike - ultimately the father-son memories will outlast the bike.

You'll save a ton if you get your parts off eBay and on-line used-parts dealers. All-new stuff from Yamaha, if they even stock it, will be more than the bike is worth.

They were fun, though. Knew someone who had the Suzuki 185 version. Beat the $#!T out of it from day one. Ran it dry, oil-wise, but didn't seize it. I had him fill it with old car oil (what did I know in 1978?), run it, drain it, and refill it with fresh oil. The old car oil came out full of metal, but it washed that stuff out. Amazing that he didn't kill it--or someone (he was a bit psycho).