1st time on a HD

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was headed to the house yesterday evening going past a truck stop on the highway nearby. As I rolled up close to the truck stop entrance, a guy on a HD pulls out into the road and holds his hand up to stop traffic. Then about a dozen other HD guys pull out like they're something special...
I think its the "Ride Captain" concept. They get off into this formation stuff, and they want to pack up and keep everyone together. Sort of like a Funeral.

I hear they have jobs for the Ride Captain, like pointing out interesting things along the way, and holding everyone back on speed. I hear its a rotating job that moves among the group from ride to ride.

I dunno....

The dumbest advice I ever gave a newbie was when I was one too. I assured him that that H-D Aermacchi Sprint 250 was a whole lot more bike than the CB77 305 Superhawk. Heck, that was over 40 years ago - He bought the Sprint. It spent most of its time "down." He still won't talk to me. :black eye:

It is road capt. He does not point thing out except when there may be a danger on the side of the road like a person working on a cage etc. It does not rotate. He plans the trips, does a saftey inspection on all bikes before the ride and if a bike breaks he ensures it is take care of. There is a lot you don't know about club rides.

I rented a 2008 SG in La last spring. Wanted to check it out since I was seriously considering it as my next bike. I ended up buying the FJR. THe SG was a very cool bike. I liked alot of things about it. In the end there was just a few issues I could not get around:

1. Cost.

2. Wind Buffeting (a common issue).

3. Feet out in front riding position (I have a bad back).

The bike road very well and handled corners real nice. The sound was sweet. Loved the idea of an in-dash stereo!

If I had a ton of money, I'd get a SG for a second bike and trick it all out!

Sumpin like dis:

sgwheels1lorestf1.jpg

Demo'd an 09 street glide Saturday and really enjoyed it. If you are not in a hurry and aren't looking to blast through the roads the hd was a really nice bike. I think they are finally getting it.

Have ANY FJR riders EVER done that???
Yup - it's a very common thing to do in order to keep large groups of riders together.

I guess you were never told only HD riders do that :dribble: :dribble:

It is kind of funny the ideas some people get.
That's because it's a dick move. Who cares what bike you're riding? It presumes that you getting where you want to go is more important than others on the road. If someone is exchanging safe riding for riding together then they don't belong on the road. Besides the point that by stopping vehicles on the road you are putting them at risk in exchange for your safety.

I really like my 1991 140k plus mile, original everything FLHTCU. Even after all these years it still looks and runs great. This pix from Avila Beach RTE in 2007. Some stuck-up FR owners actually threw ice at us as we braapped our loud pipes to save lives. :rolleyes: Fortunately, them FJR owners are all limp-wristed and couldn't toss an ice cube more than 3 feet! :haha:

DSCF0015-2.jpg

A friend of mine was visiting from England a couple of years ago and rented an HD, I think it was a Herritage Classic, whatever, it was big and black.

We swapped bikes outta Palm Desert along Hwy 74. I found the HD such a handfull going up the mountain. Scraping footrests on every turn, no acceleration to pass cars, vibrations so bad I couldn't see through the screen.

It was fine once I got to the top and the long straights crusing at 70, but any time I had to turn or pass anything, forget it.

Later a friend bought a Yami cruiser, a Star something. Still not my cup of tea, but far superior to the HD in terms of handling, power, comfort and smoothness. And half the price.

Sorry, HDs are just over priced, posey artwork in my book.

The basic package, I think, is well sorted out and makes for a good machine. I'm thinking it could be good to add a HD to the stable.
Don't forget to add the image, Hardly jacket, Tshirt, Sneaks,Cutoffs, AND OH YEH! Make sure your nose is pointed upwards and don't ever wave to any non american made MC's.

Did i miss anything????? :glare:
Ya! You fogot you needed to take a piss on the nearest non HD machine!

Yup - it's a very common thing to do in order to keep large groups of riders together.
LOL Because it's not true. I've seen HD's, Wings, FJR's and mixed groups do it. It's really not that big of a deal. It keeps the group safely together and inconveniences cagers for a few minutes.

It is kind of funny the ideas some people get.
That's because it's a dick move. Who cares what bike you're riding? It presumes that you getting where you want to go is more important than others on the road. If someone is exchanging safe riding for riding together then they don't belong on the road. Besides the point that by stopping vehicles on the road you are putting them at risk in exchange for your safety.

Seig Heil

Besides the point that by stopping vehicles on the road you are putting them at risk in exchange for your safety.
How are they at risk if they are stopped?

I guess you've never seen what happens when the driver of a car takes his/her eyes off the road just long enough to hit the car that is stopped for whatever reason. It's bad enough when the vehicle is stopped for a legitimate reason, but when it's stopped so that some pals on their bikes can keep the group together, that's just sad.

Still, IMO, regardless of the safety issue that you may or may not agree exists, it's a dick move because you (or whoever is holding up traffic) presume that you keeping your group together is more important than whatever the driver of the vehicle is doing.

Seig Heil
What is that supposed to mean? You have a point of view? I would assume that you disagree so, why not share? I'm interested if you have a reason that you think it's a reasonable practice. I'll admit my language is strong but I have never appreciated being inconvenienced for the convenience of someone else without being asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you've never seen what happens when the driver of a car takes his/her eyes off the road just long enough to hit the car that is stopped for whatever reason.
Yup. Happens all the time, bikes or no bikes.

Still, IMO, regardless of the safety issue that you may or may not agree exists, it's a dick move because you (or whoever is holding up traffic) presume that you keeping your group together is more important than whatever the driver of the vehicle is doing.
OK. We'll agree to disagree.

I ride mine in a full stich with a full face helmet. I don't get many waves from the self proclaimed bad ass HD guys around here (the real posers).

I do however wave at everyone what ever their ridin. it's funny watching the guys on the sport bikes react, it catches them off guard everytime.

I ride a 08 Kingpin and I make it a point to wave to every sportbike rider I see. It does suprise them often :)

Besides the point that by stopping vehicles on the road you are putting them at risk in exchange for your safety.

I guess you've never seen what happens when the driver of a car takes his/her eyes off the road just long enough to hit the car that is stopped for whatever reason. It's bad enough when the vehicle is stopped for a legitimate reason, but when it's stopped so that some pals on their bikes can keep the group together, that's just sad.

Seig Heil
What is that supposed to mean? You have a point of view? I would assume that you disagree so, why not share? I'm interested if you have a reason that you think it's a reasonable practice. I'll admit my language is strong but I have never appreciated being inconvenienced for the convenience of someone else without being asked.

It saythat you are a road NAZI that thinks every one should be just like you.

Last edited by a moderator:

So, what if they had a real cop ride out and stop the traffic instead?

Still a "dick move"?

I do not think either of us have enough information to argue if this was putting anyones safety in jeapordy. You (and I ) were not there, so we do not know what kind of traffic was on the road , the speed limit , time of day...whatever...

I guess if it was a line of school childern it be alright?

You are forgeting the key bit of information not presented here...if someone pulls out into the middle of the road and holds their hand up to stop traffic...would you be liable if you ran them down? I mean they just pulled out like they were going to turn on to the road but they stopped right in front of me..................

I agree that it's inconsiderate and arrogant to stop traffic to keep your group ride together. Face it, it just doesn't pass the common sense test of acceptable road behavior... try as you might to make excuses for it.

I agree that it's inconsiderate and arrogant to stop traffic to keep your group ride together. Face it, it just doesn't pass the common sense test of acceptable road behavior... try as you might to make excuses for it.

yes it is by far better to have a shit load of bike's spread all over trying to catch up or getting lost.

The basic package, I think, is well sorted out and makes for a good machine. I'm thinking it could be good to add a HD to the stable.
Don't forget to add the image, Hardly jacket, Tshirt, Sneaks,Cutoffs, AND OH YEH! Make sure your nose is pointed upwards and don't ever wave to any non american made MC's.

Did i miss anything????? :glare:
Ya! You fogot you needed to take a piss on the nearest non HD machine!
I hold it as long as i can just for those HD moments. :p :p :p

BTW, i am still waiting for that asshat on the electraglide to bring my map back that he stole off of my XR. I won't forget him. :assassin: