2 Different Bolts for VSTROM hand guards?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuaviator

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently installed genII vstrom handguards on my 09A. The brake lever suzuki bolt is about 1/2" too long and it moves the hand guard up about a 1/2". Is there suppose to be two different length bolts?

Thank you,

Denny

Hello,Recently installed genII vstrom handguards on my 09A. The brake lever suzuki bolt is about 1/2" too long and it moves the hand guard up about a 1/2". Is there suppose to be two different length bolts?

Thank you,

Denny
I made mine work 100% awesome.. I did a little MOD to the bolt and "die'ed" it down about 1/8" more to make it work correctly and had to use a few custom made washers I cut from a sheet of aluminum to clear my PEZZO levers.. Over all it it was easy to do, and they work ASWEOME !!! I thought it was going to be a bit more, plug-N-play but coming from a different bike I quickly found out that it didn't....

Just a friendly FYI, the clutch bolt that comes from Suzuki is stepped down on the in side of the mounting bore. Make you find a sleeve to slide on the bolt.. If you dont the steel bolt will cut into the aluminum lever and you will quickly get allot of wear and play. If you ignore this it could get real sloppy and dangerous... I found a little brass sleeve that worked great ! If you dont have one in sure you could find a small sleeve at some place like and ACE hardware...

I had a friend make some bolts for me when I installed mine. They worked out perfectly and didn't cost anything :happysmiley:

Farkles003.jpg

Farkles004.jpg

Farkles006.jpg

A familiar question. It's clearly the wrong bolt for the fjr, so you think it won't work. I say "wrong" because the two sides don't work the same way and you clearly will have to "make it work" to use it. (Did involve some stretching/bending of one of the guards--the right, I think--to get over the bolt on that side.) But I went ahead and used it anyway, figuring if it didn't work I could try something else, and it worked out fine. And I did hang onto the stock bolts, naturally, since I expect to pull the handguards off for summer riding.

If I'd used some kind of modified bolt the way I visualized it, one of the handguards--forget which was which--would have been very tight against my hand. As it is, with the kit supplied for the fjr with the guards, the spaces above my knuckles are the same, and just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the input. I put them on using the two Suzuki bolts. They work fine and the difference between the two would be only something you could see if you knew what you were looking for (although it will probably drive me crazy for a while).

I will look into putting a sleeve around the bolts. I could see how the aluminum could easily be worn by the Suzuki bolts.

Happy Riding,

Denny