2 up questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMPORTANT!!!!

Cover the procedure for getting on and off. It'll spoil your whole day if she hops on when you're not ready and the bike tips over.

With my daughters they know to wait till I give the OK to mount (a head nod.) when we stop I tap their leg when I'm ready for them to dismount.

otherwise you already got lots of good suggestions. I'd make sure her helmet fits comfortably.

I'd also take her riding on a 2 lane with scenery assuming such is readily available where you are. The interstate can easily frighten a new rider.

All the things others said but have the back rest for sure.

Make sure you tell her to stay sitting straight up on the bike and not try to turn the bike with her body. I have had new passengers try to lean "away" from the turn and turn my waist with their hands when turning.

Make sure you take it easy and not try and show her "what the bike will do".

I'd add NO WHEELIES and get her her own bike ASAP.

My wife rode on the back of my ST1100 twice, saw other ladies with their own bikes, had to have one. She started with the Kawasaki Ninja 500, lasted 6 months, Honda F4i for a couple of years, then a gen I FZ1. She loves it, so no new bikes for her for a while.

Good advice so far. I tell my passengers that I'll control the lean...they should just go with the bike (sack of potatoes concept). One thing I'll add that helps fight the new passenger's desire to lean against the turn is to have them look through the turn just like the rider should be doing.

If we're approaching a left hand turn, she should be looking over my left shoulder at where we're going and vice versa. When we're going straight, she can look wherever the hell she wants.

I had my partner watch the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD, the part about riding two up and what the passenger should be doing.

TOTAL CONFUSSION! Not advised... :lol:

Two questions at some of the first red light stops:

1) Are you okay; am I doing anything to scare you?

2) Are you comfortable?

When the wife first started riding with me she had a bad problem with rubber necking just before I would stop. A couple of times I almost laid it over. The last time she did it, it scared the crap out of her and she hasn't did it since. Also had to get a trunk with a back rest or she wasn't going to ride again with me. All in all it just takes experience being a good 2up.

Now she is an excellent passenger, wouldn't hesitate taking her anywhere.

I strongly recommend a backrest - made all the difference in both peace of mind and comfort for my wife and three kids. I have and recommend the Pirates Lair Stealth: https://piratesk12site.net/YamahaStealth.htm -- looks stock and is very comfortable.
...and very "out of stock". Darn it, this would be perfect for the wife, I hope they get sorted and start selling it again soon!

I strongly recommend a backrest - made all the difference in both peace of mind and comfort for my wife and three kids. I have and recommend the Pirates Lair Stealth: https://piratesk12site.net/YamahaStealth.htm -- looks stock and is very comfortable.
...and very "out of stock". Darn it, this would be perfect for the wife, I hope they get sorted and start selling it again soon!

I'm not sure why anyone would spend $365.00 on a back rest. Might as well get the trunk. Premier Cycles has a better price tyvm :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
We just got back from a 9 day, 2500+ mile, 2-up road trip.

I'll add one more suggestion to the other excellent suggestions so far:

A comfortable seat.

I added a Russell Day-Long just before the trip began.

For us, that seat is worth its weight in gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just got back from a 9 day, 2500+ mile, 2-up road trip.
I'll add one more suggestion to the other excellent suggestions so far:

A comfortable seat.

I added a Russell Day-Long just before the trip began.

For us, that seat is worth its weight in gold.
AMEN! and her happiness directly affects yours ;)

It also helps if you have a communication system to talk to each other while riding, I know this may not be an option for some but it made a difference with my wife, along with the Givi with back pad, just take it easy, ride like you have a glass of water and your trying not to spill it, all the advise given is above is good advise,if you can get a buddy to ride with his S/O she may feel better about the riding experence, have them take a picture of her on the back and she will see how cool she looks on the bike!!

I would skip the backrest and get a topcase. The topcase will serve 2 functions. Frist it will act as a backrest and second will allow her a place to keep all her stuff.
+1, CRITICAL!!! she needs a place to put her shit... And then when she has her shit in her hand she does not have to carry her helmet cuz it is in the topcase!!

Girls need their stuff!!

I am lucky.. My wife likes to rail up the canyons on the back.. (she is jammin on the Ipod and lookin around)

My wife ROCKS!!!!

Very good suggestions here, but be prepared for her not wanting to ride again.

She will hate the bike with nursing a bad knee; add spending tons of cash for atgatt, backrest-case and you’ll be riding alone. Borrow a helmet for her and ride around close first before laying out the bucks.

. Notice i am not a member of the drop club yet. I did say Yet, ya know.
Good luck. The wify loves to ride!
Why in gods name would you F*ck with fate like that :unsure:
Every time i venture out I get closer ever time. :glare: Actual on the third day of ownership she was going over and my son was standing neerby and caught us just in time. Another testimony for Gary's rack because that's what he grabbed onto to push us back up. Them things are built rugged.