2003 and 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim ferrell

Reaction score
I am trying to determine from those with actual experience whether the 2003 and 2006 FJRs are really that different.  Thank you.

Different enough to notice. Many incremental improvements to the '06 and up including standard ABS and slightly relaxed gearing.

Study the comparison matrix linked by RK. Are you looking for a sporty tourer or a sport tourer? 

~G 

Good question.  I am missing that power reserve that none of my cruisers have ever had.  I've owned bikes in every category except dirt bikes, and the one I rode the most was a Concours.   I miss that kind of riding, but not the ergos on the concours.  Does that mean I am looking for a sporty tourer, perhaps?  I have done the homework as far as the differences on paper.  Just wondering if the differences add up to that much in actual riding.

I own a Concours 14 and rode my pals FJR 1300 for 200 miles this last summer, I could not tell the ergonomics apart. The only difference I could pick up on was the FJR seemed slightly quieter.

Nick

2104 C-14

I own a Concours 14 and rode my pals FJR 1300 for 200 miles this last summer, I could not tell the ergonomics apart. The only difference I could pick up on was the FJR seemed slightly quieter.

Nick
Part of the "quiet" could be what's going on with the windshield.  My stock shield had a fair bit of helmet roar (6'3"), aftermarket shield gives me a pocket of still air with the shield all the way up.

I am missing that power reserve that none of my cruisers have ever had.
All FJRs from 2003 to current tick that box solidly. None are deficient.

Each generation is incremental. I believe the head work and airflow on the Gen3/4 was a more incremental improvement than Gen 2 and 1.

Sharif

My Concours 14 has a aftermarket large tall Cee Bailey windscreen, I thought the FJR was subtly mechanically quieter, but just by a fraction.  If I didn't have my Connie I'd have a FJR for sure!!  Both are very nice to ride, easy to own and ride, low matenance.

Nick

2014 C-14

I think that the Gen II is not quite the upper thigh and nut heater as the Gen I. Not a big deal in a cooler climate but ride a few hundred miles in the 90's and there is a big difference. IMHO

I have an 05 ABS and my friend has an 06 I have ridden often.  I'm going to start with the heat issue.  There is a slight difference, but there is also a "fix". for 2003 to 2005 FJRs that makes it just as cool as any Gen II.  Also the Gen II has it's own heat issue at the ankle and lower leg level.  The heat fix seals the gap between the frame and engine at the front, uses closed cell foam around the right fairing and a thermal barrier between the gas tank and engine that tucks into the front of the seat and keeps the heat off your family jewels.  I have ridding in temperatures well over 100 degrees, and while it's like riding in the blast of a  hair dryer, the engine heat is no longer an issue.

My gripes with both the 2006 and 2007 models is the throttle-snatch that can cause sudden unpredictable handling, especially where traction is compromised by gravel or a loose surface.   I picked my buddy and his bike up off Mt Hamilton Road below the observatories before we fixed that with a throttle tamer. Both bikes need a CCT change but on a 03 it is not an option you can wait to do.  BOTH Gen I and Gen II bikes are transformed by upgrading the fork springs and main shock.  It makes a huge difference in the capabilities of these bikes.  I have done long cross-country trips and will tell you the bike you ride is the best one.  Make it yours, and ask questions if you have them. Lots of us have many years of experience improving the basic bike.

Thank you for all the replies.  I am sure to be asking more newby questions, but will read up first on what I can find in the FAQs, etc.

Make sure the ground spider recall work has been done on the 2006 if you go that route. A bad ground can make weird things happen!!!

Also, make sure ABS works. 2003 won't have it, 2006 will. The solenoid blocks freeze up with non-use, and then there's no ABS when you actually need it.

All of that is in the FAQ sections, and those are the only negatives I can think of.

Mileage is almost irrelevant on these things. Many many many over 100,000, quite a few over 200K, and at least one over 300K. About the only people that devalue by mileage are dealers and insurance companies. 😄

Thank you for the heads up.  I went with the 03.  I've been doing some maintenance items on 'er because she seems to not have had them done for some time, ie black K&N air filter, etc. She needs some TLC. 

black K&N air filter, etc.
I'm not convinced that the K&N filters do as good a job of removing fine particulates.  They certainly don't yield any additional power.  I use OEM filters and blow them out with compressed air once or twice between changes.  Replacement every couple of years or so - depending upon where and how much I am riding.

I too, slapped down ~$80 Canuck about 5 years ago, and purchased the K&N filter for my Gen1.  Used it for a couple years, and then after reading a few (controversial?) science-based studies, concluded that the potential benefits of the K&N [oiled design] over a conventional [paper] filter may be a bit exaggerated.  Further, as an oil-based air filter gets dirty - due to that oil catching so many dust particles - actual airflow starts to suffer (faster than with a cheaper paper unit).

In the end, I swapped out that K&N unit for conventional paper, and it got sold as an accessory when I sold my Gen1 to its next sweaty-handed owner.

I have an 05 ABS and my friend has an 06 I have ridden often.  I'm going to start with the heat issue.  There is a slight difference, but there is also a "fix". for 2003 to 2005 FJRs that makes it just as cool as any Gen II.  Also the Gen II has it's own heat issue at the ankle and lower leg level.  The heat fix seals the gap between the frame and engine at the front, uses closed cell foam around the right fairing and a thermal barrier between the gas tank and engine that tucks into the front of the seat and keeps the heat off your family jewels.  I have ridding in temperatures well over 100 degrees, and while it's like riding in the blast of a  hair dryer, the engine heat is no longer an issue.

My gripes with both the 2006 and 2007 models is the throttle-snatch that can cause sudden unpredictable handling, especially where traction is compromised by gravel or a loose surface.   I picked my buddy and his bike up off Mt Hamilton Road below the observatories before we fixed that with a throttle tamer. Both bikes need a CCT change but on a 03 it is not an option you can wait to do.  BOTH Gen I and Gen II bikes are transformed by upgrading the fork springs and main shock.  It makes a huge difference in the capabilities of these bikes.  I have done long cross-country trips and will tell you the bike you ride is the best one.  Make it yours, and ask questions if you have them. Lots of us have many years of experience improving the basic bike.
Yup. #759 of the first wave of PdP 2003 models to hit the US. Heat was marginally an issue but every bike I've ever had with a fairing is hot when it's summer here (100+ºF for usually a month sometimes more). I lived with it for about 2 years and really didn't think much of it but did the Crommet fix and documented the insulating of the underside of the tank. First with "rock wool" firewall insulation then, later with that reflective foil bubble sheet. More for the risk of heating the fuel than for heating me.

Yup. #759 of the first wave of PdP 2003 models to hit the US. Heat was marginally an issue but every bike I've ever had with a fairing is hot when it's summer here (100+ºF for usually a month sometimes more). I lived with it for about 2 years and really didn't think much of it but did the Crommet fix and documented the insulating of the underside of the tank. First with "rock wool" firewall insulation then, later with that reflective foil bubble sheet. More for the risk of heating the fuel than for heating me.
I had #216 of the first bunch and found the heat wasn't that bad as long as I had on good gear. Over time I did some insulation but it never was a serious problem. My current 04 is stock and is no problem.

For a 'First model' the 2003 (2002 in EU) was a marvel of engineering! Lightest and fastest (and prettiest) of all FJRs due to higher gearing and less weight. Very few 'tickers' otherwise NO issues. 

The 2006 was a Gen2 'First model' and many of the 'improvements' needed improvement. Throttle was jerky, Jbox recall, ABS added ...therefore heavier and slower but still works better than 90% of other bikes out there.  

I also own the 2013 Gen 3 'First model' and it's got everything improved (but the 6th gear) and everything works! Still heavier and maybe slower but new gearing and ride modes with heated grips and CC make me forget about everything but FUN!!!

I did replace the K&N with a stock unit.  Have a charging issue or a bad battery.  Wouldn't start after gassing up.  Luckily close to home.  Haven't had the time to firgure it out yet...