2003 FXDX Out/2007 FJR In

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
:rolleyes: As a newish Forum member (4/10/08) I delivered (rode) my 03 Dyna Super Glide Sport to the new owner yesterday in Clovis, and am scheduled to take delivery of a new 07 FJRA tomorrow at LA Yamaha (OTD Cyclesports, $11999 out the door - cheap!). Happy/sad day, as I have genuinely enjoyed the black beauty and have had 23K virtually trouble-free miles, and yet really excited to be getting a feejer and moving up to a new level of performance, technology, comfort, etc. (have watched them since 03 on the road and in cycle rags). In a perfect world would have kept the FXDX, but two street bikes not in the cards for now (later for sure).

I will be trailering the bike home (200 mi) as I do not want to break in on I-5/Highway 99 and would prefer to do the initial riding on my local country roads where I can better control traffic flow, etc. The mileage is certainly not the issue as 200 miles is a good Saturday ride for me!

I have read the many great threads on tie-down spots on the feejer, and the concensus seems to be split over whether the bars or the lower triple trees are the preferred spot. I will have tie down equipment with me tomorrow, and will just see what looks best once my Dad and I get to Marina Del Rey where the bike awaits.

The vast amount of information and knowledge (and razor-sharp wits) within the members of this site is truly astounding, and I hope to be able to throw out a few "pithy pellets" as well as I discover the ins and outs of the FJR. We'll see you on the road!!

Boy that's a bit of a difference in bikes! I think you'll be really happy with the FJR, particularly in the accelleration and handling departments!

Canyon Dancer works good too for tie down. Used mine many many times.

I would suggest triple tree just because the handlebars aren't a solid bar, but rather two bars, left and right. Not sure how well a bar will take that kind of cantilever force. I will add though that I haven't tied down my feejer yet so this is just my thoughts, not experience. I will be interested in seeing the consensus of opinions here.

I had a 02 Sport...did the big bore and everything to it. It ran great....but I discovered that I missed the sport touring bikes and couldn't keep both. You'll love the FJR.

Gary

I have used the bars, even with D&D risers, to tie down the FJR, also using one of those those little cuffs-and-straps setups (not the Canyon Dancer by name). I realize this is not the best idea but have hauled it as far as 2,000 miles round trip, and other shorter trips ranging 400-800 miles, without incident (Hey, I live in Montana where it is supposed to snow again tomorrow and where you have to haul a bike some ways during winter to find acceptable or ideal riding conditions). I've never been able to see how to attach at the tree without fouling plastic or something, given my trailer and pickup box attachment points.

Congrats, be safe, enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will get back to you in the morning on where to tie down the front-end but here is how and where I tie down my rear end:

FJRHANDLE.jpg

I left the tape there so you could see what kind of tape to use as per it is the painters type that you can get off easier that the regular type of tape. The method that I use is:

- - - Apply 3 to 5 complete raps around the grab handle on both sides of the rear seat

- - - The easy way is to remove the grab handle and just start wraping around until the entire handle is

wrapped or you can leave the handle in place and tear-off 4 inch pieces of tape and keep putting

them on until the entire handle is good and covered.

- - - To remove the tape REAL EASY, go under the rear seat and remove the handle part by removing the

screws holding it in place

- - - Put the entire rack in the sink in some water for a small time and the tape will come off like buter

- - - If you like manual labor, just stand in place and peel the tape of piece by piece

I have gone from NY to Florida 3 times with my bike on the trailer using this method and there are no scars on my passenger grab handle.

See you in tha morning for the pics of the front-end.

Vinni

LSUBOY:I am blowing out at 6:30am to head to LA where the bike is.

Can you just describe verbally?

Thanks.
Man you are going to love the FJR.As far as getting it home the canyon dancer would work but personally I am leary of putting that much force on those bars.My preferred method is to use a friends trailer with wheel locks.I have access to another trailer that is not so trick,locks the front end securely and requires a lot more work.The ramp/chock is enough to allow the bike to stand upright.I use six ratchet style tie downs and some towels for cushioning.I take my tiedowns and wrap a towel so i dont scuff and thread them through the wheels pulling forward on the front wheel and repeat on the back.I then use two on my luggage rack in securing it to keep it upright.Kinda blows when some of the best strapless transport docking systems have been made for,crotch rockets HD,Wings and nothing else.I have a soft spot for Buell and rode the new XB12XT.Very nice bike but I am so spoiled.My 04 put it to shame.Three must haves on your FJR.Heli-Bars,Russel seat and Givi Trunk system with their rack

Dead Rat - now that's a good handle.

The trailer I am using has wood floors, so once we have the feejer (somewhat) gently strapped down, we will chock the front & rear wheels with 2 x 4 planks nailed to the floor. And, we have a 4 x 4 block cut on an angle to chock/nail behind the rear wheel so the bike cannot possibly roll backward.

I will consider the heli-bars once I see how the factory bars fit my 35" monkey arms. Maybe all will be well with them??

Thanks for the thoughts and keep the shiny side up!

bikn....

Dead Rat - now that's a good handle.The trailer I am using has wood floors, so once we have the feejer (somewhat) gently strapped down, we will chock the front & rear wheels with 2 x 4 planks nailed to the floor. And, we have a 4 x 4 block cut on an angle to chock/nail behind the rear wheel so the bike cannot possibly roll backward.

I will consider the heli-bars once I see how the factory bars fit my 35" monkey arms. Maybe all will be well with them??

bikn....
I can understand wanting to pick it up and take it to the home turf, but to me trailering for just this short distance sounds like more trouble than its worth. 200 miles on the FJR is as nothing. Heck, up here in Northern California riding 200 miles to the start of a group ride is considered par for the course. :D
But in any event, do remember to add a pair of sliders pronto. Especially if you're coming from a cruiser with its lower center of gravity.

Oh, and welcome to the brotherhood! Perhaps will see you on a ride before too long...

Dead Rat - now that's a good handle.The trailer I am using has wood floors, so once we have the feejer (somewhat) gently strapped down, we will chock the front & rear wheels with 2 x 4 planks nailed to the floor. And, we have a 4 x 4 block cut on an angle to chock/nail behind the rear wheel so the bike cannot possibly roll backward.

bikn....
Looks like LSU has the same method I have used so look for his photos.35" reach? MAN!! Remind me not to get to close if you get mad!Have a safe trip to LA

Garywayne:Any regrets in sellling the FXDX?

I know the FJR will be fab.

I miss it sometimes (I've had 3 Harleys) but found for me I'm more comfortable on the sport touring bikes. I do alot of long trips (leaving the end of May for 2 weeks) and the FJR is a better bike (again for me) for that type of trip.

Gary

A. Kall the dealer and tell them you wanna keep the boxes that the bags came in. And, if they have

already thrown the boxes away, then you must carry some heavy blankets and some tape to tape

the blankets around the bags before you put them in the trunk of yo car.

B. Use RATCHET style straps ONLY.

1. Get some of them little straps that they use to loop around things before putting the straps on them.

C. Do the rear end first but only cinch the straps down enough to hold the bike upright.

D. Do the front-end now and ratchet the front end down until the front-end will not bounce/recoil when

you push down on it.

E. Now ratchet the rear-end down until their is no bounce/recoil in it.

Pics. of:

- - - Small strap loop around the upper inside of the forks before connecting ratchet strap to it.

- - - Rear of bike where strap connects to hand rail

- - - Blue painters tape taped on rear rail to keep any scars/mars away.

Conclusion: If using this method for the 1st time, check torque of all straps every 50 miles or so until you are at ease with their ability to stay tight. I usually check mine every 100 to 200 miles or so or everytime I stop the truck.

TIEDOWN1.jpg

TIEDOWN2.jpg

Looking up from the front of the bike:

TIEDOWN3.jpg

Enjoy / Vinni

I have a 03 Harley FXDX as well as the 05 FJR. Love the FXDX as well as the Yamaha and each serves a different purpose :D B) .

I have a 03 Harley FXDX as well as the 05 FJR. Love the FXDX as well as the Yamaha and each serves a different purpose :D B) .
Well, I wanted to keep the FXDX, but needed the $$ to put towards the FJR.

Each is very different from the other, as I yesterday rode one of my fave roads on the feejer for the 1st time. WOW!

I still have some seller's remorse, but Harlot went to a good home.

Latest posts