2006 Gearing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu64

Reaction score
What was changed on the 2006's gearing? Did they change the final drive ratio?

If so, to what ratio? I would like to see if i could change the ratio on my 05'.

I think a slightly taller rear gear. Specifications should be out soon. Why change? Marginally (??) slower acceleration and no more top end available. :haha:

If ya wanted fuel economy get a thumper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a slightly taller rear gear. Specifications should be out soon. Why change? Marginally (??) slower acceleration and no more top end available. :haha:
If ya wanted fuel economy get a thumper.
Not looking for more top end or fuel mileage wouldn't care if i only got 25 miles to the gallon,what i want is less rpm's at my cruising speed 75mph.

If i wanted a bike for acceleration i would have kept my zx12r or buy a new zx14.

Supposedly, the final drive for the Yamaha tourer (I forget the name, V-4 shaft drive) is a bolt on, and it has a slightly taller gear set. You might scour the local bike wreckeing yards.

4500 RPMs, right in the middle of the torque curve for easy passing... :unsure:

mike:

The Royal star? Hmmm... That taller gear is all that I am interested in, and I'm not trading in my '05 anytime soon. Any more details on this? I'll take a chance and get my mechanic to do it, if it's possible.

I'll take a chance and get my mechanic to do it, if it's possible.
Did someone call? :beach:

I think you could install a much taller rear tire and accomplish the gear reduction ...but that may mean chopping the FJR and making it into a touring/cruiser. :lol:

RB

Supposedly, the final drive for the Yamaha tourer (I forget the name, V-4 shaft drive) is a bolt on, and it has a slightly taller gear set. You might scour the local bike wreckeing yards.4500 RPMs, right in the middle of the torque curve for easy passing... :unsure:
Yamaha venture early 90's models

This was a very common mod with the old Honda V45 and V65 models....both used the same shaft drive unit other than the final drive ratio. The V45 was lower (hgher numerically) gear that really made the V65 accelerate hard.

There have been discussions about this before. Maybe on another board in another galaxy, far, far away. Probably not in their search engine, but it has been discussed. I think it IS the Venture. It really isn't that difficult a job:

Pull the rear wheel

4 bolts/acorn nuts-remove the pumpkin and shaft

the shaft pulls out of one pumpkin and into the other

reassemble

Check the rear brake change on www.FJR Tech for pictures and intructions on pulling the rear wheel, then lubing the splines. There is enough information there to do the job....if you are the least bit handy with tools and a torque wrench. If not, find a good repairman :D .

IMHO, it might not be worth the trouble, but IIRC, Bobvail was toying with the idea for fuel mileage while pulling his trailer, so you might check with him.