2007 FJR1300 AE 52,141 miles, question on recalls, service bulletins and running temperatures.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurvivorGuy

Reaction score
Just acquired this FJR and want to make sure I am safe to drive

RECALLS

1st recall main switch was replaced
2nd Wire Harness assembly replaced
3rd wire sub lead replaced

Service Bulletin

Reinforcement kit for the bags service Bulletin "no info"
Alternate ECU Not completed

Also, a question on temperature.. I am in AZ and on hot days the temp gets right up to halfway mark. Sitting at lights the temp climes to the 3/4 mark. is this normal. Once the bike starts moving the temperature seems to drop rapidly ..

One more question...there is no tool kit. What tools are recommended to carry..

Last edited:
Reinforcement kit was for the top box, not the side bags

ECU Throttle body?? No idea and I had a 2007...

There was an additional harness for a ground "spider", not ignition. You mention the harness in #7 and I am not aware of anything else for ignition ground.

Ignition switch needs replacement - should be done (there were failures)

There was a replacement for the ECU where it did not properly handle big changes in elevation. A "goodwill" recall and I'm not sure if Yamaha is still doing it. If you do a lot of riding in the mountains, you might want to get it done. Better still, get an ebay replacement ECU from 2009-2012 - I think it should work and is likely to improve the "snatchy" throttle (at low openings) which is a problem with early Gen II.

Good idea to replace the cam chain tensioner if original. Partway through the 2007 model year, Yamaha went to an improved design although there was never a recall. There were a few grenaded engines due to CCT failure. If the valve clearance check hasn't been done, it is due and makes sense to replace the CCT at the same time. New design has a blue or green dot on the side of the mounting flange.

3/4 temperature sitting at idle on a hot day isn't an issue.

Not much useful in the tool kit - the only thing I use is the spark plug socket when changing plugs. Depends on how far you are away from home and what you are comfortable doing at the side of the road. Cell phone and credit card are the most useful tools IMO. I always carry tire repair stuff and compressor if on a trip, spare fuses and a set of Allen keys. Usually have a multi-tool as well. Don't usually bother with a set of wrenches other than sometimes an adjustable.

Will they occur? Maybe, maybe not. 52,000 miles is relatively little for an FJR. The electrical ones (especially the switch) are probably the most risk of leaving you stranded on the side of the road with zero worky. Get them done if they're covered by Yamaha.

Tool kit? I'd start by searching on "tool kit recommendation" as it's been covered many times before including this thread. More importantly, I'd start with New Owners Read This.

As for cooling, is it showing a light, spewing coolant, or over 230 degrees? (3/4 is not any of those by the way) I'd worry less & ride more. The FJR is inherently a very reliable platform. Throw in maintenance and recalls being done....even more.

Will they occur? Maybe, maybe not. 52,000 miles is relatively little for an FJR. The electrical ones (especially the switch) are probably the most risk of leaving you stranded on the side of the road with zero worky. Get them done if they're covered by Yamaha.

Tool kit? I'd start by searching on "tool kit recommendation" as it's been covered many times before including this thread. More importantly, I'd start with New Owners Read This.

As for cooling, is it showing a light, spewing coolant, or over 230 degrees? (3/4 is not any of those by the way) I'd worry less & ride more. The FJR is inherently a very reliable platform. Throw in maintenance and recalls being done....even more.
Hi Ignacio,

Through this site, I found Yamaha's 800# WOW! I should have called before I started this thread, I was shocked and totally stoked with Greg the Yamaha rep. He knew everything about the FJR and gave me info which then caused me to go back and edit my post. my apologies

Recalls were addressed
The main on-off switch replaced in 2009
Wire Harness assembly replaced 2021
Wire Sub lead replaced 2021-----I do believe the last two were affecting how the transmission was shifting..

ECU/Altitude sensor not replaced, Yamaha rep suggested I go to the local dealer and request an "out of warranty Service Claim" part # 908913005400 part is available

The Yamaha Rep who assisted me was super knowable and a true professional
I recommend when calling 800 962 7926 hit extension # 17610 which is Greg's direct line..

Once again my apologies for the edits, I called the Local Yamaha dealer who was wrong and gave me bad intel, when he said the recalls were not done. A bit of a disclaimer on why my original post was edited..

Last edited:
I have my original recalled '07 ECU for sale for $150 if you just want to do it yourself.
Met up with a service writer at the local Yamaha dealership this afternoon. We started the process of an "out of warranty claim"..The rep at Honda said ECU's are still available. So at this point, I am in a wait-and-see situation. If they deny the claim I would be interested. Why would your ECU operate better than mine?

Met up with a service writer at the local Yamaha dealership this afternoon. We started the process of an "out of warranty claim"..The rep at Honda said ECU's are still available. So at this point, I am in a wait-and-see situation. If they deny the claim I would be interested. Why would your ECU operate better than mine?
The factory installed ECU back then had a little programming glitch with altitude changes. The fuel system would start acting goofy. You'd have to cycle the ignition to straighten it out.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/06-12-bin-o-facts-generation-ii.154948/

Did the cluster issue affect the '07? I think it was an SB and not a recall. My '06 had it, the average MPG displayed was incorrect. Not that I ever used it. I still have a brand new fixed cluster in the box.

Did the cluster issue affect the '07? I think it was an SB and not a recall. My '06 had it, the average MPG displayed was incorrect. Not that I ever used it. I still have a brand new fixed cluster in the box.
Just the early '06 model IIRC.

Ivan's flash:. It's different in some ways, but IMHO overall not better.
Quite a lot of discussion on the Ivan "Flash" for Gen II. Most seem to like it but not everyone.
Have a read and decide for yourself. I considered it but decided not to bother for my 2011. Nothing I dislike enough to risk making things worse.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/gen-ii-ecu-reflash-by-ivan.177589/
I probably would have gone ahead with it for the 2007 if it had been available at the time.
Note: If you don't like it, Ivan will set the ECU back to original specs but you are still out the cost for the flash.

I would verify if the recalls were actually done on your bike. My experience with my 2006 AE doesn’t give me confidence with Yamaha’s process/record keeping for the recalls. I was told by Yamaha’s customer service rep that 2 recalls had been completed - ignition switch replaced and main wiring harness replaced. Then my bike stalled and was towed, and I discovered that neither recall was done. Original switch and harness was still on the bike. Pictures submitted to Yamaha 4 months ago and the local dealer still hasn’t received approval or wiring harness from Yamaha. In the meantime, I installed a new ignition switch and wire sub harness so I could ride the bike without worrying about getting stranded or worse.

Just got my 09 last year very low miles
3k. Recalls on my 2009 . Done , the switch and wire sub-lead was updated. Which protected the harness, might be b-s. Dealer said - The wiring harness one had expired.

I would verify if the recalls were actually done on your bike. My experience with my 2006 AE doesn’t give me confidence with Yamaha’s process/record keeping for the recalls. I was told by Yamaha’s customer service rep that 2 recalls had been completed - ignition switch replaced and main wiring harness replaced. Then my bike stalled and was towed, and I discovered that neither recall was done. Original switch and harness was still on the bike. Pictures submitted to Yamaha 4 months ago and the local dealer still hasn’t received approval or wiring harness from Yamaha. In the meantime, I installed a new ignition switch and wire sub harness so I could ride the bike without worrying about getting stranded or worse.
Yo Diablo1: does your name refer to the 1st gen Lamborghini diablo ever built? Sorry to hear about your experience with your FJR and Yamaha. Luckily records came with the bike that verifies the last two recalls and the rep seemed very knowledgeable and honest in reference to the initial recalls and how to go about getting Yamaha to honor the ECU. I have an apt with the dealer next week, they are going to pull the existing ECU take pictures, and send the pic's to Yamaha to verify the ECU has not been replaced which would confirm your experience that Yamaha might not always report the repairs or positively know the repairs have either been completed or not. Hopefully, I get the right info and hopefully if it's the original ECU they will replace it or, I can pay extra and have a gen 2 ECU installed..thanks for the heads up!

Just got my 09 last year very low miles
3k. Recalls on my 2009 . Done , the switch and wire sub-lead was updated. Which protected the harness, might be b-s. Dealer said - The wiring harness one had expired.
Yo thefix: have you attempted to ask the Yamaha service department to file an out-of-service warranty claim? My 09 ECU recall has obviously expired but so far it appears and I stress appears the out-of-service claim is working for me..

Yo Diablo1: does your name refer to the 1st gen Lamborghini diablo ever built? Sorry to hear about your experience with your FJR and Yamaha. Luckily records came with the bike that verifies the last two recalls and the rep seemed very knowledgeable and honest in reference to the initial recalls and how to go about getting Yamaha to honor the ECU. I have an apt with the dealer next week, they are going to pull the existing ECU take pictures, and send the pic's to Yamaha to verify the ECU has not been replaced which would confirm your experience that Yamaha might not always report the repairs or positively know the repairs have either been completed or not. Hopefully, I get the right info and hopefully if it's the original ECU they will replace it or, I can pay extra and have a gen 2 ECU installed..thanks for the heads up!
No Lamborghini for me. My handle is from a scale model aerobatic R/C plane. In order to verify the ignition switch and wire harness recall, lift the fuel tank and check the part numbers and compare with the recall bulletin that the dealer has on their computer. Dealers can scam Yamaha and get paid for recalls that weren’t done. Yamaha should require dealers to send photos to document critical safety work was actually done. In this digital age, it’s easy to do.

Just acquired this FJR and want to make sure I am safe to drive

RECALLS

1st recall main switch was replaced
2nd Wire Harness assembly replaced
3rd wire sub lead replaced

Service Bulletin

Reinforcement kit for the bags service Bulletin "no info"
Alternate ECU Not completed

Also, a question on temperature.. I am in AZ and on hot days the temp gets right up to halfway mark. Sitting at lights the temp climes to the 3/4 mark. is this normal. Once the bike starts moving the temperature seems to drop rapidly ..

One more question...there is no tool kit. What tools are recommended to carry. I have an '07 AE with 229,000 miles. It had 53,000 miles when I bought it ten years ago. When the weather is hot...or when idling for long periods in weather that's warmer than cool... the temp gauge will work its way up to 2 bars above middle. If there sustained, the fans will eventually come on and cause the guage to drop back down a bar or two. At sustained speed, the guage usually stays in the middle position (or one or two bars below middle if it's VERY cold out). This has been the guage's behavior always.

Yamaha replaced the ECU yesterday. A huge thanks to Yamaha for standing behind their machines and for honoring our of date service bulletins.

Stoked as I was expecting to see no difference except for high-altitude riding. The performance is undeniably and noticeably better through the entire powerband.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and input. Only wish Yamaha had let me keep the old ECU..

Cheers

Attachments

• 20220406_104732.jpg
    20220406_104732.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220406_104741.jpg
    20220406_104741.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220406_104455.jpg
    20220406_104455.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3